Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Wood Care:

Cutting planks on table saw tip.

<< < (2/3) > >>

grendel:

--- Quote from: tigertiger on June 03, 2018, 09:50:24 am ---You are right Grendel, but if you already own a regular table saw or contractor saw, a zero clearance insert is cheaper than buying a new power tool ;) 
It is also super easy to cut planks using a zero clearance insert. Now I have made the insert, it will live in the saw, unless I need to angle the blade.

--- End quote ---
True, I just used to run a thin piece of plywood half way onto the blade then clamp it to the bed both sides, then run my planks through.

tigertiger:

--- Quote from: grendel on June 03, 2018, 02:22:08 pm ---True, I just used to run a thin piece of plywood half way onto the blade then clamp it to the bed both sides, then run my planks through.

--- End quote ---

That is a nice simple makeshift solution.  :-))

Peter Fitness:

--- Quote from: grendel on June 03, 2018, 02:22:08 pm ---True, I just used to run a thin piece of plywood half way onto the blade then clamp it to the bed both sides, then run my planks through.

--- End quote ---

Brilliant, why didn't I think of that :embarrassed:

Peter.

RAAArtyGunner:

I would only ever make the "insert" out of wood.

When using fine thin blades it is possible for  blades to get hot and for blades to 'wobble', the teeth will then hit the insert. With a metal insert the blades teeth are blunted whereas with the wood insert the gap/slot will be enlarged slightly with no damage to the blades teeth.

Jerry C:
For the next stage, if you have a planer/thicknesses and the table won’t rise high enough to get the required thickness, I planed and thickness a suitable pine plank, covered it in double sided sticky tape and stuck a load of planks on it and surfaced one side. Peel them off, turn them over and do other side to final thickness. This was for a clinker boat.
Jerry.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version