Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Biting off more than I can chew  (Read 3015 times)

Chillitt

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Biting off more than I can chew
« on: April 16, 2018, 01:26:07 pm »

Hello, thought I'd better check in since I'm new.
Been messing about with plastic kits for ages but I've just found something and I think I might be struggling. It's a John Piper HMS Grey Goose. I have used etched brass bit before but never white metal parts, so I'm looking for clues. This site was recommended to me so I'm here to be talked into it or out of it... :-)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Biting off more than I can chew
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 01:46:51 pm »

Hello Chillitt,

Welcome to Mayhem.  We hope you enjoy yourself here as questions will always be answered  (and you might even end up back with me !)

I think it fair to say we've all worked white metal parts.  These are usually heavy and solid, although soft, so please be careful when shaping them. They can be shaped and trimmed quite easily. The thing to watch out for is from overworking them and undercutting any shape you are trying to re-form. Solder can added at the risk of overheating the shape.

best of luck and don't forget some pictures.

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 02:40:11 pm »

cutting timming can be done with sharp craft knife or stanley type knife. ordinary fine file for detail work. If they are multi part fixtures, some people solder, but personally if there is a gap to fill go for epoxy glue, if the fit is close enough superglue will suffice.

Chillitt

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 03:05:14 pm »

Thank you both, I will get some pics. Glad I dont have to try and solder this together!  :-))

Chillitt

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 03:40:13 pm »

big_bri

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 04:28:50 pm »

The John Piper kits are pretty good, I have three of them, two of the Grey Goose and one Flower class corvette and have already built another Goose. The white metal fittings are good quality, I have only needed to remove some slight flash and then buff them with a small brass suede brush, they came up really well and were ready for priming. A wee warning, the brass inlay on the bow is prone to splitting the gelcoat on the hull, a little bit of care is needed when fitting, but otherwise, a fine little kit :-))
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Brian

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 05:53:54 pm »

The John Piper kits are pretty good, I have three of them, two of the Grey Goose and one Flower class corvette and have already built another Goose.

oh big bri, you do them a did service by saying they are pretty good...............I could never afford one when I were younger, but having looked at one in the early 90's at the model shop in Southport, all I can say is they were the Rolls Royce of model kits, to my mind............you are a lucky man having 3 of them.............enjoy them., and Chillitt, enjoy your build too.

big_bri

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 08:37:45 pm »

Your correct Neil, when they came out, they were THE top notch models for quality, even by todays standards, they are still exceptional kits and make very fine models.
I acquired mine over the years, eBay, mag adds etc. spent over the odds on one, but still worth it in my opinion. The corvette is tremendous, I'm going to have to build them one day.
Good luck with your build Chillitt, I may have some pics of my build, I'll have look, but I think they may be lost now.

Saw a Grey Goose for sale on eBay a couple of years ago, starting at 700 quid!!! bonkers!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Brian

Chillitt

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 08:47:32 pm »

Your correct Neil, when they came out, they were THE top notch models for quality, even by todays standards, they are still exceptional kits and make very fine models.
I acquired mine over the years, eBay, mag adds etc. spent over the odds on one, but still worth it in my opinion. The corvette is tremendous, I'm going to have to build them one day.
Good luck with your build Chillitt, I may have some pics of my build, I'll have look, but I think they may be lost now.

Saw a Grey Goose for sale on eBay a couple of years ago, starting at 700 quid!!! bonkers!

I'd take 500 since the box is damaged... :}
Pics would be handy, no rush, it's going to have to wait till I have some new reading glasses

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 09:56:41 am »

sorry chillitt...........but if you are selling, you need to accumulate at least 25 meaningful posts and put it in the for sale spot............

I couldn't afford one years ago, and have enough models to build to last me a lifetime.............build it yourself and enjoy it.

neil.

Chillitt

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 10:08:47 am »

Not selling, and not just because I doubt I'll ever manage 25 meaningful posts... {-)  Soon as I've got my new reading glasses I'll make a start.  :-))

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 12:17:43 pm »

Not selling, and not just because I doubt I'll ever manage 25 meaningful posts... {-)  Soon as I've got my new reading glasses I'll make a start.  :-))

that's what we are here for, and just longing to see a build of her.

Sadly when they were a new kit,  forums like this were none existent and the kits so expensive I don't think model boats or marine modelling were ever given one to review so it will be a delight to see one built bit by bit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.