Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Battleship Richelieu 1943 Version 1/100 scale  (Read 16286 times)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: Battleship Richelieu 1943 Version 1/100 scale
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2018, 06:52:11 pm »

Ha! It reminds me of apprentices being told to get 'skyhooks' or in the case of Billy Connelly; Tins of Tartan paint!
Pond weed is your enemy

kiwi96

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2018, 07:43:31 am »

WOW. Makes my model look lame by comparison. Lovely work. At least I get more photos for reference. Will be looking at all pages on your forum post. Thanks for sharing.

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2018, 05:14:26 pm »

thanks Kiwi66.
at the moment I'm busy making guns for just about every Richelieu/ Jean-Bart I know as they all want the same...

One weekend of work left I guess...
By the way, if anybody is interested I can make any kind of guns for you, British, German, Japanes (I'm pretty open).

a+

Serge
Suave, mari magno turbantibus aequora ventis, E terra magnum alterius spectare laborem(Lucrece: De Natura Rerum)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2018, 07:47:26 pm »

I will keep this in mind :O)

Those tubes look very good  :-)) Did you do them by hand on the lathe or with CNC? Very skilled work either way Serge.

Amicalements! Ian  :-)
Pond weed is your enemy

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2018, 07:34:19 am »

Thx Ian.
No it's done on a standard Multirex lathe. I use Carbide tools (goes quicker).

Cheers

Serge
Suave, mari magno turbantibus aequora ventis, E terra magnum alterius spectare laborem(Lucrece: De Natura Rerum)

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2018, 08:03:24 am »

This is how I make them:

3.8 mm of noisy happiness!

Cheers

Serge

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2018, 09:03:54 pm »

Thanks for your run through of the model engineering Serge.
Pond weed is your enemy

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2018, 05:01:06 pm »

Hello everyone,
well, I just started on the railings:

it's hard work...

Cheers

Serge

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2018, 06:05:29 pm »

Hi everybody,
well, I finally decided to drill the portholes holes in the hull. It was really hard for me, mostly for cultural reasons . Indeed, being a former paratrooper,  we used to say "why jump of a perfectly good airplane? Well it's the exact same thing, why drill holes in a perfectly good and watertight hull?
Furthermore, a battleship is not a cruiseliner, so who needs portholes? I bet Bismarck didn't have any!  >>:-(
mm It took me ages to mark the place of each portholes on tape and then drill 0.7mm guide holes.

then, I drilled the main 4mm holes using a wood drillbit

There are over 250+ portholes and I only had 200 so I had to order some more from my favorite Polish bloke at RB-model.com
Also, I carried on with the railings until I ran out of 0.5mm brass wire (on order as well)

Cheers! (it's beer time here)

Serge

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2018, 07:26:39 pm »

She is a lovely ornament for your lounge Serge! I made portholes to cast in pewter so they plug the holes drilled to accommodate them.

Pond weed is your enemy

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2018, 09:11:08 am »

Hello,
To illustrate Ballastanksian question on Kiwi Richelieu's thread next door about my cadet: I just can't drive my own ship when he's around... :police: :((

As soon as I've armed the 380's... O0

It's a big baby!

Anyway, I started painting the 250 portholes...

I just got that feeling I am building a cruiseliner with 200mm thick cemented steel armor belt:

Ballastanksian, this is what happens when I try to melt pewter, so I'll try to keep away from it... {:-{

Cheers

Serge

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2018, 11:08:31 am »

Bloomin heck Serge  :o Model boating isn't meant to be a contact sport (Secret Ten team look away!) You are meant to build up your heat resistance gradually and not in one go  :} 

Your Cadet looked deep in concentration there, which is a good sign. I think Steamboat Phil's Cadets are similarly skilled in the various sailing disciplines. Still, what you and Kiwi are doing is very interesting. She and her sister were very beautiful ships, the fig. goes to show that despite people's passion for super big and super heavy etc, the Allies were also sporting considerable armour thicknesses. Yamato wasn't the only battleship to sport 17inches of armour.

Anyhow, arrange a summit with your Cadet and work out a schedule so you can have some sailing fun as well!

Amicalement! Ballastanks
Pond weed is your enemy

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
Announcement from "Cardinal" Travel
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2018, 10:19:06 am »

Hello,
Announcement from Cardinal Travel Agency:
"Hello, we'd like to inform our kind customers that we have added portholes to our Richelieu cruise liner. Indeed, passangers who book a cabin outside the armoured coffre will from now on have a seaview. We remind or clients that the ship has been proof tested in Dakar against HMS Bahram & Resolution 16" AP shells *. To book, you must be at a 1/100 scale. Happy cruising! :}

* : Ship and cruise not garanred against Sopwith torpedoes"

PS: we've also painted the railings:

Cheers

Cardinal Travel Agency

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2018, 06:14:41 pm »

Cor, 16 inch guns would have put the Queens and Sovereigns on a par with the Nagatos! But they only had 15's the same as Richelieu which are not to be sniffed at  :} She looks great with her portholes  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2018, 06:16:57 pm »

Cor, 16 inch guns would have put the Queens and Sovereigns on a par with the Nagatos! But they only had 15's the same as Richelieu which are not to be sniffed at  :} She looks great with her portholes  :-))

Thx, Ballastankstan! This explains that!

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2018, 08:56:38 am »

Hello everyone,
having finished the railings:

I now turn my attention to the 9 launches & skiffs:

There is one missing having broken my saw blade... <*<
It's going to take me some time to make all of them.

Cheers

Serge

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2018, 09:00:07 pm »

That is an excellent start Serge! I hope you manage to get a new blade soon.
Pond weed is your enemy

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2018, 11:27:10 pm »

Beautiful job! She did look lovely after her refit. The added AA gave the bristling effect. I especially liked her camouflage scheme as well. Well done!

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2018, 09:42:02 am »

Thx Akira & Ballastanksian
well, I haven't made much progress after a week on vacation without (scaled) ships.
I had started planking the hulls of all 7 largest skiffs. Being quite impatient, and furthermore nearing the completion of this build, I thought that instead of planking everything, I might as well (considering the number of skiffs),  mould them using  imprint in a silicon mould technique. Also, this will allow me to make some for friends making Jean-Bart & Richelieu. I know nothing about moulding techniques, but it's something I got to learn for my next project, Yamato.
So, instead of planking everything, I just need to make a print for each type of skiff used on Richelieu, and I experimented with the technique consisting of gluing blocs of balsa between members and then filling everything down to the proper shape (and I'm no artist nor scupltor!). Then I just applied some époxy mastic (SR5550 + Mixfill 10) .and voilà!
Besides being impatient, I am also an hopeless optimist, so I used my 4 year old époxy resin to make mastic which I applied:

Only that, after 4 years on my shelves, the époxy is not good anymore and never cured properly, with a rubber like consistency which I cannot sand down... <:( :-X
So, I had to start again, with freshly ordered époxy (SR5550+SR5505 & mixfill 10) which worked this time. After sanding the hulls down, I'm quite happy with the shapes which are nice and smooth.

Then, I just "varnished" the sanded down hulls with a brush and straight époxy, to give it a nice glassy finish.

Next step is the making of the moulds (my first ever).

cheers

Serge

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2018, 02:30:11 pm »

Hello,
well, since the époxy layer has finished setting, I made some sole out of plastacine for the skiffs as well as styrene frames. I had to work the volumes out just right since I only got 1 liter of RTV

Just placed everything within the frames.

The dosage is 50g hardener for 1L RTV so I poured all the hardener in the bottle and mixed up for 20 min. I just hope it's well mixed as it's difficult due to the thickness of the RTV compound (just wish they'd stick some dye in the hardener)...  >>:-(
Anyhow, I mixed it with a big stick for over 15 minutes.

then, I poured it in after spraying with release agent:

20 hours to set, we'll see what gives tomorrow....  :P

Cheers

Serge

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2018, 02:51:39 pm »

Lovely intricate work. 
Great idea to scratch-model one of each ships boat, then make a mould and cast them.   :-))
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2018, 06:46:11 pm »

Lovely intricate work. 
Great idea to scratch-model one of each ships boat, then make a mould and cast them.   :-))

Well, as a confirmed agnostic, I am praying for that bleeming RTV to set by tomorrow...

Cheers

Serge

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2018, 11:14:07 pm »

Hi Serge, you can get colourants for silicone. It might be pricey though  {:-{

Lovely boats by the way.
Pond weed is your enemy

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2018, 08:11:51 pm »

Good evening everyone,
this morning, I tried to take the masters off the silicon moulds and guess what...

A blooming Wonder! Everything came apart nice and easy (thanks to the release agent). I've given the masters to my 9 years old to play with...  %%
Even the wee bitty at the back of the skiff's keels and the negative angles, no problemo. :}

The only thing that's left is to produce actual prints from these beautiful moulds. I initially thought using 2 layers of 80gr/M2 of glass cloth and I prepared everything:

I quickly realised that it's not easy removing air bubbles from angles using the glass cloth squares, so I ended up using several layers of 1 inch bands. Another surprise I found after completing skiff N°2, epoxy polymerisation is exothermal, and once it heats up real good in the pot and it sets hard in a few seconds after 25 minutes (in the pot only though). I use SR5550 resin and SR5504 hardener from "Sicomin". I think I'm gonna get glass mat instead.

Anyhow, we'll see what gives tomorrow.

tata

Serge

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2018, 09:51:46 am »

Hello,
I released the prints this morning:

and I am quite happy with them, a few bubbles here and there but they are internal, the external surface is perfect, despite the fact that it's hard to imagine more complicated a shape.
So I started a second batch using the same technique! I bought some glass mat, but it's so thick I haven't even tried it. I'll just carry on with my current technique and glass cloth.

Cheers

Serge
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 22 queries.