Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MFA Motors  (Read 2384 times)

richardabeattie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
MFA Motors
« on: April 18, 2018, 09:35:24 pm »

The MFA 360 3 pole motor is listed (by Cornwall Model Boats) as drawing 0.5 amps but the MFA 380 is shown as 6.0 amps.  Baffled.

RST

Re: MFA Motors
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 10:24:03 pm »

Have you checked the MFA website? Sonds like one is quoted running, the other stall current?

Rich

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 10:27:08 pm »

Prepare to be unbaffled....the RE360 is a 5 pole motor, effectively a short RE385. Which is a lightly wound, low power motor. The RE380 is a 3 pole motor, which is NOT lightly wound and is a small, high speed motor, the same as most 400 motors.
The 360 and 385 types are suitable for the slower model, while the 380/400 types are geared up for faster models, mostly intended for electric flight. They are, however, very good if married up to a reduction gearbox. I used two on the now defunct Mini Olympus units, which were 2.3:1 gearboxes, in a 60" Tribal Class Destroyer on a 7.2v 4000mAh D size battery pack. Got just shy of an hours running out of that model. Had a fair old turn of speed too. I miss that old rust bucket!!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 12:37:51 pm »

the difference between 8000 rpm and 22000rpm I guess.

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 04:04:26 pm »

Why did they drop the Olympus geared unit ? Excellent item for when the occasion arose. nemesis

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 06:32:24 pm »

Never being wrong this is going to be a bit of a challenge, so here goes.....The RE360 is actually a 3 pole motor, not a 5 pole as I stated yesterday. I had a look down the can of one and was mighty miffed to be proved wrong about the number of poles...still, none of us is perfect!
So, the reason for the different speeds is down to the windings around the armature. The more windings the slower the motor, and the less windings, the faster the motor will spin. Also the thicker windings will result in a faster motor ( more current can 'fit' down the thicker copper! ).  Buggy motors were listed as 27 Turn, 21 Turn, 15 Turn etc. The higher numbers were Stock Motors while the lower numbers were Modified Motors intended for faster racing.
I believe the Olympus units disappeared when brushless motors first got established amongst the RC fliers. With the torque they could develop without the use of gearboxes, the sales of reduction units slumped. Us boaty boys were just not a big enough market to support tooling or production costs, for runs of gearbox orders. That was it, gearboxes almost all gone just like that :((
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 09:41:21 am »

Hi All

I found a car gearbox on Banggood (8 x 7 cm) with motor mount( maybe 540/ 35mm motor)the main gear is 87 teeth and they have a number of motor gears 12 to 26 teeth.
Cheap at $15au plus motor gears.

Canabus
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.