Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PETG  (Read 1965 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
PETG
« on: April 14, 2018, 11:32:37 am »

I've just ordered some clear plastic sheet 1mm thickness. It says it is petg which I haven't had the pleasure of using before.

So I did a google search for the stuff and had varying results - most seem to advocate using a superglue. Not a good idea, my past experience with clear plastics and superglue mean it doesn't stay clear but turns cloudy from the fumes.

So does anyone have experience of using the stuff and getting it to glue or bond easily? It will be bonded/glued to polyester grp substrate.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Re: PETG
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 12:06:13 pm »

Hi Brian - I don't know if it will work for you but I use canopy glue for clear plastics.  The only time I've used clear plastic was for the windows on the bridge and it bonded really well.  I reminds me of a thick PVA type of glue and has no affect on the clear plastic.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 02:40:16 pm »

Cheers Mark, I'll see if I can source some from the model shop - just a 70 mile round trip to get to my nearest :embarrassed: But as its also our nearest major supermarket centre (think  Asda, Tesco etc) its on the list for a visit anyway.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 09:52:31 pm »

You can get non-fogging superglue. Also epoxy and modified acrylics should bond it just fine, although can be a little too thick for some work.

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 03:46:59 pm »

Hi Brian,

I use PETG filament in my 3d Printer as it's an excellent impact absorbing option. Glueing it though, is the pain.
Done lots of experiments and, on the filament I use, many others concur that Gorilla Super Glue is the best for getting a strong bond, others don't get anywhere near as strong a bond and I've seen lots of stuff fail due to weak PETG adhesion.

Sadly I can't comment too much on the fogging as 3D printed objects don't have the clarity of a sheet of transparent PETG but I haven't noticed any fogging.

If it's a non structural part or something you can get away with perhaps framing in someway (like a window frame from behind?) then I'd go with an epoxy solution and leave the frame to hold it in place.
If you do need to bond it to other bits of PETG then Gorilla Super Glue is by far the best available.

Hope that's of some use.

Alex

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 11:55:07 am »

Thanks for the info guys. My wife is in the UK at the moment. I'll get her to pick up some Gorilla superglue and give that a try also.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.