Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RNLI Sacking  (Read 3861 times)

big_bri

• Full Mayhemer
RNLI Sacking
« on: May 03, 2018, 02:36:20 pm »

So... two RNLI staff have been sacked for having picture of naked girls on their tea mugs, what the hell is this country coming to?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Brian

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: RNLI Sacking
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 05:59:49 pm »

So... two RNLI staff have been sacked for having picture of naked girls on their tea mugs, what the hell is this country coming to?

the people doing the sacking are the ones who need sacking..........just morons.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 06:05:19 pm »

I am so happy, I got out years ago. The writing has been on the wall for an age and the situation seems will continueo get worse..

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 07:52:48 pm »

The East coast are in the firing line.
Scarborough losing their Coxn,
Last Year Cleethorpes Station closed
for a while and now Whitby.

Disgusting treatment of volunteers who willingly
put their lives on the line to help their fellow men.

Ned

Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 08:23:55 pm »

Hopefully 'this country' is reaching a point where blatant misogyny is not acceptable in the workplace.

Andy, just sayin'...
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 09:48:58 pm »

Disgraceful sacking

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 10:36:48 pm »

Hi I read the news item and they were offered the opportunity of destroying the offending mugs, but refused.
Roy

tassie48

• bikes birds and burnups
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 02:06:54 am »

What the hell is wrong with the managers of RNLI sacking staff for a mug with tarts on it years ago it was calendars who is going to go into the lunch room to see them on their mugs of tea staff only area it is not like they are serving cups of tea to the general masses,  these guys go out in weather when others do not risk the lives and some t..d sacks them would like to go out and rescue him from a near death drowning and give him a hot cup of tea afterwards see what is response is after that .
I have nothing but RESPECT for these people and the job that they volunteer not paid to do  I would refuse to destroy my tea mug did the RNLI purchase it do not think so it is your own property looks like the RNLI service lost two staff tassie48

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 08:35:27 am »

This is the mentality when you have PAID politically correct managerial staff supervising VOLUNTEER staff. The mentality is 'they are volunteers we can pick them up by the dozen' The only way this will be corrected is by a top down reorganisation and rooting out of so called 'do gooders' and proper managerial staff put in place. Sadly this will never happen.

BUT as a service supported solely by voluntary contributions don't the money collectors/givers have any say in these matters?

flack

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 09:13:10 am »

There is something seriously wrong with the "Charity" industry in this Country and the RNLI is vying for the lead position in the idiot stakes. There have been several incidences of sackings of "volunteer" personnel who freely give their time and sometimes their lives over what can only be described as high handed tactics by very highly paid people in senior positions who maybe very well educated in the qualification arena but have no idea of common sense and zero life skills.

On another note I see the RNLI are advertising for a "Safeguarding Officer" on a salary in excess of £42000 per annum - well not on any donation from me!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 10:19:08 am »

I don’t think it is a good idea to rush to judgement on this without knowing all the facts. I have seen a picture of one of the mugs and it did indeed seem pretty tame to me but it appears that the decision to stand the crew members down may have stemmed more from subsequent exchanges on social media and we don’t know what was said to who about what in that respect.

Even ‘heroes’ can have feet of clay. A relative once met Sir Patrick Moore, widely revered as a ‘National Treasure’ and was shocked at some of his views and attitudes which were apparently quite extreme. What some people regard as ‘banter’ others can find offensive. No absolute right or wrong there, it often depends on the circumstances.

Brian is right that there can be friction between volunteers and their paid managers but you have to remember that the RNLI as a public organisation has legal obligations and duties which the volunteers do not and may not appreciate or even be aware of. I get the sense that in this, as in other recent disputes, the positions on each side have become polarised with neither fully emphasising with the other’s point of view and this has led to escalation of what might otherwise have been treated as a trivial matter and dealt with locally. When people stand on their dignity, on either side, it frequently doesn’t end well.

As for the RNLI safeguarding officer, I would imagine that this results from meeting legal obligations for an organisation of this type and if the post is based in Poole then £42k doesn’t sound an unreasonable sum. Cost of living can be a bit expensive down that way.

Colin

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 01:15:32 pm »

What if it was a female volunteer with a picture of a Chippendale man on her mug
I wonder if it would have the same outcome!

John

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 01:57:26 pm »

What if it was a female volunteer with a picture of a Chippendale man on her mug
I wonder if it would have the same outcome!

I don't think that is a very helpful comment John...

Colin

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 02:21:04 pm »

At the donors, in England and in France we find all the genres of people, of atheists and of believers, and you should shock nobody.
Especially not the hypocrites

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2018, 02:39:01 pm »

What a load of tosh! Someone needs their head banging......... <*<

These guys and girls put the their lives on the line everytime they go out......no pay, no glory, no medals......they do it because it's the right thing to do. Nothing about misogyny......woman hater.......a cup with a pic of a scantily clad woman on does not in my view show you are a woman hater.....just the opposite in fact. It's about time the PC brigade are got rid of. Common bloomin' sense please.

"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2018, 03:05:05 pm »

a cup with a pic of a scantily clad woman on does not in my view show you are a woman hater.

If you had bothered to read the reports and earlier posts you would have seen that it is apparently about rather more than that. People are too quick to jump to conclusions.

The RNLI would not have wanted to provoke a dispute like this, it just brings them very bad publicity so they must have had reasons for doing so but we don't know what they are except that it appears that some comments were subsequently made on social media by the crew members which are reported to have prompted the stand down. Without knowing what these comments were I don't think we can usefully contribute to the matter.

Just because people are unquestionably brave doesn't necessarily make them angels. I have every admiration for the RNLI volunteers and have been an Offshore member for over 20 years but I still prefer to know what the facts are before jumping in with comments.

I suspect that both sides are probably to some extent responsible for this cock up but I'd rather know a bit more about it first before coming down on one side or the other.

Colin

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2018, 03:12:09 pm »

By all accounts the "manager" was a woman; or should that be a womanger?

Colin, how on earth is Johns' comment unhelpful? I think, as I expect many others do, that the comment is extremely pertinent.

LB

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2018, 03:31:13 pm »

It's speculation based on personal prejudice LB, just as are a good proportion of the comments posted on this topic by people who have already made up their mind on the subject regardless of the full facts not having been made public. Yes, the RNLI management may have overreacted but we don't know that do we? Maybe the comments on social media were trolling the woman who took the initial action using unacceptable language but we don't know that either.

It's these knee jerk reactions which bug me I'm afraid. All lifeboatmen and women are automatically angels and are above criticism. I prefer to take a more balanced and fair minded view I'm afraid but obviously I am out of tune with the mood on here with the hang 'em and flog 'em brigade.

Ah well.....

Colin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2018, 03:46:38 pm »

Quote from Colin.

Just because people are unquestionably brave doesn't necessarily make them angels. I have every admiration for the RNLI volunteers and have been an Offshore member for over 20 years but I still prefer to know what the facts are before jumping in with comments.

I suspect that both sides are probably to some extent responsible for this cock up but I'd rather know a bit more about it first before coming down on one side or the other.

Hi all, I was going to write something like this and also mention a situation known to me about fireman, a total *******.  Then I thought it will just stir things up. 
But I agree with Colin.

Regards Roy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2018, 03:55:58 pm »

Thanks Roy, you are right. I have been a middle manager and suffered unfairly from the powers that be many times over the course of my career but the supposedly downtrodden junior member of staff can also be a right pain in the fundament upon occasion.

Intransigence knows no boundaries!  ok2

Colin

flack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2018, 04:32:17 pm »

I think there is a little of missing the point in this matter. This is not the first episode of what "on the face of it" are some very questionable decisions taken by the upper management of the RNLI in matters to do with volunteer personnel and operations. I dare bet that the majority of the upper management involved know that a lifeboat is a nice shade of orange but apart from that know absoloutely nothing about how it is used and the hazards associated with that use. The modern thinking is that you don't need to know anything about an industry to "manage" it and having spent my whole working life as a Middle and Senior ranked member of an emergency service I despair when I see Chief Constables and Chief Fire officers who have never walked the beat or ridden on a fire engine making decisions on operational matters often to the detriment - think back to the Manchester Arena bombing and the Fire Service managements response.

As far as £42000 being a reasonable salary for a "Safeguarding" post I suggest you google it and see what is being paid nationally for such a position. Why does the candidate have to work and reside in Poole? Lifeboat stations are a national resource. The whole matter of inflated salaries in Charitable organisations stinks where "Joe and Jane Bloggs" donates some of his or her hard earned cash to provide in this case a life saving resource at or on the water and not to pay a myriad of Senior and Middle Managers inflated salaries on the premise that the best people have to be attracted into those roles.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2018, 05:09:41 pm »

I dare bet that the majority of the upper management involved know that a lifeboat is a nice shade of orange but apart from that know absoloutely nothing about how it is used and the hazards associated with that use.

I think that is rather hyperbole really. I agree that people at the top of organisations frequently do have a poor grasp of what is going on at the grassroots, I have suffered from it enough times myself. I also agree that there have been some unfortunate instances of friction between RNLI management and lifeboat crew in the recent past. However I would hesitate to automatically apply the general to the particular in specific instances.

I do read all the posts about the RNLI on this and on other threads and from various other sources and it does seem to me that at the root of some of this is the changing nature of the organisation. Up until not mamy years ago lifeboat crew were often local professional seafarers, often fishermen,with an immense amount of practical  experience, particularly of local conditions. This source of crew appears to be reducing and many crew now come from non seafaring backgrounds but undergo stringent training to compensate for lack of practical experience. Coupled together with modern boats and equipment this seems to have generally paid off as rescues still seem to be pretty effective although perhaps there is more reliance on 'doing things by the book' relying on training. This approach probably doesn't sit too well with traditional seafarers who prefer to work more flexibly on the basis of experience and instinct and maybe find themselves stifled by all the new rules and regulations. Inevitably in such situations there can easily be friction which requires goodwill on both sides to resolve both at local level and between local and HQ levels. People are people and from differing backgrounds and this doesn't always happen which may be the case here. Not everyone has the ability to see things from the other person's point of view and make due allowances.

However, changes do happen and are happening and the RNLI and its volunteers will need to keep working through them to keep the Institution on top of its job.

I had a look at the Safeguarding job profile (starts at £35.6k actually). Personally I think that the whole issue has been blown out of proportion in its blanket coverage but the RNLI have to comply with legislation in place, like it or not. Whether the job is worth that money is a moot point but the salary seems to be comparable with similar jobs in organisations of comparable sizes.

Colin

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2018, 05:24:54 pm »

How this could not have been sorted out amicably and nipped in the bud without it escalating to sackings and walkouts defies the imagination . Makes you wonder about management mentality. Should not happen within the confines of a once highly respected national institution.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2018, 05:39:04 pm »

How this could not have been sorted out amicably and nipped in the bud without it escalating to sackings and walkouts defies the imagination .

Yes you would certainly think so but unfortunately so often it is not the case when, as I said earlier, both sides take umbrage and don't want to lose face. After that it doesn't take much for the issue to escalate and become confused as others are drawn in and the original people dig in as they feel they have right on their side.

It's all very silly but that is how wars start!

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2018, 05:46:14 pm »

OK, lots of speculation here ... topic locked.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 21 queries.