Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blow torch  (Read 1123 times)

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Blow torch
« on: January 31, 2021, 02:51:28 pm »

hi, guys
ive been researching into blow torches and wondering what you guys find better, the good old flame thrower type or some thing like the dremel blow torch FO132200JJ

Trucker

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Blow torch
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 05:19:41 pm »

I have the Dremel 2200 ,which I think is the same thing. It's OK, but getting the piezo ignition to work is a bit of a b****r sometimes.   You have to push a little knob down and to the left with your right thumb then hold it there, with you left thumb then press the piezo button and if it lights (still with your thumb on the first button ) get your  hand over to move the sustain slider to on . I usually keep a box of matches handy in case it just aint going to play ball.. Feels well engineered though and once alight the flame is good and controllable for volume and air supply, It is especially good for small items, not  so for plumbing capillary fittings
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 06:48:29 pm »

There are lots of the Dremel type about but do you need all the extra bits you get with it because it is expensive.As mentioned by Baldrick, the piezo on them is the bit that gets iffy so matches or fag lighter are essential. The Kitchencraft one I have now came from the local cooks shop for about £15 6/7 years ago and has done and continues to do sterling service. It does not substitute for the DIY blowlamp but for modelling it can be worth it.

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 07:43:42 pm »

I purchased 1 off the solder/ brazing torches from Aldi and screwed a map gas bottle to it.
It works brilliantly. I can’t remember the brand, For small jobs I use the Clark’s torch from
Machine mart still reliable after 18 years. When the pico fails I just clean the tip with a small
brass mop that gets it working again.

John

RST

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 03:28:22 am »

Is that dremel one much different from a  cheap creme brule thing?  I have a trustly Iroda Soldepro gas iron and using flame torch attachment and a good charge it will quite easily melt any brass parts I've put before it.  But perhaps that is the problem, the heat is so intense but way too much concentrated on such a small point to be of real use?

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 07:02:28 am »

Have had 2 identical JayCar marketed $39.99 versions & after a few years the gas flame performs yellow spurting acts :P   typical of no oxygen, and the loss of the blue flame

Of course the supplier diagnoses that I have used cheap gas & the jet is clogged internally .......but alas the 12 month warranty has expired

So looking at the Benzomatic [lool a like unit for $59.99] ...[it appears to be a badge-engineered version of the same thing]......the only difference is when purchased from the Sydney Tools Group,  it comes with a 36 month back to base replacement warranty.....

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.