Mess Deck: General Section > Full Scale Ships

Queen Elizabeth aircraft carrier

(1/7) > >>

Cornishman:
    New series following the new Queen Elizabeth carrier started on BBC2 20:00 hrs last evening.
Gives a very good look around the ship.

Baldrick:
  Episode 1 all went fine until they had a mega pipe leak in the condensate pipework which was routed over the high voltage dis panel  %% and flooded out the electrickery . Lucky they did not frizzle anyone  They have just found a nasty noise in the rear propshaft bearing which means it is back to Pompey for episode 2 .

The thing that amazed me was that the prop blades were not fitted to the hubs until the ship was almost finished and ready to sail. A heavy difficult job for the divers.

gingyer:

--- Quote from: Baldrick on April 16, 2018, 04:38:50 pm ---
 The thing that amazed me was that the prop blades were not fitted to the hubs until the ship was almost finished and ready to sail. A heavy difficult job for the divers.

--- End quote ---

If I remember correctly this was done so they could run the engines and turn the shafts in the dock with out fear of it moving forward....

McGherkin:
She was fitted with very minimal pitch propellors originally to allow for basin trials, then they were changed for the 'final' props once complete. If I remember correctly, there were rails fitted which took the weight of the propellor blade and guided it from the position it was slung into the water, to the hub.

The dive team that did that have done some work with us in the past, that kind of work is our bread and butter.

Colin Bishop:
Very impressive job. Anyone know if they have fixed the leaking seal yet? That was due to be done while the ship is afloat too.

The lean manning concept is interesting to, proportionately she needs far less crew than the US carriers but they will be more versatile and highly trained.

Having been aboard the Invincible class at Navy Days (remember them?), I was struck by just how much bigger QE is. She was an amazing sight coming into Portsmouth for the first time last year. Hopefully I will get the chance to se the PoW when she makes her entry as well.

Colin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version