Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Battleship Richelieu 1943 Version 1/100 scale  (Read 16281 times)

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Battleship Richelieu 1943 Version 1/100 scale
« on: May 15, 2018, 11:52:31 am »

Hello all,
I'm a newcomer here, so pls give me a chance to introduce myself. My name is Serge, I'm 49, and I am a Frenchman. But, I lived for over 15 yrs in Scotland, working for the oil industry. I am not sure if any of you guys know Richelieu battleship, but it's got an interesting history. It fled Brest for Dakar in Senegal in June 1940 when the Germans invaded. While in Dakar, Churchill, in fear of it being given to the Kreigsmarine by Vichy government, launched operation "Menace". Degaule tried to disembark with some free French Marines, but the locals would have none of it. At the end, HMS Barham & HMS Resolution were ordered to sink Richelieu. But she fought back even though she was moored. She scored a hit on HMS Barham and HMS Resolution was torpedoed by our sub "Bévezier" and the Royal Navy left to leek its wounds. The funny thing is 2 years later, she was based in Triconmalee in Ceylon, fighting alongside the Brits...

Anyway, This is a ship I dreamed of for the past 30 years, ever since seeing a model in the Marine Museum in Paris. I started it 4 years ago and it is now nearing completion.

It features functional turrets as well as blank firing guns. Since a video is worth a 1000 words, here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7pjuD9dprw

cheers

Serge
Suave, mari magno turbantibus aequora ventis, E terra magnum alterius spectare laborem(Lucrece: De Natura Rerum)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Battleship Richelieu 1943 Version 1/100 scale
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 12:58:22 pm »

Welcome to the Mayhem Serge!

Wonderful model.   O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 01:36:54 pm »

Very nice indeed - I always though this class were very fine looking battleships. How many shots do you get before you have to reload?

And to add, any pictures of her under construction?

Cheers

Geoff

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 02:02:36 pm »

Hello Geoff,
well I get a single shot per tube before having to reload, so I get 8. On the video, I mis-wired the igniters somewhat and shot them two by twos... %%

Regarding the built, it is detailed on a French forum here: http://amis-model-naval-rc.forumactif.org/t37-construction-du-cuirasse-richelieu-automne-1943

but since I am way too lazy to detail it here (it's 14 forum pages long!) here are some pictures:

I did not get much help from the cat.... %)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C73zXU5qeSU

http://www.shipcamouflage.com/measure_32.htm]http://www.shipcamouflage.com/measure_32.htm]http://www.shipcamouflage.com/measure_32.htm
Light gray 5-O
Ocean Gray 5-L
Deck Blue 20-B

Cheers

Serge
Suave, mari magno turbantibus aequora ventis, E terra magnum alterius spectare laborem(Lucrece: De Natura Rerum)

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 03:43:34 pm »

Another set of pictures of the build:

[

Cheers

Serge

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 04:02:46 pm »

Perhaps another helping?

Cheers

Serge

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 08:22:39 pm »

Top work, i have a hull the same scale. My hull still hasn't got past putting the foredeck on and ive had the hull for 7 plus years.

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

steve pickstock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 08:40:53 pm »

Well, we asked and you delivered. I only have one thing to say superbe!

Elza

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 08:34:30 am »

Hi Serge,

Beautifeul ship the Richelieu. I have both the Richelieu and the Jean Bart 1/100. The ship's are 40 and 35 years old and in full working order. With the Richelieu we have won several champioenship in europe in late 70's and early 80's.

I have follow your building on the France forum and I have to say it looks great. How do you have let de 380mm kanon's working because i'm looking for something like that voor the my ship's.

Her are some pivture's of both.
Member of Mini Marine International
http://vriendenkring-mmi.nl

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 08:48:42 am »

Hi Elza,
nice to see some Dutch Richelieu & JB! They both look great!
Regarding my functional artillery, I feel uncomfortable sharing it in details here, as regards to UK legislation on the use of pyrotechnics...
This a family friendly forum, and I could not live with myself if some kid hurt himself doing something stupid. Pyrotechnics used to be my former job so I hold a training license.
However, I am willing to share any details with you through private mail, so do not hesitate to mail me.

Cheers

Serge

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 08:54:29 am »

Very nice indeed. It is always fascinating to the models under construction.

For the other models looking at gunfire systems may I suggest you have a look at my thread on Iron Duke with its gunfire system as I am getting 300/350 shots a session without reloading and not using pyrotechnics. Full details and plans are on the forum.

I wonder if we could all organise a Battleship fest one day so we can all meet up and do fleet sailing!

Thank you for posting.

Cheers

Geoff

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 09:17:29 am »

Hi Serge,

Just had a quick look at your build thread http://amis-model-naval-rc.forumactif.org/t37-construction-du-cuirasse-richelieu-automne-1943

One word "Amazing"

Saw the video of your pyro firing guns https://youtu.be/C73zXU5qeSU - don't think we can match that sound!!!

C-3PO

I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 09:22:28 am »

I wonder if we could all organise a Battleship fest one day so we can all meet up and do fleet sailing!

Cheers

Geoff

That's my dream! But we'd have to find some 1/100 scale HMS Bahram & HMS resolution for me to shoot back at in a re-enactment of Dakar Battle! :-)) :D

Cheers

Serge

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 09:25:48 am »

Hi Serge,

Just had a quick look at your build thread http://amis-model-naval-rc.forumactif.org/t37-construction-du-cuirasse-richelieu-automne-1943

One word "Amazing"

Saw the video of your pyro firing guns https://youtu.be/C73zXU5qeSU - don't think we can match that sound!!!

C-3PO

Well, C-3PO there's actually quite a bit of science behind it. From materials resistance calculations, to generating a large fireball using a slug of paraffin which catches fire in contact with oxygen. one thing I got left to crack is making the smoke black.... >>:-(

Cheers

Serge

Serge

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2018, 11:45:30 am »

Hi Serge,

One word "Amazing"

C-3PO

Actually you can!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7pjuD9dprw&t=17s

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2018, 12:17:00 pm »

Spectacular. How long have you been working on her? I love the paint scheme, even though she did not wear it long.Well Done!

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 12:21:45 pm »

Spectacular. How long have you been working on her? I love the paint scheme, even though she did not wear it long.Well Done!

I laid the keel down 4 yrs ago Akira.

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
new longer vidéo with added slow motion footage
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 06:00:01 am »

Hello all,
I re-edited my video last night to try to see what caused turret 2 to loose some 20mm ammo boxes when it fired with some slow-motion HD footage. {:-{
https://youtu.be/Wd__lvmcAgM
all tubes are actually built with recoil springs but clearly, they weren't very effective on T2. One thing for sure is that I won't try to fire the tubes on the ship axis, as I'd probably "clean" the deck forward of T1.... >:-o

Cheers

Serge

Elza

• Shipmate
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2018, 10:32:14 am »

Hi Serge,

Last night I have make the final programming of the Jean Bart.
The next thing is to make them smoke afther firing ;D

Rotating and elevation of the 380mm guns
Member of Mini Marine International
http://vriendenkring-mmi.nl

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2018, 11:06:25 am »

Elza...the turrets look good.......however we need to throw out scale speed representation of gun mounts

The train speed you show is approx. 3 times too fast...same with the rate of elevation

If we view many photographs of Richelieu or Jean Bart and other vessels of similar class, we rarely see the ships at turrets with Zero degree of elevation

Storing the turrets with - negative elevation was forbidden as the second mount pointed toward the FWD mount
+5 to +10 degrees of elevation was common

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2018, 10:36:28 am »

Hello every one!
I finished the last bits and bobs for the rear deck. The flag pole is made out of 2mm brass tube wich I tapered. It is removablefor transport. The hardest thing to do was the support structure out of 1mm brass wire. When you solder one bit, another bit comes of, grrrr  <*<
I alos cut the bulkheads for the rear of the smoke generators:

And I prepared the letters (extruded ones please!) for its name

I rather like the final result and that glorious tricolor (BEC flag from Cornwall Model Boat)

Next to come are the railings, which I will start at the rear (unlike what I usually do), to end up with the harder gun deck railings.
I'll take this opportunity to show you my collection of objects linked to the ship. It's all the different models of crew badges from 1939 to 1968 and the original 1946 sailors booklet about the ship. Forget the MG151 20mm shell, it's a German intruder (nothing we're not used to here in France!  %) :D)...

Cheers

Serge

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2018, 06:51:21 pm »

Hello Martin,
They are all and the same one! including mine in the pictures!
Top notch, well done!

Cheers

Serge

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2018, 10:17:53 pm »

She's a beautiful model Richelieu. A tip I learnt for preventing soldered bits from becoming unstuck when soldering the next bits on is to lay a piece of wet rag or tissue paper over the soldered parts near by and the water absorbs excess heat. I have even done this whilst using a small butane torch but with a little singeing!

The little touches such as the practice guns on the turret sides (I presume that is what those are  {:-{ ) make it a super model.

A question regarding the directors: Are they dual for each turret or does one control the man armament while the other controls the secondary armament in some way?
Pond weed is your enemy

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2018, 06:44:25 am »

She's a beautiful model Richelieu. A tip I learnt for preventing soldered bits from becoming unstuck when soldering the next bits on is to lay a piece of wet rag or tissue paper over the soldered parts near by and the water absorbs excess heat. I have even done this whilst using a small butane torch but with a little singeing!

The little touches such as the practice guns on the turret sides (I presume that is what those are  {:-{ ) make it a super model.

A question regarding the directors: Are they dual for each turret or does one control the man armament while the other controls the secondary armament in some way?

Hello,
thx for the soldering tip! Yes the guns on the side of the main turret are 90mm practice guns. The story goes that the joke on board when a new sailor boarded, was to tell him these were used to punch guide holes for the 380mm main guns into targets!

As for the directors, on the front the larger one is for the 380's and the top one is for the 152mm secondaries. The one at the rear is the backup director for the main artillery.

Cheers

Serge
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.