Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Sealight puffer build  (Read 21203 times)

birlinn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old git in a garage
Another Sealight puffer build
« on: June 14, 2018, 01:42:41 pm »

Hi;
New to the site, and just started a Mountfleet Sealight kit. My previous build was a scratch built 1:24 scale centreboard R/C schooner, which did get a bit of cover on a certain other, US based, forum.
The first thing I have changed is the lower rudder pivot- such a thin shaft of white metal will not last five minutes. I filed a slot in the rudder leading edge, and soldered in a brass pin. After filing a new slot in the skeg, the pivot now lines up with the rudder shaft and the pintles. Deck next, and I notice no camber, which doesn't seem right. I propose steaming a bit in to the ply, and altering the hatch surround etc. to suit.
Can someone point me to the way to post photos, please?
Phil

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Another Sealight puffer build
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 03:19:01 pm »

Very few kit models have camber it just adds unnecessary  complication to the build for most people I think. To be honest I doubt if most people would notice anyway it only really concerns us purist's in reality.
I find the best way to add a camber is to cut a set of beams with the camber built in. You should also note that the model  has more beam relative to the original vessel, this was done by Frank Hinchcliffe to avoid copyright problems.
Nevertheless the model sails very well as it is even in "heavy weather"

LB

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 04:37:52 pm »

nice to see a Puffer down to its mark, instead of on the waterline with a full cargo of coal showing, nemesis

birlinn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old git in a garage
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 04:53:39 pm »

Hope mine looks as good and sails as well.

Who made off with the ship's boat?

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 05:13:13 pm »

the mate has gone for the Beer, nemesis

birlinn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old git in a garage
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 05:56:35 pm »

whiskey, surely?

birlinn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old git in a garage
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 05:58:27 pm »

Ruddy spellcheck. and apparently no way of correcting!
WHISKY!

birlinn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old git in a garage
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 06:27:38 pm »

Back to the build.
Got the deck support strips glued on, and did some measuring.
The hull measures 190 mm internally; the drawing scales about 193, and the printed ply sheet shows 195 mm.
(There do not seem to be pre-cut ply sheets as noted in earlier logs.)
At least it is easier to reduce the width of something, rather than try and add bits!

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 07:17:15 pm »

Hope mine looks as good and sails as well.

Who made off with the ship's boat?

The missing boat, therein lies a tail.

Basically, it went missing at Colwyn Bay when some blind, 'ol flatulence producer, rammed her when I was taking shelter from aforesaid 'ol flatulence producer not once but trice! And it went over the side never to be seen again; a lot of other damage was done to her as well.

LB

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 08:57:09 pm »

Back to the build.
Got the deck support strips glued on, and did some measuring.
The hull measures 190 mm internally; the drawing scales about 193, and the printed ply sheet shows 195 mm.
(There do not seem to be pre-cut ply sheets as noted in earlier logs.)
At least it is easier to reduce the width of something, rather than try and add bits!

don't take any notice of measurements taken from the sheets......he always used to print on his plans in bold capitals DO NOT SCALE...………best to build where it fits and where it doesn't, make it fit.....frank wasn't a man to bandy words and lived in a world of his own, bless him and didn't give a fig about people complaining.in his own words he would say if they can't build it, don't buy it...….plenty who can, will...……….and he was right.
and all those kits that originated with frank haven't I don't think, changed, only the new strain have. I knew him as a friend from the first kit review I did for him, and before...…..and he wasn't a man who would have relished the modern kit basher...…….he'd have been on to his lawyers at the first hint, lol......never to be equalled, he did for modellers and kits what Harrison did for timekeeping...….he brought the sundial into the modern world as we know it, {-) {-) {-) %% %%

neil

birlinn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old git in a garage
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 09:40:36 am »

Thanks, guys.
I'd like to have known Frank!
Now can anyone tell me how to post photos, please?

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 01:34:48 pm »

Now can anyone tell me how to post photos, please?

Click on "Attachments and other options" below the reply field. You may then attach the photos from your machine, provided they're <=300kB.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

birlinn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old git in a garage
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 04:17:03 pm »

Thanks.
Phil

birlinn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old git in a garage
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 06:21:45 pm »

Fun ahead!
I have just noticed an apparent twist in the hull- see (hopefully) enclosed pic.

On closer examination, it appears that the bulwarks are not the same height either side of the stern- good job I haven't fixed the quarter deck supports. However, the rudder and skeg were lined up with the top of the stern before I noticed the problem, so will appear at an angle if I file down the port bulwarks. I don't think I can alter the skeg, bit I might try ungluing the rudder post to move that over a tad. I could also file the lower pivot slot a bit, and move that over slightly. Looks obvious now from the photo, but I hadn't noticed.
PS: deck not glued down yet- there is a bit of camber to the cross beams.
Hey Ho!

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 07:13:02 pm »

From memory, the bottom of the stern post/prop aperture casting should form a continuation of the keel and can be lined up using a steel rule in both planes. It is also wise to make the aperture under the counter a little larger than required, so that you have some "wiggle" room and tack into position with super glue before finally securing with car body filler, this applies to the prop shaft as well.

As for the height of the bulwarks. The deck level is equal to the height of the top of the plating on to which the rubbing strake is secured.  That being the case have you measured the distance between the top of the plate and the top of the bulwark on each side? If there is a variance then rub the bulwark down a bit. However, if the distance is the same on both sides then I would suspect there is a problem in the molding. However, don't forget that this kit is the best part of 25 years old now, and the plug might have twisted a little after this time. Don't forget what Neil has said about Frank expecting  us to make things fit correctly either.

I hope that I'm not teaching you to suck eggs here, if so then I apologise.

As an aside, Frank Hinchcliffe passed away nearly twelve years ago, I still miss him and the enormous Sunday lunches.

LB

birlinn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old git in a garage
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2018, 07:52:19 pm »

It is the height of the bulwarks- the port side is nearly 3mm higher than the starboard.
I can't remove the skeg, however the rudder is now off and I am about to try surgery....

birlinn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old git in a garage
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2018, 08:23:35 pm »

Sorted!
Didn't take long. I unglued the brass tube by heating with a soldering iron; filed the bottom pivot slot to move that end over about 1mm. The top pivot was then filed out, and the brass tube moved over a bit and superglued back in using thick cyano. If you chuck a bit of baking soda on it, it acts as a kicker and you can get quite thick joints.
Just got to get a tiny bit of filler on now to finish tidying up, plus filing the bulwarks down.
From now on, I will not assume anything is correct until checking!

birlinn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old git in a garage
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 08:59:31 pm »

PS: have done a wee  bit of this sort of thing- here's a pic of the last effort, if you are interested. Scratch build plank on frame 1:24 scale model of Mary J Stubbs, an American fishing schooner from 1882. 2 channel R/C; all blocks and tackle work like full size, and there's even a scale working compass to the rear of the cabin. The centreboard is brass, lead filled, and drops down to 90 degrees, although it can be lowered to a scale 30 degrees. The rudder has a telescopic inner section, to be extended for sailing. I got a bit carried away at times. 

birlinn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old git in a garage
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2018, 05:34:03 pm »

Having been distracted with an art workshop over the weekend, I am now back happily hacking away.
I have printed off every photo of Sealight I could find, and have concluded:
The windows to the bridge are far smaller in number and size on the kit plans and printed ply sheets. The real ship had much more glazing.
The kit has no camber to the decks or superstructure, which the original had.
The brackets for the nav. lights are wrong.
The photos in the instructions seem to be more colourful than the real thing- artistic licence?
I will go by the photos of the real thing.
Can anyone tell me what the thing is near the top of the mast? There are four lines going to some object, looking a bit like a bucket, which can be hauled up to a bracket near the top of the mast, and possibly tipped. Far too small, and too flimsy a bracket, to carry much load.

Phil

birlinn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old git in a garage
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2018, 07:51:30 pm »

A bit of progress-main deck now glued on, but I won't glue the quarter deck until I have installed the motor, servo, etc
I have incorporated a wee bit of camber in the decks; can't do too much or the superstructure will not fit. I think I will be making the bulwark stringer just above the deck from thin aluminium, so I can prod some 'rivets' in; I will glue to thin ply to get the thickness correct.
Next job is cutting the holes for the working wash ports in the bulwarks.
Re previous post- the object on the front of the mast in the photos, I have realised, is the mast-head light. It's size had me puzzled until I looked at the plan. Doh!
Still looking for a decent 6v smoke generator- does anyone do one?

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2018, 08:43:55 pm »

How about this one?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

birlinn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old git in a garage
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2018, 09:03:18 pm »

Many thanks.
Looks good, but a bit pricey, and I would prefer buying one from the UK if possible,

birlinn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old git in a garage
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2018, 09:49:19 am »

Been having a look at the wash port covers and other white metal bits in the kit.
I don't like the working wash ports provided, but I do want working ones. I plan to make small brass hinges to allow the fixed ones to work.
Other bits I will replace are the shroud bottle screws and their fixing straps- far too flimsy. I have some working brass bottle screws left over from scratch building, so that one is easy. I also have some working blocks which will replace the white metal ones.
The bridge will be totally altered, with the correct glazing, and planking, rather than scribed ply.
Now to put theory in to practice.....

birlinn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old git in a garage
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2018, 10:42:07 am »

Bulwark strip with rivets, ready to be glued to thin ply. The pic is quite a bit bigger than the strip.

big_bri

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2018, 11:58:46 am »

Many thanks.
Looks good, but a bit pricey, and I would prefer buying one from the UK if possible,

You could buy one of the readily available ones in the UK and get a 6v converter to take it up to the required voltage.
 :-))

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Brian
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.