Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/12 Severn mast construction advice please  (Read 3727 times)

lesfac

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too late for a happy childhood
1/12 Severn mast construction advice please
« on: May 10, 2018, 06:09:24 pm »

I have been making the wheelhouse railings and now I am moving on to the mast assembly. Can anyone advise me on the assembly of the mast hoops and the mast "platform" shown in the picture. The mast hoops appear to go through the holes in the platform but of course they cant physically be fitted through the holes.

I am thinking the assembly method must be to cut the hoops and  run snug fitting tube inside the hoops toline them up and solder them.

Am I on the right track or am i missing something?

If anyone has some detailed pictures or drawings of the mast assembly I would be grateful to see them

Thanks in advance
Les

boat captain

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 1/12 Severn mast construction advice please
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 07:08:38 pm »

Hi Les

I have built the 1/16 version and my platform only has the cut outs no holes.  The mast uprights fit into the cut outs.  So assume yours is the same

Joe
Joe
Liverpool MBC Committee Member

RMH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 08:31:00 pm »

Hi Les
I built my mast from solid bar but used the same idea of cutting the hoops in half and using a tube on the outside epoxied the two halves together.
Richie

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
  • Do it nice or do it twice !
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 05:00:29 pm »

Hi Les,
 does this picture help, I can supply most of the mast photos.

lesfac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 11:29:02 am »

Thanks Alan
Yes that helps. If you could post here or pm me with a few photos of the mast geometry it would help me get the soldering layout right and help me be sure I am getting it something like correct.
Les

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 01:42:40 pm »

Hi Les,
 Tried to sort out a few general pics for you to give you the geometry, some are from 17-02 The Will. The topmast with the D/F aerial can hinge backwards to reduce the air draught when the bolts are removed, this type of D/F has been upgraded now.

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 08:45:00 am »

A few more photos for you Les, Hope the build is coming along well.

These are from 17-38 Daniel L Gibson when it was relief boat at Newhaven a couple of years ago. The mast and metal work on this on is in the new galvanised looking finish rather than the black coated finish.

Craig.

Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

lesfac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 09:01:33 am »

Thanks Alan and CraigMost useful to me.Its alovely day today so I will put the finishing on the back burner and go and sail it.In using it I have become aware that the Severn has a lot of fragile bits hanging on it that are at risk when transporting such a big beast. I havent made them yet but the handrails that are attached to the front of the wheelhouse and the deck look problematic as the wheelhouse is on and off all the time. However you attach them great care will be needed in refiiting the wheelhouse. I might look at having them slot in after fitting the wheelhouse.I dont know how most people approach this as I had never thought about these particular bits.Thanks for the photosLes

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 06:45:50 pm »

Seeing all the photos, I would consider cutting the pieces in half, and then putting a short length
of tubing underneath the platform to reconnect the two sides, and solder the lot.
 :-))

lesfac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 07:38:19 am »

Umi, In essence that is what I have resolved to do. But I will cut a section out to refit under the platform to maintain the diameter to fit the small bracing pieces under there.Alan, Craig, can I push my luck here? Do you have any photos of the framework that holds the backrest cushions on the flying bridge? A flat on shot from the rear would help me judge the scale of bitsLes

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 10:08:27 am »

Hi Les,
 Here are a couple of photos of Dover's backrest, I'm sure Craig will have some pics of the unpainted version.
The padded backrests are bolted through the brackets which are 2 inches wide and 1/4 inch thick.
these are simply welded to the uprights from inside of the backrest which means there is a slight gap between them. I am currently working on the backrests themselves which are being made from balsa pads covered with tissue then doped and painted. The backrests have now been upgraded and have different padding material from when I first started my research.
The question of the upgraded metalwork on the Severn and other boats in service, is also an interesting one, I personally prefer the painted scheme but know that others like the unpainted versions which cut down on maintenance for the crew...perhaps we could provoke some discussion on this topic somewhere on the site...it is relevant to the work you are now getting into.
enjoy....17-09[size=78%] [/size]

lesfac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 11:19:07 am »

Thanks again Alan    I will get to the point your photo illustrates but what I'm after is a shot from about 8 -10 feet further back so I can see the proportions of all of the tube work and set about making it up to join up to the mast that I also have to construct.
Regards
Les

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 12:54:19 pm »

I think 8-10 feet back from that point would put you flat on your back on the lower deck!  :D

I have been looking through my images and hopefully some of these will help.

I really want to get back to my build now after seeing these, been inspired again. Unfortunately a new house, rebuilding a lawn tractor and putting a new chassis under a Land Rover is taking up all my time, haven't been near my Severn for a long time now.  :((

Craig.
Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

lesfac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 04:05:14 pm »

Thanks Alan and Craig
Now I have enough info to go at it.
Craig, my build slowed a lot in the second year but I just about managed to keep creeping forward. Although there's still lots of detail to add, now I can sail it it helps with the motivation.
What has become apparent in sailing it it the risk of knocking bits off moving it about. I am also glad I reinforced all around the deck opening as it gives a convenient lifting point. I dont think it would be safe without the reinforcement.  I found the railings are highly vulnerable so I built the lash up in the photo. Its crude but it is proving effective. The boat cradle slots onto the wheeled carriage and is held in place with a single wing nut in the middle. I move it to the car on this and move it around the garage and garden but I dont take the wheeled bit with me when I go to sail it. With two people carrying it is a breeze but I can lift it into the car on my own. If I have to move it around at the venue I take the wheelhouse off and carry it separately.
Anyway once again thanks for taking the time to respond.

Les

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 08:23:21 pm »

Ah, I just re read your OP, and that was what you stated...  %) If the hoops are tubing, you just need to cut and pin.

Flundle (Speedline Models)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2018, 05:20:31 pm »

I supply the mast hoops pre-bent out of brass tubing. Cut and pin is the answer folks.
Adrian

lesfac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2018, 06:26:05 pm »

Yup it all worked out fine. Thanks to everyone for the help and useful information. I didnt know the term"cut and pin" but i guess thats what Ive done.....using a smaller tube sleeved inside the outer.Anyway the boat looks great and goes great.
I'll be getting big headed with the compliments im getting from onlookers. (All be it from the general public not the lifeboat rivet counters)☺ :-) Thanks again everyoneLes
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.