Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amati Grand Banks Finished  (Read 2476 times)

me3

• Full Mayhemer
Amati Grand Banks Finished
« on: June 18, 2019, 07:53:44 pm »

Hi all,

Finally finished the Grand Banks after my accident, incase you don't know I had quite a serious accident whilst building this, so restarting it was a big thing for me!

Now to the boat, it isn't Rc due to the weight of it, I made no attempt to lighten it throughout the build so probably won't be converted but it does have proper rc shafts and rudders in it.

It was a lovely kit to build, something a bit different! Unfortunately the clinker simulation on the side doesn't picture very well - it looks a lot better in real life.

Rather than write paragraph after paragraph I'd encourage any questions and I will happily answer them!

Cheers

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
Re: Amati Grand Banks Finished
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 07:56:49 pm »

Looks fantastic! Stan will be interested for sure.
I'm tempted myself and the electrics kit is less than £150
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

me3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 08:40:21 pm »

Thanks for the kind words! Yes the electric kit is cheap although the boat needs modifying to make rc really, it is just too heavy, lots of solid resin parts, 6mm mdf frame and most the furniture inside is thick ply lined with the darker wood. Then the decks are fibreglass (which is gel-coated inside!!) ply over the top and then the 'teak' deck over that! It certainly is a bruiser but a lovely bit of kit!

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 11:34:36 pm »

That's a beautiful model. Are you sure it's too heavy for RC? I scratch built one of these some years ago, it's about 75 cm long, and I'm using a 12 Ah SLA battery for a power source which is quite heavy but perfect ballast to bring it down to the waterline. Do you know how much the completed model weighs?

Peter.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 03:09:04 am »

She certainly looks a superb model.......my only concern is the abbreviation description MDF frame

Certain grades of MDF will absorb water like a sponge and expand <*< cracking anything and everything associated near the swelling in the hull frame

Tongue Oil will seal the wooden material prior to either painting of a light coat of fiber glass resin

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

me3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 07:17:21 am »

Hi Peter, thanks! When I say to heavy, it would of course float but not to the correct waterline! Someone converted one in model boats and the waterline was half way up the side of the hull! The freeboard was very low! I will weigh it when I get home tonight. Derek, agreed not the best choice of material! made for a strong structure though! {-)

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 08:50:19 am »

That's an absolutely gorgeous model, I'll bet you're very proud of it.

me3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 04:25:49 pm »

Yes I am quite proud of it! It was a big thing for me to finish it as I badly injured myself whilst making it, seems like quite an achievement for me! It weighs 3.8kg, which doesn't sound that heavy but I will see what you guys think. It's 800mm long

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 05:00:12 pm »

HI Me3 sent you pm. I have just been given this kit by the boss for the big 70. A lot of the resin fittings will have be routed out or made from plastic card to reduce weight. Lots of the ply structures will be replaced using light ply and the m d f parts will be scrapped to reduce weight. Before I can even think about starting this model I must finish my lobster boat repair  and the 1/200 Yamato. But when I do start the build will post pictures. If you are thinking about buying one of these kits be prepared for a shock they do not come cheap

Stan.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 05:13:32 pm »

Cheaper than a number of average Billings boats like Smit Nederland and Rotterdam. Good value I'd say.
£366 at CMB despite RRP
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2019, 01:32:50 am »

My model was built from free plans published in MMI magazine some years ago, drawn by Jim Pottinger which I had enlarged. I built it as a plank on frame hull with ply superstructure, and its all up weight is similar to yours. It has 2 motors running off a single ESC and it's extremely manoeuvrable. I think this is due to the fact that the twin rudders are directly behind the props. It remains my favourite model to sail, as it looks good on the water, and can cope with quite choppy conditions.

My original build log can be found here https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15582.0.html

Peter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.