Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Slipway Dutch Courage  (Read 3085 times)

dash8man

• Full Mayhemer
Model Slipway Dutch Courage
« on: September 06, 2007, 09:26:14 pm »

Hi,

Anyone happen to snare a new Model Slipway Dutch Courage Tug kit from the first production batch? Looks real nice. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the kit. Cheers.

Bill.

kiteman1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
Re: Model Slipway Dutch Courage
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 07:57:55 pm »

Hi Dash8man

Yes, I've bought one of the new Slipway Dutch Courage kits.  I've had a good look through the plans and instructions and found them well laid out and easy to follow if care is taken.  I've struggled a little fitting the running gear but I'm taking that slowly at the moment.  The next step will be fitting the rudders as I've done things in a slightly different order, ie, korts then shafts and rudder posts last The s/structure cutouts aren't difficult if you are careful with the plans and instro's. I've found the white metal parts are fairly clean to start with and just need a good wire brushing generally.  The hull is pretty good and true and the styrene sheets are all clearly printed.

I'm quite impressed with quality so far and am looking forward to fitting motors and electronics before adding the decks and haven't found any problems with the instructions to date.

In fairness to Slipway, I haven't built anything for a while and I think this is a good subject to recut my teeth on.

Hope this helps..................

dash8man

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 05:10:17 pm »

Many thanks for the info. Are you using 6 or 12 volt motors in this tug? Just wondering which ones might be best. Cheers.

Bill.

kiteman1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 08:29:26 pm »

Hi Bill

I'm using the ones that Slipway supply as a motor fittings kit.  These are Torpedo 500 motors and are rated at 4.5---15volts so will handle 6 or 12 volt comfortably. They are geared down at 2.5 to 1.0. according to the label.  I'm using them at 6v as I already have a SLA and various other 6 volt units in my spares box which I'll use up on this model.  I am not using it for towing so I'll try and make it look pretty instead.

The power is not important to me for this model and the motors have offset shafts near to their bases.  The prop shaft is fairly tight to the bottom of the hull so the motors and shafts are a well matched combination.  I put the motors on to thin ply bases and the couplings were smack in line.Phew, that's lucky because it doesn't very often work out that way. Anyway, I'm saving my cache of Decaperms for a rainy day........................

I'm also going to try the supplied props before I buy Prop-shop, or similar, to see what happens.

Hope this helps a little. 
Best of luck.....................   O0 O0

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 08:53:00 pm »

Quick-info

MFA Torpedo 500 motors come with two different G/B ratios: 2.5:1 suits 6V whereas 6:1 suits 12V. Whatever works for you is "the best", but generally the higher voltage seems to give more power - but you'll get less running time.

Suit yourself. Either works for me, but my own D-C will have 7.2v systems with the 2.5:1 units (if I ever get time to finish the thing!)

FLJ

PS I've done a full-colour wiring diagram for Kiteman's D-C in Adobe PDF format. If anyone would like either an A4 or A3 copy then just send me your E-Mail address by PM.

BORIS

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 10:38:24 pm »

I had it delivered yesterday..after opening the box , i am impressed with the quality of all the fittings and the styrene sheet is much thicker than any other model slipway model i have had..there is lots of brass too, and a first with the wheel house using a different construction method than there previous other boats, this time being moulded styrene ,you just have to cut out the windows and add extra detailing, not that simple though..hope i can master this part!! instructions look well laid out and clear. ...be awile for me to start yet though as i still have the maggie m to finish and then the coaster!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.