Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GDPR  (Read 2422 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
GDPR
« on: April 24, 2018, 10:14:49 am »

I keep getting a message from Facebook, but no link to their terms and conditions....

is anyone else getting this message................

Hi ***********We've updated our Terms to better explain our service and what we ask of everyone using Facebook.We've made it easier for you to control your data, privacy and security settings in one place, which you can do at any time in Settings. We've also updated our Data Policy and Cookie Policy to reflect the new features we've been working on, and to explain more about how we create a personalised experience for you. Updates include:
  • new features such as Marketplace, camera effects and accessibility tools
  • more details about how our systems process things that you share, such as text, photos and videos
  • how we share information, systems and technology across the Facebook Company Products, including WhatsApp, Instagram and Oculus
  • adding Instagram, a service provided by Facebook Ireland, to the Data Policy
Please go to Facebook to review and accept the Terms.

OR IS IT ANOTHER SCAM JUST TO GAIN INFO FROM US.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: message from facebook
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 11:20:31 am »

I got that email.... everyone will.

GDPR.....

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 11:22:31 am »

Everybody on a social media page, be that twitter, instagram, facebook or whatever is receiving it mate. The EU introduced new laws to govern what they can and can't do with your data and the companies have to change certain practices to fall into line.

Interestingly most of what I was given related to advertising. The interesting part is they have to make the ads more clearer to the user and make them aware of why they are getting those ads. You get two options, accept the terms, or don;t accept the terms - of course if you don't accept your account is then withdrawn.

So no option really, even though the EU meant well in protecting the user, the social media pages have found a way around the rule already!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 11:25:30 am »

Should have added, the advertising is tailored to you personally because they are using your harvested private data to do so, this data is given freely to their advertisers so that they can push ads directly related to any posts you make. If I make a post about models, next day I get ads offering model parts from bangood, etc. If I was to start posting about womens clothing fitting my size, I get ads showing outsize womens clothing - you get the idea?

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 11:47:13 am »

Everybody on a social media page, be that twitter, instagram, facebook or whatever is receiving it mate

Hi Brian - As Martin states GDPR is probably the driver for this communication as the GDPR Enforcement date is the 25 May 2018.

GDPR is far reaching as it affects not just social media organisations but all businesses & organisations that record and store any personal data and that includes model boat clubs.

It's a significant issue that cannot be ignored - https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/

Martin - does GDPR affect/apply to the users data on this forum?

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 01:38:44 pm »

I have had a spate of e-mails from companies who mail me with offers etc saying I have to sign their new term and agreements if I want to stay on their list. Suits me fine as I don't want them but couldn't be bothered to tell them so.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 01:40:13 pm »

Yes Threepio it is GDPR but the source of this regulation is the EU - trying to get a grip on the way multi nationals harvest and use personal information. Information that users wouldn't dream of giving to a casual aquaintance, but happily allow these companies to gain it.

For instance, when signing up, how many state they access your camera? photo's? address book etc? The answer is all of them! What that new law should be saying is that they can ask for it, but if it is denied by the end user, than the end user should still be able to access the facility. Not the companies saying, you agree to this or you can't use facebook etc.

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 01:49:15 pm »

Yes Threepio it is GDPR but the source of this regulation is the EU - trying to get a grip on the way multi nationals harvest and use personal information. Information that users wouldn't dream of giving to a casual aquaintance, but happily allow these companies to gain it.

For instance, when signing up, how many state they access your camera? photo's? address book etc? The answer is all of them! What that new law should be saying is that they can ask for it, but if it is denied by the end user, than the end user should still be able to access the facility. Not the companies saying, you agree to this or you can't use facebook etc.

Yes and the fallout affects are far and wide and the little boys, small companies , sole traders, clubs, societys etc get caught up having to abide by the same regulations.

Mayhem is a service operating in the EU -  does it need a privacy policy?

Your IP address is personal data and it's logged everytime you post of the forum.... (sorry Martin)

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: GDPR
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 02:33:54 pm »

Martin - does GDPR affect/apply to the users data on this forum?

C-3PO

Mayhem doesn't hold or verify any private or sensitive data of it's members.

Anyone can be a member with a false name just needs a valid email address, classified as so non identifying data.
    Passwords are encrypted and not visible to anyone, not even Admin.
    PM are also only visible to participants.
    Gender & DOB are non requirements and can be deleted at member at any time.
    Anything disclosed on the open / public forum is just that, public information.

Discussions here:

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=559841.0
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=559485.0
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=557199.0

<Edit>

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 02:43:00 pm »

Hi Martin,

I think the problem is that some things are open to interpretation and I have seen many differing views on some of the intepretion of the basics of GDPR

Personally I hate it having crashed my company webiste trying to add my privacy policy - and the backup - well that's another story...more grey hairs

What constitutes personal data?
Any information related to a natural person or ‘Data Subject’, that can be used to directly or indirectly identify the person. It can be anything from a name, a photo, an email address, bank details, posts on social networking websites, medical information, or a computer IP address.

C-3PO

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 03:50:38 pm »

I got that email.... everyone will.

GDPR.....

cheers martin........fears allayed.

ta.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 04:57:55 pm »

Its all very stupid.
Not thought out properly by someone with nothing better to do. And the worst offenders will probably be the Government..

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 05:42:13 pm »

Also I assume it also affects people with people contacts in their phones, Phone books at home etc etc...So Like to see them police that.

All this is similar to the Recording law they once thought about applying where you would have to delete any tv recordings 30 days after you had recorded it.  Then they thought, Oh How do we check the whole nations vhs, Beta max and Video 2000 recordings... Idiots..
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 21 queries.