Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixing of paint Manufacterers Products  (Read 1650 times)

Stavros

Mixing of paint Manufacterers Products
« on: September 15, 2007, 07:25:09 pm »

Right then why is it that all you modelers out there are risking a big chemical reaction on your pride and joys by using different manufacturers products.What I am getting at is quite simple lads and lasses why do it.we spend hours and hours building our boats and then run the risk of a BIG REACTION by using different manufacturers.different companies use different formulae in there aerosols and paint and different thinner ratios as well.The golden rule is if you start with eg Halfords well stick to it throughout the build.There have been quite a FEW INSTANCES recently of this happening sorry Tug Kenny I am going to use you as an example where different incompatible paints were used and what happened a BIG CHEMICAL REACTION enough said on this subject I think.I rest my case O0

Stavros

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Mixing of paint Manufacterers Products
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 08:11:51 pm »

OK, some thoughts from a slightly different angle.

Most boats separate out into two main painting areas, the hull and the upperworks.

For most commercial or naval vessels Halfords Red Oxide spray is a good match for the underwater part. The topsides of the hull are usually a fairly commopn colour such as black, white or grey. Many other colours can be found in the Halford's range which will often meet the bill. Then you frequently have a band of boot topping which might be white, black or some other primary colour such as green. A good way to deal with this is to use Trimline tape which comes in the main primary colours, has negligible thickness and is waterproof. After you've done all that you have the option of sealing the finish with varnish. If, as Stavros says, Halfords do a semi matt clear finish then that's probably the way to go. That way you will have no compatibility problems.

As far as the upperworks are concerned there is usually a wider variety of colours and in this case maybe Humbrol or Tamiya Acrylics are the way to go as long as you don't mix them. Again, no compatibility problems.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 01:30:04 am »

Here in China I don't have the luxury of a 'range of paints'. :'(
The auto retailers only sell HIfi, furry dice and polish. As cars here are worshipped by the new middle classes, every littl chip and scrape goes to the paint shop. But as labour here is so cheap....

So I get cheapo acrylic aerosol from B&Q, cheap acrylic (Angel) pots from the model shop, and plasticote from the hardware store.

I do however do a compatibility test on scrap. Ha :embarrassed:ving seen what happened to a certian boat on this forum :o, I will leave my test for 36 hrs now and not overnight as before.

I never though I would bemoan not having a halfords ::)
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 11:18:14 am »

Hi everyone

Just to confirm Stavros's write up, here is my photo of the disaster.

Believe me.... you don't want to get the mixing of differrent paints wrong on your  'Pride and joy'.  This cost me the re manufacture of a new roof for my boat.

Cheers for all the help from you guys. Where would we amateurs be without you.   O0

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 21 queries.