Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Atlantic 75 Build  (Read 8934 times)

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
Atlantic 75 Build
« on: September 14, 2007, 10:32:37 pm »

Well its all come together. got the outboards to work, sort of, need a bit of refining. Been to Rye and got some photos, till camera packed in, and got the right sized tubing from Frank.
So plann one was, complicated and dumb. basically it was to drill 54mm holes in a peice of wood, one at each end of the tube, these were drilled so ther tube sat at the correct angle. then for each end a jig was made, again at the correct angle, and this was used to run a hack saw down. repeated at the other end. bit of a disaster. Pic 1. three days work blown.
so, back to the thinking board at plan two was hatched. side elevations were cut out of soft wood and the top added. these were glued into a box . the tube pushed into the box, then a razor saw run down the ends. one perfect tube with some realy grotty angles. photo 2. well thats 2 pair done, only another 5 pair too go. will my patience hold out?
colin
grumpy old XXX

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Atlantic 75 Build
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 08:11:08 pm »

been busy, all the tubes are now cut, and glued and the end cones spun up. chuffed. though i wont see the reality till i lift her of the board. the keel is cut and now trying to decide on the angles of the hull. not a lot of depth there, 45mm. still only got to hold battries and servo ect.
grumpy old XXX

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 08:15:09 pm »

Looks like its coming along nicely, wont be long before you get her in the wet stuff.

Jay O0
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 10:33:54 pm »

wot, and risk geting water in to all that hard work.  MMMMM????, oh yer, thats wot its meant to do.
hull frames coming along nicely, more pics tomorow
grumpy old XXX

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 06:33:31 pm »

moved on a bit. the hull has had two coats of resin, one thined down with meths, tto help it soak in. quick rub down and tried it out tin the bath, make sure it floats because the tubes make it somewhat heavy. quite worried. well the bath trials werent too bad. but i have very little weight to play with. in fact hardly anything.
grumpy old XXX

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 07:09:15 pm »

I hope the "BT Duct" label is going to be covered, it might mean the end of my pension if the Duct police find out. ;D ;D
Frank

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 07:51:17 pm »

Excellent job there. It's really starting to look the business. Are the tubes hollow, or have you filled them with foam or similar ? Really nice though, keep the photo's coming. Dan.

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 08:03:46 pm »

considering frankies reply, better not tell you where they came from, or what they are! ;D
suffice to say the monopoly company will be rubbed out and painted over, honest guv. dont know wether to thank him or create a voodoo doll and stick pins in it. ::) without him i would not be doing this dumbarsed project :'(
grumpy old XXX

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 08:22:42 pm »

the more i handle this thing the more sure i am that it is too heavy. all the weights in the tubes, and there is no way to may them any lighter. so i reckopn that i am going to delving on to the world of moulding. thinking of a plaster mould, then fibre glass/resin.
although its a simple shape(round- and A-shaped) there is not a "horizontal" centre line. it constantly kicks up. still, wouldnt be fun if it werent thrown across the room every now and again. and i am learning new ways of speaking anglo saxon.
been messing with the outboards, now waiting for props too turn up from prop shop, 7 days so far, and then i can see if i have enough goooooo.
grumpy old XXX

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 08:23:23 pm »

the props turned up and have now put enough of the engine together to give it a try. MMMM, plenty of go, i reckon, down side is when i gave it a rest to answer the phone, tried again and motor doesnt work. it "hunts". oh well, back to shop see if he can cast any light on what the hell i have done. stupid hobby.
also making box to hold the plug tomorrow. maybe pour in plaster sunday. best laid plans of mice and men and all that.
cross youre collective fingers for me.
colin
grumpy old XXX

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2007, 08:29:16 am »

any one want to by lengths of tubing glued together in a weird shape?
poured the plaster in to the mould thursday. totall disaster. started by following the instuctions, mixing 3:1. wouldnt pour in well enough, and set quite quick. so in panic i drilled more holes down the divider and poured in a much thinnner mix of plaster. still hasnt gone off. took the divider off this morning. really bad. has formed in to pockets and no where filled the mould box. thats 2 kilo.
time to rethink. going back to resin mould. not a happy bunny.
really hacked off. Oh why do i do this to myself. going to take up knitting.
phoned prop shop earlier in the week to ask more about the props he sent my and his thoughts on why the brushless set up give up under load. his answer was juust about what i thought. holding the motor still probably whacked the running load right up, hence the heat and now not working. WILL PUT A FUSE IN THE CIRCUIT NEXT TIME. he is going to send me the smallest two blade he does and i will try it out in the pond next time. so, waiting on posty to go back to work, get the hull sorted, tubes sorted and then try it out.
colin
grumpy old XXX

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2007, 11:59:35 am »

Hi Colin,
About how heavy is she so far?
Martin.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2007, 12:58:12 pm »

Just A thought, If you 'turned' some 'Bars' out of expanded or bluefoam and
     covered them with Resin/nylon after mitering? Light and strong.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2007, 04:11:47 pm »

Martin, in answer, too heavy. without anything in it it floats just about at the water line.
ues i had thougth about foam+resin. also disks wraped in thin ply. for reason that i dont know blew them out.
Any way i have now cleaned up the plug ang glued 5mm baton so the top edge is along the centre line.painted them in ronseal.
once its all dried i wil glue a barrier to the baton and then use matt and resin to make the mould. should have done this first off.
Hope this works. cost me a fortune so far. meant to be a cheapish build.
colin
grumpy old XXX

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2007, 06:52:42 pm »

despite killer hang over, spent afternoon in garden with glass matt and resin. Use dquite a bit of the resin, as fast as it was going on it was gelling, making doing the layup a bit tricky. still it worked. 2 hours later totally hard. nervously i started to take of the batoning that was marking the centre line and giving me an edge for the second half. they came of a treat, the resin hadnt stuck to them. good sign. so next thing is to drill a hole in the mould and then pump in some air, hopefully that will help it to release.
one rather poor photo below
grumpy old XXX

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 08:25:35 pm »

Well, the plug popped off, not with air, my little compressor just cried, but with carefull levering with a scew driver. Well chuffed.
not bad. Bit of repair work to do, thick superglue and job a gooden.
hoping for some more fine weather the weekend to do other half.
I had not waxed or used pva. couldnt work out why. now i think i know. the filler primer spray i had used lifted and transfered to the mould. it came of with a gentle scrape with a bit of wood. The other half has more filler on the plug so not sure what to do. Thinking of painting it with some resin to seal the filler. Any advice any one?
colin

grumpy old XXX

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2007, 05:45:23 pm »

after a very long friday night laying up i popped out the final tubes yesterday. not bad for a first attempt at moulding.
its been a long hawl and more than a bin bag full of crap. can get on with some proper work now.

grumpy old XXX

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2007, 07:14:14 pm »

You'll be taking orders soon  O0

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2007, 07:22:56 pm »

Mmmmm, it took nearly 7 hours to do that one. and it was hard work.

colin
grumpy old XXX

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2007, 07:24:39 pm »

It will be like shelling peas soon............. 8) 8)

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2007, 07:27:19 pm »

hate peas with a vengeance. poo of the devill.
grumpy old XXX

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2007, 02:19:00 pm »

Looks very good. How much does the bare tube weigh?

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2007, 07:15:21 pm »

so light i can not weight it, wheras the original plastic tubes and joints weighed a ton( i never exagerate).
grumpy old XXX

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2007, 04:53:49 pm »

Gve the tubes a quick coat of primer the other day. my lovely tubes were crap. beacause i hadnt used a gell coat the cloth had broken through to the surface. still felt as smooth as a babies backside, but there were thousands of tiny pin pricks spoiling it. enderd up giving it another coat of resin to fill them. alot of very light rubbing down to smooth out the tubes. soted now.
spent yesterday putting on some detail, it's starting to look the part now.
grumpy old XXX

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2007, 12:57:38 pm »

Despite all the flack'n'hassle and the gnashing of hair and the wrending of teeth, they don't half look good colin!

Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 23 queries.