Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Boats magazine, other model magazines.... and shows!  (Read 33772 times)

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Model Boats magazine, other model magazines.... and shows!
« Reply #100 on: December 04, 2020, 09:56:14 am »

I agree that the warship article was too long & stopped there being anything more interesting. The November issue is a good example of one that didn't interest me.

As TheLongBuild mentioned contributors I very much regret the apparent withdrawal of Glynn Guest from the magazine. I always enjoyed his articles and plans even if I had no obvious interest in ever building them.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: December 04, 2020, 10:02:26 am »

The new Editor, Lindsey Amrani, has been actively seeking feedback on what people would like to see in the magazine, some of which is being published on the letters page. But, as Larry points out, she can only print what she receives. The current issue has some useful guidance on writing for the magazine which it is hoped will encourage more contributors to send in material.

Colin

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: December 04, 2020, 11:16:57 am »

One problem is the the new Editor, and she has been honest enough to admit it, knows little about this hobby.  She took over the editorship in a difficult situation, the magazine being out of print and having three editors in a short period of time.  Had she taken over directly from Paul Freshney, she would have probably found the magazine in a much better state.

The danger is that Lindsey could be vulnerable to suggestions from people with a personal and possibly limited agenda to promote.  You know, the person who criticizes the lack of the only topic they are interested in, maybe offering the fill the magazine with their contributions on this topic.  Then there are folks who would be tempted to "recycle" items relying on the Editors ignorance of what has gone before. Fortunately only one repeat of a previously published item has occurred, which in the confused state the editor inherited the magazine was understandable, but not by the authors failure to point this out.

With any magazine which tries to cover a subject that has many different aspects, there is bound to be issues which contain little, if any, of direct interest to you.  You may even be able to question the relevance of some items, but "pushing the envelope" can be a good thing (but not, I agree, going way outside it).

Overall, I find Lindsey's editorship skills to be good, the one item of mine she has published so far was given a few "tweeks" which improved it.  I have every confidence that she will heed constructive advise and not be swayed by biased, maybe even bigoted, comments to produce a balanced magazine content.  I don't expect every issue to be perfect but, one or two two interesting items plus one that really helps me in this hobby is good enough.

Now to figure out what to build over the Christmas and Covid period....
Glynn Guest
P.S Tug Fanatic  I didn't withdraw from the magazine but made the fatal error of assuming that a previous editor could distinguish between constructive comments and personal criticism.  The current editor now has a lot of my stuff if she can find space for it. 

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #103 on: December 04, 2020, 01:50:25 pm »

Well said Glynn.  :-))

old_gunner

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #104 on: February 05, 2021, 04:59:46 pm »

I am having problems with my Digital Subscription the back issues require Adobe Flash Player which has been discontinued, I am at a loss as there seems not to be an open architecture programme to replace the flash player, any ideas?
Old Gunners never die, they just drop shorter.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: February 05, 2021, 05:17:04 pm »

This has been discussed on the Model Boats website.

https://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=169611&p=4

The old files are being converted but it is taking a while as there are only limited resources available to do the job.

Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: February 05, 2021, 05:26:42 pm »

You are OK for most of 2019 and all 2020.

The others, I am told, are following (very slowly)

Model Engineering is doing much better than we are - their conversions are everything after Jan 2016 (or so I am told)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.