Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stand me up and slap mi legs - I see a fleet !!!  (Read 1161 times)

DTB Kearns

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Stand me up and slap mi legs - I see a fleet !!!
« on: April 14, 2018, 09:34:22 pm »

Well on the mayhem at last !!
1965, plastic model ships, tanks and aircraft then into the 1970's with scratch built fly-by-wire aircraft and clock-work ships; not so surprising then that I joined the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm in 1974 !.
No more model making until 1981-1983 , running a few RC cars with my oldest son. This was followed by a long dry period 1983-2016 with not a model in sight for all the usual reasons, family, work and budget , or lack of it !!
Then in January 2017, just twitching on eBay and a small add "6ft Battleship for Sale - needs some restoration" caught my eye. Well - stand me up and slap mi legs - taken hook-line and sinker, and £70 lighter. I was now the Captain of a 6ft scratch built USN Tennessee, not only the Tennessee though, the seller threw in a 36in Victorian Schooner Hull, for nowt , bargain !!
Now as though I didn't have enough refitting to keep me busy for at least two years the fleet has expanded to 3 RC Yachts , a WWII Minesweeper, A vintage Huntsman 31 kit from the 1970s (unstarted) and I have just finished chiselling out a scratch built 54in hull for the "Ann M"  coastal freighter from the 70's.
Making up for lost time ? senile with age ? lost childhood ? getting my own back on the kids, spending their inheritance ? making a model for the grandkids ? all seven of them !!! Yep - all of that.
I will try and load up some pics , as and when.
I find it hard to get my head around some of the new RC electronics, new brushless systems and all the gadgets that you get nowadays. Thank goodness for these forums.
By the way I am Dave Kearns and yes, the DTB really is for Dave-the-"illigitimate" , some RN nicknames stick !!!! more than some of the glues !!

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Stand me up and slap mi legs - I see a fleet !!!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 10:22:25 pm »

Welcome aboard Dave  O0

Sounds like you have been bitten by the boats bug?  You are not alone here.
I would love to see your USS Tennessee, but know you need several 'posts' on here before adding photos.

It's not just acquiring the ships, but all the tools equipment paints and glues that can seriously dent the plastic.  After that it kinda settles down a bit.  I hope you have enough room for your expanding fleet.

Cheers,   Bob K
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

DTB Kearns

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Stand me up and slap mi legs - I see a fleet !!!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 10:42:34 pm »

Thank you Bob, pleased to be aboard.
The boss, Jayne, knew exactly what would happen  from the start (Tennessee) and gave me an early birthday pressie, an extra 10 x 8 shed.
The empty greenhouse (doors open) comes in handy as a dope-shop and I have managed to put together a half decent tool kit over the years, I have made do without a mini lathe , but that's on my santa list.
I guess the next real big leap would be to join a club, but the damn PTSD is still an issue !!
Regards Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 21 queries.