Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mightily Impressed!  (Read 1918 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Mightily Impressed!
« on: June 07, 2018, 10:02:14 am »

Words can't describe it but I'll give it a go....

I was out in the garden making some adjustments to the electric gate on our drive when I heard jets approaching. About 200 feet above the mountain top opposite 2 F14's with Spanish markings banked around to fly down the valley back toward the coast. As I watched both planes swept back their wings and went to full afterburn - the noise was incredible and the rate at which they disappeared was astounding.

My wife came out and informed me there is an airshow this weekend near Alicante. Now how on earth did she know that and yet I have seen or read nothing about it at all.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Mightily Impressed!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 10:28:19 am »

.... where's the photos then ?!?!?!?   ok2
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 10:36:09 am »

Hi Brian, it's at San Javier airport, on the Mar Menor,Saturday and Sunday, unless there is another in Alicante I've not heard about.
 Guess who is booked into a hotel with a big balcony in just the right spot.😁 I'm  looking forward to it.
Chas

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 10:37:11 am »

So am I. I don't think that the Spanish Air force has, or had, any F14's - the Top Gun Plane. The F14 was really a dedicated carrier plane & I only know of the US flying them.

The Spanish do fly F18's

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 10:51:14 am »

So am I. I don't think that the Spanish Air force has, or had, any F14's - the Top Gun Plane. The F14 was really a dedicated carrier plane & I only know of the US flying them.

The Spanish do fly F18's

The only countries flying F14s are the US and Iran although it's doubtful that any of Iran's Tomcats are operational due to the lack of spares availability.  Spain operates F 18  Growlers but these are not swing wing aeroplanes so I'm not sure what Brian may have seen.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 11:38:20 am »

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 12:01:09 pm »

I think that if my missus knew about a local air show I would be impressed too  :o
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 12:03:09 pm »

Well done Chas!.

I said F14's cos thats the only fighter aircraft I know that has swept wings :}  Is there any more? I'm not any good with aircraft in general and military stuff in particular.

San Javier is really a military airport but has been used for commercial purposes for years. It will all change shortly, the COrvera airport which was finished in 2007 is due to open for air traffic this summer, so San Javier will return to purley military use. At the moment certain times of the day only airforce flights are allowed in and out which restricts its use for commercial stuff.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 12:13:37 pm »

My references say that Spain is only operating 2 fighter types at the moment F/A 18 Growler and Eurofighter Typhoon.  Only the F/A 18 has twin fins.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 12:31:55 pm »

My references say that Spain is only operating 2 fighter types at the moment F/A 18 Growler and Eurofighter Typhoon.  Only the F/A 18 has twin fins.

This is an airshow so visiting non Spanish aircraft likely.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 12:57:30 pm »

Well done Chas!.

I said F14's cos thats the only fighter aircraft I know that has swept wings :}  Is there any more? I'm not any good with aircraft in general and military stuff in particular...…………………………...

Brian,
Virtually all supersonic, and many subsonic planes have swept wings.

It is not the swept wing that has us mystified but rather that you watched the wings sweep back. There have been very few production NATO variable sweep winged aircraft. They are expensive to build, heavy & obviously introduce all sorts of complications so you need a very good reason to use them.

Off the top of my head F111, F14, B1B, Tornado & of course Thunderbird 1( ok2 ).

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 01:30:52 pm »

There's only one of the last one though! :)
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 02:12:19 pm »

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 02:18:58 pm »

They are listing the F 18 s in the static display, I bet Brian saw them on the way there, lucky chap. I'm looking forward to the Osprey, I've never seen one. I might park at the end of the runway on Monday morning to watch the static aircraft leave.
Chas

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.