Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Electronics and electrics help  (Read 2895 times)

essexbill

• Full Mayhemer
Electronics and electrics help
« on: April 26, 2018, 03:43:49 pm »

Hi.
Some questions for all the experienced and knowledgeable people.

I am just about to purchase a MMM Nantu Tug (30 inch long)  that has 2 t12 motors fitted and 2 steerable kort props.

I do need some advice about suitable drive battery ESC ect.

I have a 6 channel radio already that is designed for aircraft will this be suitable ?

All comments will be really appreciated.

Thanks everyone

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: Electronics and electrics help
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 03:57:15 pm »

The radio will be ok as long as it isn't 35MHz.
27 or 40 MHz or 2.4GHz are all legal for boating.
35 MHz can only be used for Aircraft.
Others much more qualified than me will
be jumping in with various methods of control.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 04:12:29 pm »

12 volt sealed lead acid battery (you will need the weight for ballast) then any decent 2.4 Transmitter and receiver. I use a Spektrum DX6 which has the adjustability for very fine control which you will need if you intend to go towing, there are lots available out there some cheap but as your tug is twin screw with,I presume, tank steering be aware that you will need a TX with a sprung stick both left and right i.e. no ratchet on the left stick.
   I don't know much about the flying side of things other than you can't use that type of TX as its a different frequency. Hope this helps.
      Cheers, Pete.
P.S. Balne moor sunday hope we get good weather.

Butts

• Full Mayhemer
  • Secretary, Balne Moor Model Boat Club
    • http://balne-moor-model-boat-club.myfreesites.net/
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 05:11:10 pm »

As Ned and Pete have already said 35 Mhz is a no no. Be clear though that most r/c gear is biased to
Aero use so do check out its operating frequency before you look to replace -you're OK if it is one of the ones Ned has listed.

As Pete says lead acid will give you the bonus of ballast. In a boat a little longer I've got a 12v 9ah.  I'm not familiar with the internal volume of the Nantu you might get in something slightly larger.

I will give my usual plug for Action Electronics from Component Shop.  A P94 (currently out of stock I note) will give you tank steering, but also the option of a mixer if you find tank steering too difficult. They also have the other fuses and power boards to complete the deal.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 05:36:05 pm »

Mobile Marine have an open day on Saturday.
You will find all the answers there from
Brian re the tug and Iain re the batteries/esc.
Brian is Mobile Marine and Iain is Component Shop
Not too far from you.
Ingham Linc's.
Ned

Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 09:28:56 pm »

For similar projects, a 12 volt, 7AH battery seems favoured.  But really, as much capacity as possible given what the hull can carry.  Simplest is to ask MMM - they sell batteries as well and are in the best position to know what will best fit one of their boats. 
Reports on the T12 motor (http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3460.0) suggest that is is quite low current, so the usual answer would be a Viper 15.  Motor current is largely dependent on load, so hard and fast answers probably don't exist.
Lots of tug drivers like Electronize, Action and Microgyros do suitable ones as well.
Many of the ebay ESCs are not intended for 12 volts, and their current handling claims would attract the attention of trading standards if they were sold here.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 07:31:01 am »

If you are going to be towing don't use an ESC with less than 25/30 capability you will not go wrong with Action stuff. I had a problem with the ESC for the bow thruster on my Pegasus which caused a lot of grief and expense due to the motor needing to be capable of max speed in both directions, most ESC's will only do 80/20% forward and reverse (especially anything from Ebay) in the end I went for an Action P98 which is brilliant  and can take 30amps all day. If you are going to be towing you will put huge loads on the ESC's and any weakness will show right away usually with a nice black smoke.
   I will be at Balne moor on sunday so if you are there come and have a chat and I'll show you the electrics in my tug. Hope this helps.
       Regards, Pete. :-))

essexbill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 07:20:09 am »

Thanks everyone for your advice.

The radio is a 2.4ghz. So I think I am sorted with that, just need t fit another spring to the left stick for throttle control.

Andy of MMM yesterday helped with the battery.

Several people have also recommended Action for ESC's.

cannot make Balne Moor today but if I can get some progress n the next couple of weeks hope to bring it along on the 13th and enjoy a sail.

steamboat66

• Full Mayhemer
  • maybe it will float!
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 09:13:14 am »

spektrum radios can be adjusted to be smooth or ratchet, or self centered throttle stick. i have a DX7 which can be set with a combination of both on both movements of both sticks!

essexbill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 08:45:25 pm »

As Ned and Pete have already said 35 Mhz is a no no. Be clear though that most r/c gear is biased to
Aero use so do check out its operating frequency before you look to replace -you're OK if it is one of the ones Ned has listed.

As Pete says lead acid will give you the bonus of ballast. In a boat a little longer I've got a 12v 9ah.  I'm not familiar with the internal volume of the Nantu you might get in something slightly larger.

I will give my usual plug for Action Electronics from Component Shop.  A P94 (currently out of stock I note) will give you tank steering, but also the option of a mixer if you find tank steering too difficult. They also have the other fuses and power boards to complete the deal.
Hi,
As the P94 is out of stock can you recommend an alternative please.
Talking with people on Saturday and reading replies on here tank Steering looks to be the way forward. At least to begin with.
I am the person who always asks the question that everyone wants to be chooses not to.
As I have 2 motors and using Tank Steering I assume I need 2 ESC's. Only 1 drive battery will be fitted will 15amp ESCs  be sufficient or will I need 20amp?
many thanks

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 08:55:14 pm »

Each ESC is feeding the load demanded by one motor, so if a 15A one is good for one motor, two of them will be good for two motors.
Just a question of having a battery and wiring feeding the ESCs that can handle the combined load, with special attention being paid to the black wires.  If a heavier demand is expected for coping with serious towing, then heavier ESCs will be needed.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.