Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New secondhand cruiser maybe Aero Kit  (Read 2663 times)

Hurric123

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
New secondhand cruiser maybe Aero Kit
« on: April 13, 2018, 09:30:47 pm »

Hi all I have just bought an old secondhand 38 inch cruiser from an online auction. I hope the pictures are attached. The boat has had an engine in the past. I am looking for info on the type and size of motor and prop to fit to go electric, and also the actual identity and possible age of this model.
This model has a fairly flat bottom and a small rudder so I dont think it will be a fast boat just a river cruiser type.
Thanks

Vintage

• Full Mayhemer
    • Artisan Works
Re: New secondhand cruiser maybe Aero Kit
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 10:42:51 pm »

That's a nice looking boat :-))

I'm fairly sure it's a "Maycraft Mercury", you'll find more info. on it if you scroll down the page on the following link:  Vintage Model Works - Boat History.

Hope this helps.

Mark
Reproduction wooden stands for the full range of vintage Star Yacht models are available from Vintage Pond Yachts

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 11:23:46 pm »

Definitely a Mercury, the second boat I made way back in time. A boat to be treasured, and a rare beast now. You are a lucky chap. Mine had an E.D. 3.5 cc engine and had a respectable speed for the time. It's worth putting a decent motor in, just don't aim for speed freak performance or it will look silly on the water.
Chas

Hurric123

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 06:11:15 am »

Hi chaps,
You are right its definitely a  Maycraft Mercury. Its in pretty good condition just a couple of hand rails missing , a couple of window issues and a crack in the roof. I wont put an engine back because you are not allowed engines on my local lake . I definitely will go for a motor. Is it worth going for a water cooled motor as I could probably use the existing plumbing for the water cooling?
Regards

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 06:58:42 am »

Hi Hurric123

For a nice cruiser setup, go a 3639-1100kv brushless motor with a 60Amp car ESC(Hobbyking HK60A SL), 3S 5800mah Lipo Battery and a 2 blade 40mm prop.
You will require no water cooling for either the motor or ESC.
Nice and simple.
This is my setup for my Sea Commander for the last year and have not had a problem.
Good for about 3/4 hour run with a bit of flat out.

Nice boat and a great find !!!

Canabus

chas

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 07:24:23 am »

I totally agree with canobus, that's a great set up. Water cooling of brush less is fine for motors running near their limit and getting very hot, but that's not what you need here. Remove the scoop and outlet, and plug and seal the holes.
Chas

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 08:55:32 am »

The Maycraft kits were not cheap and it does look good,  The ring on the roof maybe someones idea of a DF loop (direction finding), I think it is rather large for the scale.  Personally I would go with your idea of a river cruiser. 
These boats do not have to travel like scalded cats.  If you are new to boating I have a thought for you.  Many people know where their boat is but fewer know where it is going.  I echo Chas on speed.
kind regards and good luck with your purchase.
Roy

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 12:53:56 pm »

Hi
Totally right roycv, the DF loop looks out of place !!!
A searchlight or horn would look better.
As for my suggesting for a power setup, this is my basic start point for 30 to 45" boats.
Without changing prop and ESC you can change the battery to 4S Lipo or change to 3648- 1450kv motor.
But beware changing to the 3648 -1450kv with a 4S Lipo battery is into speed boat class.
These brushless motors are only about the size of the old 540 brush motors, but, about 90 Watts against 800 Watts plus is a bit of a big game changer !!

My old OS 40 FSR was 1.6 BHP @ 20000 rpm and the 3648-1450kv on 4S is 1600 watts( about 2.25 BHP) @ 21460 rpm, but, the sound of that old OS is still in my heart.
An old classic boat with the looks, but, with a bit of go !!!
My Aerokits Sea Hornet has a 1900kv 28mm brushless motor on 3S with a 32mm 2 blade prop and has GPS at 45 KPH.

Canabus

Hurric123

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 02:46:38 pm »

Thanks for this info again chaps.
I will go with your power recommendations. This prop shaft is defiantly original. I haven't measured it up yet or established what thread the nuts are , I guess it could be BA sizes. Will I be able to find a coupling and prop to go on this shaft. If not do I pull the inner shaft and replace it keeping the outer shaft or will I have to replace inner and outer. I know this is a difficult question without giving you the thread size?
Regards

chas

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 03:12:19 pm »

It will be either 4 or 2 ba, both were the norm in those days. I'd check carefully for any wear or play in the bearings, some I.c. instaltions could be cruel on the top bearing. It's still possible to get a shaft with b.a thread made, but not a good idea because it limits your propeller choice. If possible remove the lot and put a new one in. My favourite method of removing old tubes is to heat it up with a mini blow torch, very carefully and quite slowly. Testing if I can make the tube rotate using plyers. Once the glue or resin gives way you are nearly there.
  Watch out for fumes, I do it outside.
  I'm sure others will have their own methods for you to consider if you decide to remove it.
Chas
I've just had a thought, if it's in good condition, a 2 b.a. shaft can be re threaded to 4 mm, possibly 5 mm. So that's another option to consider

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 05:56:00 pm »

Hi all, Just a thought Chas but boats of that age had contemporary glues that were not as good as today or have weekened over the years.  I have taken out several prop shafts before and find a pair of mole grips and a quick twist usually breaks the joint.  If there is no play in either bearing then leave it it in.  If 4BA then M4 will screw onto a 4BA thread.  If you need a prop let us all know someone may have one hanging around.
good luck
Roy

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 12:45:44 pm »

I can help there I have a bucket load of props both 4 and 2ba, if you need a coupling I can probaly do that as well  :-)) 
Steamed up all the time

Hurric123

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 05:53:36 pm »

Hi guys, I stripped out the old shaft it is 4ba. There was no play at the inboard end but a bit at the prop end. It is straight and in good condition with good threads. The problem is there is nothing of the outer shaft to grab hold of, or to heat, up without doing serious surgery.
I am tempted to use the existing shaft initially at least, if I can get away with it and find some bits.
So if you can find in your parts box a 2 blade 40mm 4ba prop and a 4ba coupling piece Phil, it will be appreciated and paid for of course.
Regards

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 08:43:22 pm »

It looks like a well loved boat though somewhat left over from an 007 film with that radar loop!
I would just buy a complete new shaft making sure the outside tube diameter is the same. As it was IC the shaft will probably be worn.
Hope to see the sea trials asap.
David
David
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.