Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dinky toys  (Read 3415 times)

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Dinky toys
« on: June 09, 2018, 10:10:54 am »

Hi it's John V i used to collect dinky toys .And metal detecting but don't have the time .So will have to have a clear out cheers John V

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Dinky toys
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 11:35:54 am »

I have all or most of my Dinky Toys, Matchbox and Corgi toys together with my 2-8-0 heavy fright Hornby. They are all out on show and I will not be get rid of them either, to do so would be an insult to my Father who had to work long hours to be able to pay for them each Christmas and birthday.

LB

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 01:53:27 pm »

Hi well done for you to keep for so long .I am almost 73 so it's time for me to have a clear out cheers John V

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 08:43:52 pm »

My Dinkys and Spot-On got wrecked in the school play ground doing head on collisions to see whose cars would last the longest. I had a Spot-On Rover 3.5 that lasted well!

I do have a few Corgis from when I was older that are in very good condition.
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 02:45:49 am »

I have no recollection of Spot On models, as they went out of production when I was getting into toy cars. I did a quick google search and they have an interesting history. Spot On was a sub brand of Tri-ang, and Lines Tri-ang's owners bought Meccano with its Dinky brand, and as they did not want to run two competing brands, they concentrated on Dinky (bigger seller/cheaper) and dropped Spot On.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 12:17:20 pm »

Dad gave me fifty pence each week and I would buy a Matchbox model. His ethos was that toys were for playing with, which is a fair point given that if we all kept our toys pristine, they would not be worth much because the market would be awash with them. The enjoyment collectors today get from finding a pristine model, or that people who did keep theirs for show would get from seeing them displayed might  not be as great.
Pond weed is your enemy

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 09:53:31 pm »

I still have a lot of the meccano my Dad got for me back in the early 60's, although be fair a lot of it kept disappearing (cogs etc) for his steam plants....I have now given it to my 5 year old granddaughter and with the help of jolly old flea bay bought her more.....oh and some of hers keeps disappearing......well I am working out the new steam plant.......best toy / educational material / engine bed material in the world  :-))
Steamed up all the time

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 02:31:39 am »

My favourite toy, that I actually bought myself, was a Mamod Traction Engine. :}  Glad to still that Mamod is still going, but shocked by the price 178 quid.

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 03:46:20 pm »

Hi still got my old mamod steam lorry .Needs a re vamp but still works

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 01:44:05 pm »

My favourite toy, that I actually bought myself, was a Mamod Traction Engine. :}  Glad to still that Mamod is still going, but shocked by the price 178 quid.

My brother had the traction engine and I had the stationary engine which I still have. Not run for years though.
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 04:58:22 pm »

Hi when you get min give it a run bring back your youth cheers John V

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 02:36:53 am »

I saw a vid a on Youtube, where a guy successfully fired up his Mamod engine after 25 years.

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 11:18:22 am »

Hi I better get cracking then because my health I won't be around in 25 years cheers John V

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2018, 04:56:49 pm »

I have loads and I mean, loads, of dinky, corgi and matchbox cars bought for me between 1959 and about 1968.
 Most of them are what's called 'play worn' to varing degrees but Ive a number that are mint in box never 'played' with. When I was about 14 I started to 'collect' them so they stayed in their boxes. Ive probably a good 25 - 30 boxed and mint Dinky Atlanteans, AEC Routemasters and Merlins plus about 5 Corgi Routemasters plus another 12 EFI boxed buses. There's probably another 20 boxed mint Matchbox 'Models of Yesteryear.' I bought a couple of Corgi SuperToys wagons about 10 years ago for just under 100 quid each.

Ive also got a lot of bus memoribilia including a full album of B&W photos of main Ribble buses, fleet lists and flyers, badges etc.
My old Hornby Dublo is stored in the loft. I really need to consider shifting some of this stuff because my adult children do not want them.

Trouble is, you can get ripped off on EBay so am probably going to start thinning some of the more play worn stuff on there (which magically re appears as mint originals!) and maybe take the best to the nearest, dedicated 'Toy Auctioneer' which is nearly 100 mile away.
Ive a couple of RC boats, helis, a foamy Piper Cub and ASW17!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.