Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Airfix lifeboat kit - RNLI donation  (Read 4931 times)

moonlight

Airfix lifeboat kit - RNLI donation
« on: September 14, 2007, 11:21:24 am »

Not sure how many of you have been tempted by the Airfix Severn Class lifeboat which states that a donation is made to the RNLI with every purchase.

What you may not know is that if you buy direct from an RNLI shop - or through their web-site www.rnlishop.org  ALL profits go to the RNLI not just the 60p on the box.

Do the right thing and support the RNLI to the full!

Pete

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Airfix lifeboat kit - RNLI donation
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 12:06:14 pm »

Strangely enough I was looking at this very kit yeserday in a model shop and thinking about the fact that it was a bit of a shame that they couldn't donate a whole pound of the 17 quid purchase price and not just 60p!!

The guy running the shop agreed as well!!

Good point and well worth bringing up.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Bluebird v2

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 03:41:50 pm »

Do the right thing and support the RNLI to the full!

Totally agree with you Pete.    They need and deserve every penny they get through charities and whatnot - personally I think they belong to a class of special breed of people - these people have something that the majority of us dont have and this puts them in a class of their own.  They are willing to sacrifice their lives for others without a second thought and which they have done on many occasion.   How much does it cost to buy a life back - I havent seen a sum of money that will buy life back yet, has anyone else.

I think with regard the Airfix Model we have to look at a broader picture, if you recall when this model was first released Airfix company (Humbrol) was in dire strates and in need of every penny it could muster to survive, until Hornby took the company over.   Now that Hornby hold the reigns, we may see an even greater donation come from this Model who knows.

Ive heard through the grapevine that there was talk of reproducing and releasing another lifeboat model of a different class, depending on how well this model does.

Aye
John E
Bluebird

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 07:17:43 pm »

If you want to do more for the RNLI, donate every month. http://www.rnli.org.uk/how_to_support_us/individuals/individuals.
 I support 5 charities this way on top of the money boxes.

Marc
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 07:40:25 pm »

Or join the RNLI. I have Joint Offshore membership.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 08:01:28 pm »

By coincidence I was in the lifeboat station at Silloth only the other day where I found two wonderfull and very old ladies in the souvenier shop.  I ended up having a very enjoyable chat with them and it turned out that one of them knew Halifax very well.  I bought a pile of Christmas cards and put a few pounds in the pot outside as well but it made me think of why two lovely old ladies would give thier time so selflessly for such a cause.   Wonderfull people. 

I have also sailed with a few lifeboat men in my time and the stories they can tell can make your hair curl.  Unfortunately the vast majority of call outs are to assist daytrippers and tourists who have no appreciation of what they are getting themselves into when they venture on the water and are invariably risking the lives of the lifeboat men unecessarily.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 04:03:14 pm »

Cheers for that, am getting one as a gift for a friend.....rather have the RNLI get the 17 quid
robert

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 04:21:33 pm »

By coincidence I was in the lifeboat station at Silloth only the other day where I found two wonderfull and very old ladies in the souvenier shop.  I ended up having a very enjoyable chat with them and it turned out that one of them knew Halifax very well.  I bought a pile of Christmas cards and put a few pounds in the pot outside as well but it made me think of why two lovely old ladies would give thier time so selflessly for such a cause.   Wonderfull people. 

I have also sailed with a few lifeboat men in my time and the stories they can tell can make your hair curl.  Unfortunately the vast majority of call outs are to assist daytrippers and tourists who have no appreciation of what they are getting themselves into when they venture on the water and are invariably risking the lives of the lifeboat men unecessarily.

now there is a memory....silloth..... i remember going there as i child, i only remeber it being a god forsaken winswept place......

it must be better nowadays !
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

andygh

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 05:03:25 pm »

Does anyone happen to know the dimensions of the model? I can't find details anywhere.

Ta, Andy

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 05:18:23 pm »

Assuming this is the Airfix Severn Class  series 7 the dimensions are as follows:

Model Scale 1:72 Number of Parts 189 Dimensions (mm) L236mm x W78mm 

O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Tralee

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 07:12:45 pm »

Is this Airfix kit the same as the one that Maplins have for sale? :(

andygh

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 10:10:03 pm »

Thanks for that DickyD

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 10:12:16 pm »

Pleasure  O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2007, 06:41:00 pm »

Is this Airfix kit the same as the one that Maplins have for sale? :(
No.  The Airfix kit is 1/72, the RTR one is about 1/35.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.