Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shed Roof Stuff?  (Read 1838 times)

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Shed Roof Stuff?
« on: June 14, 2018, 09:35:39 am »

Morning All!
The felt on my modelling den/shed roof has come to the end of it's active life after 16 years. I'm told that the current "best" option is the rubber membrane stuff which I'm told should last significantly longer but at a cost.
Any ideas?Has anyone used it?
After all it's probably the most important roof on the estate!
Cheers {:-{

david48

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Shed Roof Stuff?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 10:01:14 am »

Good Morning ,
I have had shed roof issues ,I finished up using box profile insulated metal from a company  called Steadmans thy have all the requirements to complete the   job ,the shed will fall apart before the roof gives in .If the wood under the felt is good "ie"thick external ply and not boards self adhesive tiles are good thy come in a strip of 4or5 thy look good when finished and easier to handle, you do not say if it is a peak roof or a pent roof ,if it is pent the tiles might not be my first choice . As to the question about rubber type felt I have never used it because I wanted to do the roof once and for all , and again it all comes down to budget. That's my input for what its worth .
David 
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 10:27:59 am »

http://www.swelluk.com/pond/pond-liners-54/?gclid=CjwKCAjwpIjZBRBsEiwA0TN1r3vgfsiezu0FtnYZ7mVI8_YYYk7aA6irHpF-K8pYqy5P_TEAyNA_CxoC364QAvD_BwE
phone these peeps up. should last 25 years. my mate has it on his roof. tacked up with industrial staples and clout nails.
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 11:14:54 am »

with us lot being modellers and used to fibreglassing why not use your skills and laminate the roof, nemesis

surfer71

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 11:18:19 am »

fiberglass is the way to go these days to be honest... it's a bigger undertaking but once done!!! your set for life really..

my shed roof is 30ft by 12 and I am looking to do this on that one
If it floats it's a winner :-)

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 11:56:45 am »

The shed's about 16' x 8' with a pent roof. It's a good 20 years old with clinker built (ship lap I presume) walls and a 1/2" ply roof. It's treated every 3-4 years to a coat of proper creosote (Smells Wonderful %) ).
Klunk, did your mate put the pond underlay under the membrane? I've used the membrane for the pond and it certainly seems tough.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 12:54:34 pm »

I’ve used GRP, but also use polycarbonate, corrugated and twin wall. Reasonably priced off eBay, extremely tough and you can just screw it down over your existing roof, the underlying wood will provide valuable insulation.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 07:53:29 pm »

Standing Seam zinc plated steel - dead easy on a pent roof. Fit & forget for 50 years.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 11:07:00 pm »

{-)....not a s-s-shed, but a home Pergola 18M x 5M......overlooking the pool ....went for a Greeshion low stepped profile corrugated twin wall in light Smoke colour tinted Polycarbonate ...had a 20 year Warranty against Mother Nature

O0 21 year after the build we had a rather intense hail storm in Wollongong.......you guessed it ...the hail punched 100's of  holes in that roof.....& each hole lead to a fracture line

<:( Heart broken ........although I understand plastic materials have improved over the years......but next time plain toughened glass  :kiss:
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 11:39:05 am »

Hi, my shed / workshop is 12' x 8' and now about 21 years old.  Felt roof got torn in a storm maybe 5 years ago.  I replaced it with same.  It was first installed at my last house in 1993 with guttering (Peak roof), when I moved in 2004 I did not put the guttering back, big mistake!
 I recently found that the rain splashing up from coming off the roof was soaking the lower wood of the walls and it was starting to rot.I stabilised the wood and have now put some old but unused floor covering to protect the lower part, not pretty but replacing the wood was going to be too big job.
regards Roy

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 11:14:59 pm »

24 years ago I did my garage roof as the felt had gone I got some stuff from Wicks called RUBBER ROYED I think no heat or burners plastic sheet covers the glue the action of pulling it off activates it I had to put down new chipboard sheets if you do it has to be  primed  with a black type primer other then that so easy as coming with full instructions from start to Finish  me and daughter  one day I have moved house but as far as I  its still ok. garage was 22ft x15ft and then cost about £300 and that was with the chipboard sheets
                                  Regards Howard

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2018, 04:58:03 am »

Hi Derek W as an aside I see that Bunnings are closing down in the UK, they bought a chain of DIY called Homebase, which used to be owned by Sainsburys and rebranded Bunnings.  All in a year!  They posted losses of £M544.  They tried to woo UK customers with sausage sarnies, sorry mate, should have used bacon!  Just needed a bit of research!
regards Roy

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2018, 09:05:31 am »

Thanks all for the info and ideas. I'll now plan the strategy 'cos I've got another couple of storage sheds that could do with an upgrade.
Thanks again,
Tony :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.