Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Laptop?  (Read 4321 times)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: laptop
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2018, 10:56:52 pm »

If you are always going to be sat at the same desk, a desktop PC will give you so much more for a lot less money; including the chance of a much bigger screen.

The very reason I plug a 21" external HD monitor into my laptop, giving me the portability of a laptop and the clarity of a desk top.

Peter.

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2018, 01:40:04 am »

But not the performance of one ;)

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2018, 05:38:56 am »

I just rebuilt my windows 10 laptop with a new ssd hard drive and that plugs into a 24" TV via the HD port, I run CAD on it and my 3d printer.
at work I use a desktop with 2 21" screens and a third 18" screen, and use all that space and frequently wish for more - but then I am running CAD most of the time - the third smaller screen is just to show my emails as otherwise they get lost under every other window I have open, its also handy for the mitel phone interface which i park under the emails with just an edge showing so I can pop it to the front.
screen acreage nowadays is quite important so check if the laptop you want has an HD port (or more than one) then you can plug it into any tv to use as a monitor.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2018, 06:00:26 am »

I think Gordon just wants a reliable standard laptop with a reasonably large screen for clarity, not a super computer set up for high speed gaming or CAD! Something from PC World will do him fine.

Colin

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2018, 08:43:00 am »

thanks for the reminder Colin, the point I was tyring to make is that the laptop I have is one of those bulk standard beasties, but check that the one he gets has an hdmi port that will allow him to connect to a tv if he wants to.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2018, 09:31:54 am »

Yes, good point re the HDMI port. Very useful.

Colin

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2018, 10:07:52 am »

Hi
Both are fine for what you need.

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2018, 10:10:58 am »

saw    some in pc world hp but what is Pentium and Celeron  gordon

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2018, 10:13:16 am »

who that was quick the answer before i wrote the question     gordon

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2018, 10:42:18 am »

who that was quick the answer before i wrote the question     gordon

Referring to your very first post.

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2018, 11:20:59 am »

getting cheesed off now with computers what is amd

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: New Laptop?
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2018, 11:22:50 am »

Different brand of CPU ( main processing chip ) AMD & Intel are the 'main brands.
( Think, Ford v Vauxhall )
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2018, 11:27:13 am »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2018, 12:19:59 pm »

Think of Intel chipset and AMD chipset the same as mobile phones. A Apple iPhone and a Samsung Galaxy. Both phones are every bit as good as each other, but the Apple is the phone 'to be seen with' or 'I have an iphone and you've only got a samsung' - bragging rights.

It is the same with the Intel and AMD chipsets, some people like to brag that the Intel is the best - for best read more expensive! But in reality the ordinary bloke in the street will not notice any difference between them at all - a phone is a phone right? so one computer chipset is just the same as another, in laymans terms!
Computer geeks feel free to rubbish that analogy, but you know I'm right :} Unless you are computer savvy and keep up with all the latest releases and avidly follow the tech forums to see which latest release is micro milliseconds quicker to compute Pi to the 1 millionth decimal place, the above analogy is good enough for the layman.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2018, 12:24:25 pm »

Gordon,
A bog standard general purpose laptop like this one will do everything you might want and more as long as you don't need a built in CD/DVD drive.
No need to agonise over detailed specs at this level. It has a decent size screen and you can connect it to your TV as well if you want.

Colin
https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-15-bw060sa-15-6-laptop-grey-10164851-pdt.html

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2018, 01:10:16 pm »

Gordon, I am inclined to agree that a yearly subscription for Microsoft Office 365 [complete suite for 30 something pounds PA] is logical cost effective way to purchase software

Having said this, you would probably not use 90% of the included packages........[some could say that you can get a stand alone e-mail package for 1/2 the cost and this is true]

In my collection [in Adelaide] we have a desktop PC running Win7 and Office 2003 Professional.....yes 15 year old software...the Internet Explorer died and naturally MS did not support 15 YO software

The only software I use currently on a yearly subscription is an Adobe Package and Norton 360...........

Hewlett Packard is known for its reliability and value for money........... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2018, 01:25:40 pm »

I am still running Office (Home and Student) 2010 with no problems. I bought the disks for it years ago, in other words paid once. I have installed it on several different machines. You may be able to find a set of disks for sale somewhere. If you are familiar with MS Office and don't want to learn anything new, it might be worth considering. I only really use if for MS Word, and MS Powerpoint.

There is a lot of very reliable/stable free MS compatible stuff available now. If you are not using it for professional purposes, it is more than up to the job. If you are familiar with MS Office, these are reasonably easy to learn, there are only a few differences. These differences is that some of the tools that a 'power user' may want are not there.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2018, 01:33:59 pm »

thanks for the reminder Colin, the point I was tyring to make is that the laptop I have is one of those bulk standard beasties, but check that the one he gets has an hdmi port that will allow him to connect to a tv if he wants to.

The other thing is that most laptops come with Bluetooth now. If you buy Bluetooth headphones, you only need to set them up once, and after that just turn them on for wire free headphone sounds. You don't even need to plug a transmitter box into your laptop.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.