Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chris Craft 1958 40' Sport Fisherman  (Read 7449 times)

Arjan

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Chris Craft 1958 40' Sport Fisherman
« on: April 21, 2018, 11:50:09 am »

I've recently acquired the old Lindberg 1/16 scale Sport Fisherman kit and I'm looking for pics of the real thing. I think the Lindberg kit depicts the 1958 version with a rare 3-piece windscreen. I've only managed to find these two images :

Bottom left :

There are lots of CC Fisherman pics to be found on the net but apparently no other pics of this particular version. It also seems unlikely that any of the real vessels have survived. Any pics, drawings or other info would be most welcome.

Regards,

Arjan

Arjan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Chris Craft 1958 40' Sport Fisherman
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 08:02:33 pm »

I've just found a very useful image in a 1960 CC brochure :

Arjan

chum444

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 12:58:32 am »

Ryobovich was a very famous builder of sport fishing boats in the US during this period. Rybos were excellent sea keeping boats & therefor excellent fishing platforms. I should know more of the history but there was some level of cooperation or lines stealing between Chris Craft & Rybovich. This 40 ft SF looks to be a part of that cooperation or design theft. I can’t remember another CC that had the shear line of this one. That profile is Rybovich’s.
Inspires me to do the research. %)

Arjan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 09:29:23 am »

Hi, in the mean time I have managed to find some more info and pics which I posted in my build thread here :

http://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=268672&ord=&page=1

Of course any additional info is always appreciated .

Regards,

Arjan

chum444

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 12:43:43 pm »

WOW! I just composed a long bit of information about collaboration between Chris Craft & Rybovich. It was rejected due to the attachment slightly exceeding the file size. Any way to recover the text?

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 01:00:21 pm »

chum.......we have all composed that long text in readiness to post & lost it for a number of reasons........server or large size electrons?..... <*<

The text is lost into the growing box of nothingness in space  >>:-(

The best way to not part take any more is with such postings......create them in Word or Outlook.........then copy & paste into your MBM posting

That way......if the server hickups for what ever reason.......you have your message saved in another system  :-))

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 01:22:41 pm »

An alternative is to simply copy the text of your post in the dialogue box before hitting the POST tab. If it fails then you can just paste it into another attempt immediately. This works OK as long as you remember to do it.
Derek's method is more fool proof  O0
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

chum444

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 04:43:27 pm »

Thank both of you for the suggestions.

Arjan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 06:29:02 pm »

Thanks for your efforts so far, I know it's quite frustrating to have your type work vanish into thin air. Perhaps someone can tell me if the part I indicated by a red arrow could be a navigation light ? These parts are visible in most good pics of the Fisherman but Lindberg didn't bother to reproduce these in their kit.

Regards,

Arjan

chum444

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 09:15:05 pm »

That appears to be correct.

chum444

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 11:03:26 pm »

Cannot seem to have a <500KB image post so will just skip the ad from 1968 issue of Motor Boating magazine.
 That said, not much info on web regarding CC/Rybovich alleged/denied cooperation. Rybovich family members absolutely deny collaboration.There is a rather well known story of two Cuban fisherman arranging to haul a Rybovich out of the water after it was finished for the day in the 1958 Cuban Hemingway Fishing Tournament. That night the hulls lines were carefully measured and all details recorded. The boat was back in the water and fished the next day. This incident gave rise to the Cubavich series of boats which infuriated the Rybovich firm. However, they made a fine amount of money selling the Cubans fittings, fishing gear,& maintenance contracts for the Cubavich line.
 Looking at the ads, the shear line is Rybovich in form. The house windows are definitely not Rybovich in form factor. Probably gave CC deniability they took the Rybovich design.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2019, 11:15:14 pm »

email it Bill and I'll post it full size  :-))
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2019, 11:39:23 pm »

With the way the device cover on the Port side is partially detached and hanging down, they could be IP68 rated connection points for shore power when moored

following courtesy of WIKI

What does IP68 rating mean? ... Devices backed by an international standard rating of IP68 are deemed fit enough to withstand dust, dirt and sand, and are resistant to submersion up to a maximum depth of 1.5m underwater for up to thirty minutes.

So for modeling purposes, you could search GOOGLE for such a receptacle or any square, round, oval or rectangular piece of plastic laminated in place would be fine

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

chum444

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2019, 01:16:26 am »

You can take it to the bank. That is not a shore power connection. :-)  Shore power receptacle is in the aft cockpit. Owned, ran many full sized sport fisherman.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2019, 01:43:08 am »

Acknowledged that I have never seen a Chriscraft brand/built motor cruiser of any vintage, nor any [assumed]  thru hull connection point in such a vulnerable location as shown  >:-o 
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

chum444

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2019, 02:37:48 am »

Apologies. My response souned too strong...really not my intention. I am fortunate to have had a lot of on water experience fishing. Apologies again.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2019, 04:43:13 am »

No apology needed {-) ...when I read ...."you can take it to the bank"....I visualized the vessel berthing on the sand...& there is no power available on a beach >>:-(

The only vessel of this type where I have spent considerable time was a 49 ft timber planked cruiser built by Springbok Boat Builders Brisbane Australia in 1949 for a well known Australian Jeweler [J Farren Price] https://www.jfarrenprice.com.au/ .....[1949 was also the year of my birth]

It was later purchased by a BHP Chief Engineer colleague......& my family spent numerous Christmas holidays onboard on Lake Macquarie NSW

She was originally fitted with twin Chrysler V8 marinised petrol engines, however by the time i got onboard they had been replaced with twin Pommie Ford diesels

She slept 12 at a pinch...and was an absolute beauty to drive @ 10 knots ....stained & varnished woodwork every where.......yes 1950's style & relatively narrow beam compared to today's  designs

Sorry to get off thread............[& yes auxiliary 12 & 240 volt shore side power was connected on the lower stern quarter deck]

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Arjan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2019, 09:57:05 am »

Thanks gentlemen, I have been trying to post a reply with pics but I keep getting an error 500 message.

Regards,

Arjan

chum444

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2019, 01:22:43 am »

Tx Andy for the offer. It’s not that important to bother you with. I only have access to my iPad...not a windows computer. Hence the problem.

chum444

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2019, 02:55:38 am »

Hmmm! Seems like a good spot to ask how construction is going? Fine looking model...please post some photos of progress.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.