Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Equipage Riviera 80  (Read 2242 times)

Goldenstar38

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Equipage Riviera 80
« on: June 07, 2018, 03:05:58 am »

Hello.
I previously posted in the Painting, finish and care section, but still need help!I did a 6,000 day search last night and only 1 hit on this old boat.I bought this new, in an unopened package at a great price that I could not pass on. Upon unwrapping, I was not happy with what I saw. The boat had a 5 inch long split between 2 deck seams, not terribly wide, and the interior is unsealed. All other planks are clean and very tight. The hull paint, from the bootstripe down is great.So, I have sanded most of the finish off and I do not know what it was, but it seemingly was to seal the exterior and add a mahogany color to the wood. I plan to use a 0.5 OZ cloth and epoxy the deck and hull side along with sealing the interior with epoxy. I have kept the dust to use to seal the crack and match the deck planking color.
My main question is this: Can I sand down to the waterline, tape over the paint and glass the hull sides down to the waterline and then repaint and seal the white hull paint?I appreciate any input you can provide.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Equipage Riviera 80
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 12:50:03 pm »

My preference would be to completely sand down the hull including the white paint and completely glass it. This would be easier to sand down and finish, painting the white underside after  sanding smooth. Taping off the white paint and trying to glass down to the line is likely to give you a lot of problems in finishing at the edge between the glass and the paint. At the least it will leave a raised edge as the glass will be thicker than the paint. You would also run the risk of cutting into the white paint edge when sanding down the hull to prepare for glassing.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Goldenstar38

• Shipmate
Re: Equipage Riviera 80
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 05:42:58 pm »

Thank you JimGThat factory applied white paint is tough! Certainly better than the actual deck and hull side finish. I tried sanding a very small area and it will be a LOT of work, but I believe you may be right.I did find a post from 2006 that also discussed some hull modifications to keep the bow down and keep the boat from porpoising. Guess it will be a good time to try that mod when the paint is gone.Have any other tips on this particular boat? Not much out there anymore.Again, Thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.