Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New yacht suggestions please  (Read 2885 times)

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
New yacht suggestions please
« on: June 19, 2018, 12:27:28 pm »

I have had a Thunder Tiger Victoria which has given me many years of fun, but i feel the need to upgrade to something a bit bigger. However, my local lake is quite shallow in places, so anything with a long keel is out of the question. The Victoria's keel is approx 7", and the new boat can't have a keel much longer than this. I have searched online, and all the modern yachts i see have very long keels. Does anyone have a suggestion for a suitable boat?

Charlie

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
Re: New yacht suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 12:46:27 pm »

Hello Charlie,

Not sure of if this will meet your 7" keel but won't be far off

http://www.jclasshulls.co.uk/home/the-j-class-model

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 02:45:13 pm »

A Nottingham J draws about 8" so assuming your Victoria isn't already bumping along the bottom you should be OK.  It also has a steeply raked front to the keel and an integral rudder behind, so weed and other impediment slides off rather than getting snagged.  A little more building required than putting a Victoria together, but oh so worth it! A couple of build logs on here, so you can see what you might be letting yourself in for.

Happy sailing
Greg
(Oh, and a J is a bit pricier than a Victoria - but again, so worth it when you see that elegant hull sliding through the water  :} )

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 04:16:39 pm »

Similar to the J is the Metcalf Mouldings Moonbeam, if still available.
If you want to try something different, then the Soling 1m  or Ruby B (cutter rig 34")by Victor Models is another, but it will need to be shipped from the US.

https://www.victor-model.com/products/soling-1-meter
https://www.victor-model.com/products/ruby-b

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 11:14:06 am »

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I like the look of the J Class, but possibly too large for my needs. I see on the http://www.pjsails.co.uk/ website, they have a 36" Class, has anyone built one of these? I'm a bit of a novice in the yachting department, how easy are these to put together?

Charlie

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 11:23:54 am »

footy yacht or try mastman for one of his thames barges, spped;ine also do a thames barge
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 11:42:00 am »

... I see on the http://www.pjsails.co.uk/ website, they have a 36" Class, has anyone built one of these? ...

That is a nice looking kit, but it is only up to deck level. You will still need to design and source all of your rigging parts, then cut and assemble the parts. These may also be available from PJ Sails, but will add considerably to the cost. I would also check the draft, as that fin keel is not short.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 02:43:47 pm »

That is a nice looking kit, but it is only up to deck level. You will still need to design and source all of your rigging parts, then cut and assemble the parts. These may also be available from PJ Sails, but will add considerably to the cost. I would also check the draft, as that fin keel is not short.

That would be a problem, since i wouldn't know what parts are required, and where to fit them. I think the draft would be ok if it conforms to the 36"Class Spec:

B. PRIMARY MEASUREMENT RULE B.1 With the exception of B.2, B.3, B.4, the boat, in racing trim, shall be capable of fitting into an open topped rectangular measurement box of internal dimensions 940mm(37") long, 229mm(9") wide and 279mm(11”) deep
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.