Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: engine for Totnes Castle  (Read 2461 times)

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
engine for Totnes Castle
« on: June 14, 2018, 09:45:36 am »

I have posted the build Totnes Castle in working vessels. For steam buffs the boiler here as my 7th.  Now the engine, a twin oscillator double acting, bore & stroke 10mm.
The cylinders & end caps drilled & turned off centre. I just pack one jaw of the chuck 1/8ins. Next job mill off the port face to increase the width,  (black mark & arrow.) I will be reducing as much thickness of metal as possible. to reduce start up condensation.
I have included the fag packet sketch it may end up like it.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: engine for Totnes Castle
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 03:47:03 pm »

Laid out as original plan. But original Standard sadly distorted when silver soldering together I got it to hot. A change of plan I now intend have two output gears one at 3to1 the other at 5to1. Three to one is my normal preference. But the 12 floats (paddles) are very close together so will start with 5to1. If this is slow can use 3to1 without much trouble.
I have remade the standard,  Second attempt soldered the bar then machined it after, this stopped any distortion. Stainless pivot bar fitted, will cut out inner section later. Large hole for removable crank bearing.  Just the exit holes to the ports to drill when the crank it finished & blank off the 4 ports at entry end.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 03:51:27 pm »

A little more done on the engine. Steam ports & pivot holes drilled in cylinders. Oil light bronze bearing ready to fixed. Piston rods ready I will be silver soldering piston blanks in place. Then with the rod in chuck turn the blanks to fit. Chrome crank shaft, pin & web in the picture ready for cutting. The strip of ali with four holes will mark the steam ports in the frame. when the crank is fitted. The small gears fit between the bearing & crank web. As I said before this will give the chance to change ratios if the low is to low. 

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 05:23:34 pm »

latest on progress. Full report above, in working vessels. Totnes Castle. 

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 09:52:38 pm »

The regulator - reverser started.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 22 queries.