Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Life Buoy markings  (Read 1305 times)

tassie48

• bikes birds and burnups
  • Full Mayhemer
Life Buoy markings
« on: February 04, 2021, 09:19:03 pm »

Looking to put the ships name and hailing port on the 1.24 scale life buoys on my new build ....top  Melinda lll   bottom Glasgow any one used a decal or got some printed to do this just eight on board so not a big order detail you will see same with her two lifeboats  tassie48

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Life Buoy markings
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 02:13:13 am »

What date was the real ship? If before 1972 buoys were red and white, if later, international orange.

Jerry C.

RST

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 02:33:11 am »

Tassie, you've previously admitted a big scratch build.  Modelling doesn't always work out asking for every single item in it at at 1:24th.  Part of modelling is to make things yourself.  They way this is going you have several hundred if not a thousand parts to source.  Not to knock back questions but do you have hundreds more to come?  You have to do some research and apply modelling skill, unless of course is OK for every single part to come from a forum recommendation?

CJ1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 11:31:30 am »

Looking to put the ships name and hailing port on the 1.24 scale life buoys on my new build ....top  Melinda lll   bottom Glasgow any one used a decal or got some printed to do this just eight on board so not a big order detail you will see same with her two lifeboats  tassie48
Hi Tassie, I produced waterslide decals for my 1/12th Speedline Tamar, for those not included with the kit. I used my computer to either get photos of the real thing, logos, instruction panels, what have you, or typed lettering out in the correct font onto a page at the correct size. This takes a bit of trial and error but works. Then I used some decal paper from the internet. (I used MrDecalPaper.com products) Since you can really only use the paper through the printer once, I filled my page with everything I wanted to print, and printed it on my normal inkjet printer. After it had dried overnight, I sprayed it with varnish and let it dry again. Then they act as normal waterslide decals. There are two types of paper, white and transparent. Transparent is good if its black lettering on something and avoids close trimming. If you're doing black letters on a lifebelt, this is best for you. If you're using coloured designs or lettering, its best to use white paper but then you have to use a very sharp scalpel to cut close to the lettering or picture... but it still gives a good result. Chris.

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 06:50:59 pm »

The lettering on these life rings is from Callie Graphics, https://callie-graphics.com in the US.  She can make most any scale you want, any color, from vinyl.  Letters come on a backing sheet so you don't have to mount each letter individually. Very inexpensive.
My daughter painted the life rings.  The boat they are on is 1:24 scale.

tassie48

• bikes birds and burnups
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 07:03:11 pm »

Wow CJ1 ,CGAux26, Jerry C, RST, and all others thanks guys that is why our forum is so GREAT you ask a question and you get advice,  ideas and help thank you so much crew never too humble to learn or ask for advice really do appreciate the assistance given on all matters the devil is in the detail and I enjoy the detail once again thank you to all concerned for your help and ideas tassie48
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.