Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vintage model boat company’s Sea Urchin  (Read 3914 times)

Tugtower

• Full Mayhemer
  • Owner of The RCMB Forum
    • RCMB Forum
Vintage model boat company’s Sea Urchin
« on: May 03, 2018, 10:05:15 pm »

Normally I don’t post my build blogs on mayhem as I usually reserve them for my own forum,

However I know my forums not the epi center of attention when it comes to model boating but I felt compelled to show off my current build which is in the latter stages of construction.

This isn’t a full blog it’s just a photo for you to enjoy, and I hope encourage others to have a go at this quaint little model!

If anyone wishes to view the full log you can find it linked at the bottom with Martins approval...

http://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/t1340-aerokits-sea-urchin

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Vintage model boat company’s Sea Urchin
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 12:57:57 pm »

This is my version from them, great little kits to mess around with  :-)) :-))
Steamed up all the time

Tugtower

• Full Mayhemer
    • RCMB Forum
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 01:46:02 pm »

:-))  Great variation!  :-))

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 11:49:22 pm »

It is great to see these models still being made and enjoyed; bags of character. Modern electrics and radio now make them much more viable as a model. I made my first real model boat (Sea Nymph) when I was about 10 years old in 1963. Converted and recently going brushless (elsewhere on Forum) it still gives me great fun on the water.
David
David

Tugtower

• Full Mayhemer
    • RCMB Forum
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 12:35:12 am »

That’s a credit to the kit and your build that it’s lasted that long!

I have to admit I found this challenging electronic wise, but not motor and shaft, this little boat could easily fit a standard 550 motor if you wanted it, but I agree brushless was the way to go and mine is fitted with a 1200kv outrunner, my challenge was getting the rudder working in the tight space this kit provides, I got creative and achieved a great result but without resorting to more real mechanical options on full size boats this was a suitable compromise, the other issue I have with this model is battery, there is absolute no room for a standard buggy pack... so getting creative when this first came out all those years back would have resulted in fitting an engine rather than a full electric build but with today’s advances smaller lipos will fit easily in the limited space.

These things are sent to try us eh?

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 09:46:29 am »

Certainly a challenge regarding internal space for equipment. I guess you may have gone for a standard brass rudder. The external rudder would be a challenge; perhaps controlled with a simple cable arrangement.
I noticed in the old adverts that the Sea Nymph is claimed to have ample room for radio control. Must have been a squeeze back in those days! Mine has a removable and raised cockpit deck to get it all in.
Perhaps some more internal pictures of your model would show how you achieved it.
David
David

Tugtower

• Full Mayhemer
    • RCMB Forum
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 10:46:50 am »

Photos of how I achieved the working rudder are on my blog linked on my signature below

Regards

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 04:41:34 pm »

Many thanks for the link. A lot of precision workmanship in the build. For my Sea Nymph and Sea Nymph Plus builds in the 1990s I carefully filled all voids with expanding foam in case the worse should happen. It also reinforces the ply skins.
In 1963 I used Cascamite and about 200 1/4" brass nails to build my boat. I guess many will recall mixing the powder and water. When dismantling the old boat the glue just shattered like toffee. The rebuild and new SN were all two part epoxy construction. Glue, clamp, have a cup of tea and get back to work on the model. No nails required.
I think I could be tempted back to the bench with the Wavemaster 24 kit. Not too big, plenty of internal space  and classic lines.
David
David

Tugtower

• Full Mayhemer
    • RCMB Forum
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 05:32:46 pm »

Thanks for the positive comment  :-))

A lot of work needed in places, but trial and error and some luck came in handy!

The bow is air tight so if it sinks at least it’s floating nose up! :embarrassed:

The finish is a 2 pac epoxy varnish, I usually reserve mirror finished decks ( pictured below) but works equally well on some paint surfaces with some care.

The surface will be not only glass but also rock hard making scratches and knocks just a matter of buffing by out and not require a respray!

Tugtower

• Full Mayhemer
    • RCMB Forum
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 05:42:38 pm »

Rudder is almost finished, I had to rework the paint somewhat as it didn’t line up at first but ive got it nailed down today.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.