Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Graupner Optimist....help!  (Read 4182 times)

chris1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Graupner Optimist....help!
« on: June 15, 2018, 11:20:43 pm »

I've jusg been given a very old, unbuilt kit of a Graupner Optimist, which I believe is complete but have not yet had time to check.  Yes, I know, I'm a luck so-and-so, and no, sorry, it is most definitely NOT for sale.  The kit has spent a number of years is a damp cupboard in a very damp garage to the extent that the box itself has practically fallen apart, and a lot of the wooden parts, including that lovely printed deck, is stained with black mold.  Do you kind folk have any suggestions on how to clean this and kill the mold?  Thank you.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Graupner Optimist....help!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 02:32:37 am »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 05:42:09 am »

Hello Chris welcome to the forum!  I restored a Graupner Gracia yacht a few years ago.  The printed deck had faded and was a bit stained.  A weak solution of bleach will remove black mould BUT the stain is difficult to remove and the printing will come off at the same time, so just clean it up.
Then use the printed deck as a pattern and plank over it, this looks looks very much better than the printed deck and becomes a feature of the boat.  I do recommend planking the deck, using a different wood for the central King plank down the centre and joggling in the planking. 
Also there should be a 1/16th. or 1 mm square ridge of wood (dark against light planking) all around the deck about 3mm inboard.  This is full size practice so that anything dropped on the deck does not immediately slide off the deck into the water.  But it looks nice as well.
Good luck, Roy

chris1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 09:21:58 am »

Sounds like a good idea Roy.  I will not start this any time soon, as I have about 3 projects going on and I must finish those before starting anything else!  But I do want to clean up the wood before storimg it, to prevent any further damage.  Do you know whether this model was meant to have an aluminium mast and boom?  If yes, then mine are missing.  At least the lead keel and fittings kit are present.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 09:43:04 am »

Hi Chris, my Gracia had a wooden mast, I do not know about the Optimist but my guess is wooden.  I hve a later sailing boat from Graupner and that was a wooden mast.
I usually have at least 2 models on the go at once.  As far as storing again a light sanding of the deck should be OK as a clean up. Is it
flat?  Might need to be kept on a flat surface clearly dry surroundings and a good time to check off all the fittings etc are all there.
My Gracia mast is tapered, my original mast was broken and I scarfed the joint, replaced the crosstrees and it has lasted well.
Doing it now of course you have lots of choice of sail servo arm or winch.Regards Roy

Roady

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 12:32:14 pm »

Hi all, long shot but I too have been given one of these lovely old boats that needs restoring, to that end does anyone, by any chance have the build instructions that I could see please, most specifically the way to step and rig the mast and sails? I would be most grateful, once done she will be used as a fundraising tool for the RNLI :) Thanks in advance. Alex.

rodders67

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 04:31:13 pm »

Hi Roady
I have recently refurbished an Optimist yacht and would be happy to share my experiences with you.  I have had mine for about 8 years and have had to upgrade a few things.  You can contact me on 02891872380.
Regards
Rodney
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.