Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Never rains unless it pours!  (Read 1366 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Never rains unless it pours!
« on: May 27, 2018, 07:58:38 pm »

Last week the power unit for the laser cutter self destructed, putting paid to any further ship building work until I can get hold of the new one.

So I've been doing other stuff in the meantime, out of mothballs came the pond yacht and work continues on that, then the biggy, I continued piecing together the software for the micro controllers for the stril barents. That involves a lot of brainwork and key punching on the laptop.

Now this afternoon that has come to a grinding halt, my own fault of course!

The laptop was open on the coffee table with a drink next to it. I was watching the grands prix = willing that something would happen to Vettel and Hamilton could get past him all the while wanting Ricciardo to win. So engrossed that one of the dogs was pestering me to go out and play with him and his ball, he kept dropping it in my lap and yapping.

So I picked up the ball and threw it toward the kitchen door hoping to distract him. Of course I knock over the glass, contents end up on laptop and now it won't work! All my files are on there! Many profanities later and I am computerless, this is the second time in 5 years my clumsiness has cost me a puter. Now I am stuck accessing everything via my tablet and I just hate not having a proper keyboard.

At least I can drag out the hard disk and get at the files once I get a replacement, but its all the software that I am going to have to replace - Coreldraw, Photoshop, Office, Laser cutter, the list will be endless and of course where are all the serial numbers, so I can re download them? yep in a file on the hard disk! Even worse I have avoided win 10 for the last couple of years, preferring win 8.1, but it looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and upgrade.

The one tiny ray of hope, I have sent for a new pcb that contains the on/off button and keyboard, just £20 from the Bay of E dealer, got to be worth trying rather than laying out for a new computer straight off!.

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
Re: Never rains unless it pours!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 09:56:45 pm »

You could do what I did, buy a high quality refurbished unit - with Win 7, rather than Win 10. My HP Elitebook would have cost around £1200 new, but I got it for £300 including a docking station. It's built like a brick outhouse and won't win any awards in the looks department but it outperforms my son's MacBook Pro and survived a 3 foot fall from a stand (my fault, I should have secured it tighter) with no damage other than a scuff and a disconnected second HDD - fixed in moments.
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 10:07:31 pm »

stick it in the airing cupboard in a bag with rice in it for a few days, it might just up and work after.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 07:04:16 am »

I've fixed two of my cousin's laptops after similar accidents by the simple means of replacing the keyboard. In both cases it was impossible for the liquid to penetrate below the keyboard. It may be worth removing the keyboard to see if the liquid has penetrated, then follow Grendel's suggestion.

Barrie

PS Youtube is your friend for how to remove the keyboard :-)) :-))

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 07:11:36 am »

I've removed the keyboard Barrie, even dried it out with a hair dryer, but getting it out damaged the ribbon cable connector on th on off button. So waiting for replacements. Nothing inside was wet so hopefully all will be well, if not ill investigate what meechingman suggests

dpbarry

• If it ain't broke, break it and curse fixing it!
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Newcastle Lifeboat Station
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 11:49:31 am »

I've removed the keyboard Barrie, even dried it out with a hair dryer, but getting it out damaged the ribbon cable connector on th on off button. So waiting for replacements. Nothing inside was wet so hopefully all will be well, if not ill investigate what meechingman suggests

Have a look on eBay to see if you can get a replacement laptop the same as your own if you aren’t able to get your own started after replacing the ribbon cable.

All you may need to do if you get one is Just swap out the HD. You may have to register the operating System again but that ‘should’ happen automatically. If not, a call to Microsoft usually sorts it out. Did for me.

:-)) :-))

Declan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.