Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Build JAE 12G  (Read 2237 times)

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
New Build JAE 12G
« on: May 28, 2018, 11:11:51 am »

After a long time away from modelling boats, I'm back and have started off again by building a JAE 12.

This was entirely scratch built from the JAE plans. I'll be using a Novarossi 12 car motor, but with the top four cooling fins cut off (to assist in getting correct engine temps), which I may reduce later after testing. The motor has been converted with a flywheel using the Novarossi conversion set, which involves cutting down the crankshaft, fitting a collet and flywheel, and a shaft thread adapter. It's a little disconcerting sticking a brand new engine through a bandsaw...

Much of the hardware was made by yours truly, but I'm using a flexi and strut from Prestwich. I will have to cut the strut down to match the JAE strut, because as it is it's far too heavy. Most of the hull is 1/16" birch, with 3/32" tub sides. Everything was constructed using Devcon 2 ton epoxy, and the tub was built in a jig. The sponson cores are from light foam, with the ply epoxied directly to it. The turn fin is mounted through dowel gorilla glued into the sponson. The whole thing is coated inside and out with West System epoxy, and has been painted using Halford's enamel sprays. The carbon engine shroud was laminated using a single layer of plain weave carbon with a single layer of biderectional cloth, in epoxy. See pictures for mould plug.

Servos used are Savox, SH-0257MG on throttle and SW-0250MG for steering. Running a LiFe rx pack with FrSky rx, with telemetry.

Only things left to do now are mounting the switch, aerials and covering the radio box

Took it to Wicksteed over the weekend, think it passed Phil's scrutiny!

1" border="0

2" border="0

3" border="0

4" border="0

5" border="0

6" border="0

7" border="0

8" border="0

9" border="0

10" border="0

11" border="0

12" border="0

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: New Build JAE 12G
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 08:04:59 am »

Absolutely lovely work there Andy well done ,how does she run ? did you ever consider buying one of Joes kits theyre pretty inexpensive and shipping isnt bad . Anyway good job but id have gone electric lol .Mart

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 11:25:50 am »

Thanks Mart,
It started to run well, but unfortunately it's taken a trip into a bouy and has snapped the left side boom tubes, so currently in dry dock for repairs.

I didn't go for the kit as I have plans and a machine shop at my disposal  ;)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 03:18:23 pm »

I have some gas rigger plans somewhere i never got round to building  , just never seem to have the time to build my own boats as too busy building hulls for customers  %) .

Tombsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 05:10:02 pm »

They are fun little boats and really fast, mines from a Zippkits kit.
Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 6.296 seconds with 21 queries.