Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tony Olliff  (Read 2769 times)

stuart22

• Full Mayhemer
Tony Olliff
« on: May 26, 2018, 10:15:03 pm »

Not sure if people are aware that Tony Olliff of the Southern Model Life Boat Association passed away a few weeks ago, as I have not seen it on the mayhem web site, if I have missed it then I apologise.
He ran the Association for many years with Reg Woodcote and collected thousands of pounds for local RNLI Stations.
He will be truly missed by all, his Model life boats had been built to a very high standard and gained awards.

Here's to you Tony.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Tony Olliff
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 10:28:51 pm »

Is the name right or could you mean Tony Olliff

Error corrected.

Peter Fitness, Moderator.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Tony Olive
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 10:34:51 pm »

Tony was a frequent visitor and chatter on the Blackpool LBES Stand <:( ..…….rip tony.

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 11:19:56 pm »

Not sure if people are aware that Tony Olliff of the Southern Model Life Boat Association passed away a few weeks ago, as I have not seen it on the mayhem web site, if I have missed it then I apologise.
He ran the Association for many years with Reg Woodcote and collected thousands of pounds for local RNLI Stations.
He will be truly missed by all, his Model life boats had been built to a very high standard and gained awards.

Here's to you Tony.

If this is Tony Olliffe, then it is indeed a sad loss.Tony was a real gentleman, and always a pleasure to meet up with at shows we both attended.
We have missed him in recent months, and I assumed he was ill.
I am very surprised indeed, that I have only just heard this, for a man who was a great ambassador for model lifeboat builders, and for the RNLI
Mick F.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 09:23:47 am »

Another very sad loss. Like Mick, I'm a bit surprised it has only just been mentioned as Tony was always very active on behalf of the RNLI through the Southern Model Lifeboat Society and travelled to shows and events all over the country.

I knew Tony for over 40 years from back in the heyday of the MPBA Scale Championships in the 70s & 80s and in later years usually bumped into him once or twice a year when we had a catch up, often at the Midhurst Model Show or anywhere else that the SMLS was exhibiting which was at many of the major events.

As Mick says, he was always a real gentleman with a great sense of humour who built some superb lifeboat models and often exhibited at the Model Engineer Exhibition.
Tony's day job was running his business Emsworth Kitchens where he lived on the south coast and after his retirement some years ago he and his wife would often travel to France for short breaks and on one occasion while watching the entry into Portsmouth from a ferry when returning from one of our own trips I felt a tap on the shoulder and there was Tony grinning away as usual.

The photo below shows Tony at Midhurst in 2015 holding the award he was given by the RNLI to mark 25 years of fundraising, something he was very proud of. I do hope the RNLI will mention him in the next issue of their magazine, he certainly deserves it.

Tony was one of the best, he will be missed.

Colin

del7317

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is theBest!
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 09:49:46 am »

R.I.P Tony great gentlemen he will be sadly Missed at all the shows.
 Derek

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 11:52:41 am »

A very sad loss indeed and one of the stalwarts of the International Model Lifeboats weekends held a Southport. He told me three or four years ago that he was not well, and not having heard of him for sometime I thought it had caught up with him.

Dave Wooley and I were going through some old MB mags from thirty or forty years ago yesterday, and looking at some of the group pictures at shows and exhibitions and realising that not many of those in pictures are with us now. Sad, but what is sadder still, just were are the people who should be taking their place? The World moves on but we seem to be standing still.

LB

Stavros

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 06:40:52 pm »

Having met Tony many moons ago at many shows and he became a good friend....He always supported the Coalville Model Boat show and he came to the Blackpool show as well.....His lifeboats were always immaculatly presented and He won many times at the Coalville show and if I am not mistaken won Best in show as well.

A Sad loss to the Modeling community RIP Tony Old friend

My sinceere condolances to his Family

Dave

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 10:41:36 pm »

I remember him by sight when attending Midhurst show and Brighton Model world (I think) as an exhibitor. It is easy to forget that all the selfless work put in by the crews and staff of the RNLI would be much much harder without the efforts of people like Mr Olliff.
Pond weed is your enemy

No-lifeboatpaul

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 03:46:52 pm »

We were told the sad news at the Alfold show last weekend and were very saddened by the news  , our display team raised a glass in the evening to the memory of Tony in a fashion I’m sure he would have approved of , Kim Belcher announced his sad passing at the prize giving ceremony at the end of the show and explained that the current lifeboat trophy would be re-worded to the Tony Olliff  award for best lifeboat in show ( or something very similar as my memory so good !)

Southern Model Display Team
The Southern Model Display Team - London's Top  display team !

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 06:35:01 pm »

I am sure Tony would be most chuffed to know this. A fitting tribute, and one which should encourage more members to have a go at producing lifeboats to the standards Tony was rightly known for, well done.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.