Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No Post today  (Read 2183 times)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
No Post today
« on: May 19, 2018, 06:46:11 pm »

Sometimes it is worth paying extra for next day delivery, when you need something urgently, as I did yesterday.

Well, it kinda backfired on me today.  Turned out there is no Post at all in Windsor today, due to the security arrangements for a Very Special Event here today. The Main Post Office and Parcel Office are close to the centre of Windsor, much of the centre being in security lock-down today, including the Post Office.

I will probably have to wait until Monday now.  Ah well  :D
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
Re: No Post today
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 06:55:28 pm »

Hi Bob,

These things are sent to try us!!!

How about this - 5 hours soldering and plugged mcu board into a power supply - things got quite hot!!!

Another hour of searching and unsoldering major components and then I found it - a partially etchced stripboard track

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 07:10:03 pm »

WoW C-3PO.   >>:-(

I hope nothing got damaged.  As you say these things are sent to try us   :-X

On my delayed Next Day delivery, living in Windsor I should have anticipated that.
It has been a wonderful but crazy day, which I had hoped to spend charging new batteries whilst watching the Wedding on television.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 07:30:00 pm »

Watch the wedding were you on punishment?
      I have no problem with two people getting married its just the £3,000.000 security bill the us taxpayers get as a present. How many Nurses,Teachers would that pay for.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 07:54:02 pm »

Are you suggesting that there should have been no security then?
Colin

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 08:44:07 pm »

A commentator on the news this morning reckoned that the wedding and associated business will generate about a billion in revenue with a percentage of that going to the exchequer in the way of taxes. While members of said family have some funny ideas about architecture and have poked their noses into due process regarding the same, we are lucky to have a monarchy that is about as liberal as you can get, are largely solvent (partly civil list but also actual income from estates and such like) and not likely to get us involved in wars because it looks good or goes begging to the parliament opened just for that purpose on occasion, or indeed gets involved in spivvery, inbreeding or burning of those who don't follow their religion. Several there refer to our glorious Tudors while others refer to Jacobeans and even earlier dynasties.

A friend on Facebook likened the Markles to trailer trash, but at least the new women in the royal family are not cousins or other folk who are apt to twang the banjo (Think Deliverance  :D ) and actually freshen up the gene pool.

Pond weed is your enemy

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 08:47:03 pm »

Once again your three penneth! I'm not suggesting anything only my opinion on use Taxpayers money.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 08:51:02 pm »

No worries, I wasn't ranting, having read several very negative, and in a couple of cases, borderline racist comments on the whole escapade, I sparked. I apologise and don't want you to think I was griping at you in particular  :embarrassed:
Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 08:51:18 pm »

Security is unfortunately a necessary fact of life around the world, from pop concerts to the Houses of Parliament, and even politicians in republics.  The cost for a small town like Windsor is a tiny fraction of what President Trumps daily security must cost.

A single day, watched by an estimated 1.9 Billion people, that shows how Britain can achieve ceremonial excellence and Magic like nowhere else on Earth.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 08:56:46 pm »

But, as Ballastankian suggests, you need to take a wider view. This was a a massive event viewed by millions all over the world, as well as the wedding itself the images of Windsor Castle were stunning and overall it is likely to have paid for itself many times over in terms of stimulating tourism and the economy. In addition it will have enhanced the Uk's status in the world as nobody else puts on a show like this. This is all good for UK plc. and will boost the UK government tax take and so enable more money to go into public services if the Government so choose which is a different issue altogether. A no brainer really.
Colin

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2018, 09:33:17 pm »

I totally agree Colin.  Over 100,000 paid loads to visit a place with a population of only 32,000, and the long term tourism boost by this one day of "mega world advertising" is priceless.

As I tell people, this is a small town with two hills.  Her Majesty lives on one, and I live on the other.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2018, 09:35:43 pm »

Hello Bob, I am not a Royal fan but I watched most of the wedding and it was rather good.  However did this come as a surprise to you?  Can you imagine a postie doing his rounds with all that going on?  I can imagine Pat the postman with his black and white cat, but that's about it!
The upside is that you had a very nice weather day, blue skies and a lot of happy people.
regards Roy

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2018, 03:35:34 am »

I am sure that there are millions of potential tourists around the world who had never heard of Windsor Castle, and many more who would not have considered visiting on a trip to London (or Legoland). Now many more visitors will have Windsor on their tick list of must visits.
As for the qualities of Meghan Markle, you only have to look at her previous charity work and causes that she supports to see that she is already prepared for that part of the role of a princess.
One thing that was clear from the video is that Prince Harry is not one of the usual stuffed shirts. He seems like a more down to earth, relaxed, and warm person, (same for the bride) and that was nice to see. BTW I am not a royalist.
Now all we need is for Bob to get his post :-))
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2018, 08:20:41 am »

Summat 'appened yesterday did it? I wouldn't know I was too busy boat building. I did wonder why my wife dissapeared to a friends house all day to watch tv with his missus :embarrassed:

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2018, 03:22:49 pm »

I think the most important thing about Saturday's wedding is that we finally got to find out what the Actress said to the Bishop!
"I Do"!
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 22 queries.