Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A RANT ABOUT ENGLISH LANGUAGE MISUSE by the press  (Read 4299 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
A RANT ABOUT ENGLISH LANGUAGE MISUSE by the press
« on: May 19, 2018, 11:38:19 am »

Is it any wonder that our children are brought up not being able to converse  with other people, other than on their phones in text speak, when a news report puts this comment up on a computer news page...

"Are octopuses from space?"

My god, what did I spend 22 years in the teaching profession for, when all my fellow teachers' hard work is destroyed by incompetents who make  uninformed comments like that?

Is this from:  https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/techandscience/are-octopuses-from-outer-space-study-suggests-cephalopod-eggs-traveled-to-earth-on-a-comet/ar-AAxsod1?li=AAnZ9Ug  - Admin

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Re: A RANT ABOUT ENGLISH LANGUAGE MISUSE by the press
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 12:24:02 pm »

A wasted 22 years then ? %)    Wasn't it was YOUR generation of teachers that taught the incompetents O0 .  (Or tried to)
..well can you land on this?

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 12:48:06 pm »

A wasted 22 years then ? %)    Wasn't it was YOUR generation of teachers that taught the incompetents O0 .  (Or tried to)

I feel it so, arrow, many times...…….but I've been retired 25 years so it is either the generation of teachers after me...………..or the politicians who set such instrumentation into schools that couldn't teach the three "R's", but instead designed a system of spelling and grammar that was unworkable...……...you can blame Ken Baker for that massive bungle in education standards.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 12:55:05 pm »

polititions  Neil :o

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 01:01:55 pm »

A statement no more outlandish than many other cosmic intelligent life form arguments. What is there to get worked up about?

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 01:04:59 pm »

polititions  Neil :o

yep...…….rest my case jaymac…………..and only one of you picked up on that deliberate mistake...……..

The EWA or Phonetic method of spell as you hear or say a word, was the biggest disaster to our childrens' development that ever happened...…..and thankfully I didn't have to use those methods in wood technology and tech drawing.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 01:07:12 pm »

A statement no more outlandish than many other cosmic intelligent life form arguments. What is there to get worked up about?

not talking about the statement, brian……….more the use of plurals...………...the idiot will be using the word "SHEEPS" next to describe a flock of sheep...……...or even cannons...……….no "s" on the plural of the big gun, whereas there is on the church ruler...…...

he might be right in his statement...……...I for one might have read it had he not subjected us all to his ignorance in the use of the English language.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 02:05:26 pm »

Never give a sucker an even break then....
Colin

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 02:31:57 pm »

Only two N's in Canon of the Clergy Neil  %)

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

mrlownotes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 03:41:17 pm »

Upcoming generations will not need to use correct spelling or grammar. All communications will be corrected by the computers/handhelds that they use to create their drivel.  :(( The 'receivers' of any incorrect spelling or appalling grammar will be blindly unaware anyway. :(( Such is the evolution of language. :(( Such is the destruction of the English language, at least as I know it in my time on this planet.

Bintur Ellenbach

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2018, 04:44:18 pm »

Is it any wonder that our children are brought up not being able to converse  with other people, other than on their phones in text speak, when a news report puts this comment up on a computer news page...

"Are octopuses from space?"

My god, what did I spend 22 years in the teaching profession for, when all my fellow teachers' hard work is destroyed by incompetents who make  uninformed comments like that?

The comment is a question , anyway we all know that Octopuses are from Mars and that Dolphins and Whales are from Space.. :}

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2018, 05:40:20 pm »

And Donald Trump firmly believes that they are Octopussies so they say....
Colin

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2018, 05:41:29 pm »

Only two N's in Canon of the Clergy Neil  %)

Ned
3 n's in a big gun...…….2 n's in canon, of the clergy ned...….you are right but I meant in the middle, lol.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2018, 05:42:59 pm »

And Donald Trump firmly believes that they are Octopussies so they say....
Colin

he would Colin.……..he's a fellow alien.....his MIB prove that, {-) {-) {-)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2018, 05:44:17 pm »

Upcoming generations will not need to use correct spelling or grammar. All communications will be corrected by the computers/handhelds that they use to create their drivel.  :(( The 'receivers' of any incorrect spelling or appalling grammar will be blindly unaware anyway. :(( Such is the evolution of language. :(( Such is the destruction of the English language, at least as I know it in my time on this planet.

true, but very sad...……...and they'll still need to pass exams with spell check and other aids turned OFF.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.

furball

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2018, 11:41:30 pm »

Sorry, am I missing something completely obvious here?

The plural of octopus is octopuses, or octopodes if you’re being strictly correct.

It’s certainly not octopi, as that’s trying to stuff a Latin ending on a Greek word.

Confused...

Lance

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2018, 07:39:07 am »

Hi Furball, and thanks, I would have misspelt octopii with two  i's.  However the aforesaid are very clever and always fun to watch on marine wild life programmes (my preferred spelling).  With outlandish claims the journalist is trying to be noticed and make a better life for him (?) self.  It seems to have succeded in a small way too (double O here).
There used to be a local cinema on the way to the grammar school that advertised films outside and most times there was a spelling mistake.   I agree with Neil about ITA spelling, it was a disaster, my son was a victim of it but has now recovered and is a registered author.
I think we all remember the daft things that happen best.  I saw the film Eddie the Eagle on TV recently, he came last in competition, do not know who came first.  But he succeded in his goal.
regards (frequently misspelt by me)
 Roy (EaOE)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2018, 08:37:12 am »

On a more or less daily basis, I walk past a retirement/rest home.  They say that the incumbents will be "Cherised".  One day, when they actually read their sign, or when somebody reads it for them, they might wish that they had employed an English speaking signwriter.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2018, 09:49:22 am »

On a more or less daily basis, I walk past a retirement/rest home.  They say that the incumbents will be "Cherised".  One day, when they actually read their sign, or when somebody reads it for them, they might wish that they had employed an English speaking signwriter.

Depends if it is run by Basil Fawlty or not.. :}

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2018, 12:15:53 pm »

Sorry, am I missing something completely obvious here?

The plural of octopus is octopuses, or octopodes if you’re being strictly correct.

It’s certainly not octopi, as that’s trying to stuff a Latin ending on a Greek word.

Confused...

Lance

actually, lance...…….the correct plural of octopus is OCTOPI, or if you wish to go latin, it is octopii….of course I am being absurdly pedantic about this, but then, I went to a secondary modern school that actually taught latin alongside English language...…..NOT  modern English, which accepts words like that which Murray Walker would make up during a race which have fo
und their way into modern English  language
.and probably you are looking at the ever encroaching of dumbing down of the English language, which I find intolerable...………….long gone are the days of strict teaching of the true English language, which I like to follow, even with my prescribed dyslexia.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2018, 12:21:53 pm »

Don't think you are correct there Neil as has already been pointed out.
https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/270/what-is-the-correct-plural-of-octopus/271
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/explore/what-are-the-plurals-of-octopus-hippopotamus-syllabus/
However, everyone knows that spiders are from Mars....
Colin

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2018, 12:38:35 pm »

Don't think you are correct there Neil as has already been pointed out.
https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/270/what-is-the-correct-plural-of-octopus/271
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/explore/what-are-the-plurals-of-octopus-hippopotamus-syllabus/
However, everyone knows that spiders are from Mars....
Colin

the clue, colin is in the wording "modern English" which I have pointed out in my last post.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2018, 01:18:32 pm »

How modern do you want to get Neil? My 1977 Oxford dictionary states Octopuses at first option and Octopodes as an alternative. Nothing about Octopi.
And I would disagree that there is anything such as 'true English language'. All languages have evolved from earlier variants and continue to do so. English is no exception.
And if you want to be pedantic, I believe dyslexia is diagnosed and not prescribed - unless of course you have really upset your GP.... %)
Colin

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2018, 02:40:16 pm »

How modern do you want to get Neil? My 1977 Oxford dictionary states Octopuses at first option and Octopodes as an alternative. Nothing about Octopi.
And I would disagree that there is anything such as 'true English language'. All languages have evolved from earlier variants and continue to do so. English is no exception.
And if you want to be pedantic, I believe dyslexia is diagnosed and not prescribed - unless of course you have really upset your GP.... %)
Colin

my English language lessons date from 1960-'67, colin when we were still taught "pwopper inglissshhhh" %% {-) {:-{
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.