Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Young French who wants to learn English from scratch  (Read 1477 times)

robinechuca

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Young French who wants to learn English from scratch
« on: April 10, 2018, 03:31:13 pm »

Hello,

I am a 19 year-old French student that have serious trouble for learning English, and I am passionated with steam machines.
That is why, I ask you wether it is possible that you give me time in order to develop my skills in modelism and in English.
I am looking for people that are ready to spend a bit of time with me, during the period from the 9th July 2018 to the 31th August 2018.

Thanks for your answers.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Young French who wants to learn English from scratch
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 05:24:54 pm »

Hi Robin

I have been teaching English as a foreign language for over 10 years now, and from my experience I can give you the following advice.
Engineering is a complex subject that requires a high level of English. Learning English is a subject that requires a planned approach. Trying to learn the two together will make both harder than they need to be.

There are members on here who live in France. They may be able to tell you about clubs in France that have steam models. I suggest you learn about steam in your mother tongue. You can then read about steam models in English and compare the language with the knowledge you have learned modelling.
You should still learn English following a planned course. Learning a language is best done in a structured way. You need to start with a foundation. You need to do all the boring things like learning vocabulary and simple grammar. Learning a language from a native speaker is hard, because we do strange things with our mother tongue. Unless that person is a language teacher who knows what you have already learned, and works from where you are now.

This is my best advice.

Best regards
Tigertiger
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 05:45:51 pm »

Hi Robin

I have been teaching English as a foreign language for over 10 years now, and from my experience I can give you the following advice.
Engineering is a complex subject that requires a high level of English. Learning English is a subject that requires a planned approach. Trying to learn the two together will make both harder than they need to be.

There are members on here who live in France. They may be able to tell you about clubs in France that have steam models. I suggest you learn about steam in your mother tongue. You can then read about steam models in English and compare the language with the knowledge you have learned modelling.
You should still learn English following a planned course. Learning a language is best done in a structured way. You need to start with a foundation. You need to do all the boring things like learning vocabulary and simple grammar. Learning a language from a native speaker is hard, because we do strange things with our mother tongue. Unless that person is a language teacher who knows what you have already learned, and works from where you are now.

This is my best advice.

Best regards
Tigertiger

I think from a teachers point of view, but not a TEFL teacher, just a lowly geography and woodwork teacher, that is the most informative, concise and brilliant answer I have ever read on this or any  social media site, and one can only applaud you TT and say, Robin, you would not do better than to follow TT's very sound advice.

neil.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 05:56:11 pm »

Thank you for the vote of confidence Neil.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

robinechuca

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 07:37:50 pm »

I understand your point of you, so I have been try to do all things like vocabulary and simple grammar for long time. Indeed, I started to learn the language for 9 years ago, and my vocabulary is limited in comparaison to over people in my school.
Two years ago I went to the UK with an english teacher who has showed me "The Great Dorset Steam Fair".
Secondly, I am not realy a beginner in the modelism whereas I am sure than I can do great progresses. I had for example, build the folowing steam model:

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 10:00:13 pm »

That is a nice vessel. I like the lines. What is the light flexible pipe entering the funnel near the top Robin? Is it a steam outlet from the engine??
Pond weed is your enemy

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 01:05:55 pm »

As boat of initiation why not, but as model it have also French forums there on which there is English who practise the vapor, you could meet these people

robinechuca

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 02:13:03 pm »

The silicon pipe drive the steam on the chimney. I have not a real tank which kept the condensate of the steam, the chimney had this functionality. Forevermore, the deck is totally removable, the flexible pipe permitted to render it possible.
Thank you GAZOU, can you give me more informations about this please? Can you give me the contact of the English people who, in your mind, are likely to agree to meet me?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.