Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Turnigy Marine 60A BEC Waterproof Speed Controller with Water Cooling  (Read 1721 times)

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!

Turnigy Marine 60A BEC Waterproof Speed Controller with Water Cooling

Any one know if these controllers will run off lead acid batteries and if they are any good for use in a Deans destroyer for instance?

LB

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer

Yes a brushless esc doesn't care about your battery chemistry as long as it can deliver the required current. However I would question why you would be looking to go brushless for such a craft.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer

It's to do with power to weight ratio really, I would like to experiment with using brushless motors in smaller hulls such as a destroyer hull, and making them a little bit more stable.

LB

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer

With a hull with marginal stability that wants power, brushless does seem a good idea. 
But then again, why restrict the weight distribution by putting a fixed size and shape lump of lead where it "has" to go?  Surely better to go for either LiPo (which the brushless ESC is probably designed for) or NiMH (which can be custom shaped).  Either type is lighter, and this opens the possibility of low mounted lead ballast to keep the CoG as low as possible.
I wouldn't normally think of ballast in a fast boat, but a destroyer is a displacement hull, so a lighter battery where wanted with ballast to put the CoG where it is needed makes sense.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer

Malcolm,

I take on board what you are saying the real problem for me anyway, is that I no experience of using these modern batteries or brushless motors for that matter. I've just looked at the Hobby King site and I'm more confused than ever as to what I need; that being the case I think I'll trundle down to Bangor and have a word with Component Shop later next week and seek some advice.

If nothing else it will a reason to take the Jag out for a run.

LB

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.

Hi LB, how big is your destroyer? I'm guessing it's around 40 inches. Long thin models like this need very little power to go quickly, I've a similar model that runs around 25 watts, that's 2 motors pulling about an amp each on a 7.2 volt battery.
 The advantages of brush less motors, which I use in other models, are small size, efficiency and potentially lots of power. You need to be able to turn medium sized props from slow speed upwards, which brushed motors are better at.
 I'm not saying you can't do it with brush less, just that it's a poor and possibly expensive solution, you'll need high torque low kV motors, ideally that can run from 4 volts upward, ( 1c-2c)
Chas

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.