Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Motor ESC advice please  (Read 1656 times)

F Flintstone

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Motor ESC advice please
« on: May 25, 2018, 11:08:45 am »

I have now started to install the electrics to the "Steam Yacht"  I have two Re540s on 6 to 1 boxes, pulling 3amps each, with contro 40mm brass props, the motors will run as one, I assume I will need one ESC of at least 10amps, they are powered off two 12Vlt 7A batteries in parallel, Iam old school so ESCs are new to me, there seems to be a huge amount of them and at very different prices, any advice. thankyou

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
Re: Motor ESC advice please
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 11:46:54 am »

I would go for a minimum of a 15 amp ESC, and fit a 10 amp fuse between the battery and the ESC. You are unlikely to get near the stall current of the motors, but should be aware that is very large. Recommended makes are Mtronics, Action electronics and Electronize. Each make has its enthusiasts and detractors but those are generally sound. In my opinion, avoid the cheap Chinese ESC s seen on various web sites, the quality control and specifications are ludicrous.
Chas

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Motor ESC advice please
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 02:59:03 pm »

If using two motors in parallel, feeding each through its own fuse is a good idea.  If one of the motors blows its fuse for whatever reason, it allows the boat to be recovered on the other.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.