Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ON DIVERSION  (Read 1275 times)

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
ON DIVERSION
« on: June 25, 2018, 07:44:52 pm »

Bit of a racket over our house yesterday and suddenly went darker . Stopped cutting the hedge and looked up and recognised the cause as being the underside of a Lancaster bomber. It appears that it had made a fly over at the Bomber Command memorial Service at Green Park and was in transit to it's next appointment at Weston Super Mare and the crew had opted to divert to make a tribute to Barnes Wallace who lived a mile up the road in Effingham.. Nice.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: ON DIVERSION
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 08:55:50 pm »

I had a similar experience 2, or possibly 3 years ago. I was in the garden when I heard the dull roar of vintage aircraft and there, coming in from behind my shed were two Lancasters and a number of Spitfires and Hurricanes. The second Lancaster was the Canadian one. They approached virtually head on to me at about 1000 ft. and then turned left for Bournemouth Airport. I live 500 yards from the big roundabout that is 4 miles north of the Airport and this is a well known turning point for the airport. A great sight, but most of all the NOISE!! Fantastic.

Buccaneer

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 09:26:05 pm »

I used to hear the aircraft that approached Shoreham for the air show whilst living in Bognor. I rarely saw them as the street was not wide enough to see more than a glimpse due to their angle of flight but it was great to hear the occasional Lancaster or B17 fly over!
Pond weed is your enemy

gerritv

• Restoring G07 1:72 model
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 12:25:18 pm »

The Lancaster from Hamilton Warplane Heritage flies over our area at least weekly during spring and summer. An awesome sight, and noise. Can hear it coming with its distinctive engine sound. Wish I could afford the flight.
I did go up in a B17 while in Sarasota one winter. Which gave me an entirely new appreciation for the bravery of those young men who went up more than once.
HMCS Athabaskan G07 1:72
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 21 queries.