Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Building Advice Sought  (Read 2071 times)

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
Building Advice Sought
« on: July 05, 2018, 01:44:26 pm »

Hi

I'm shortly to begin drawing up plans for a motor-sailer as per the photo and am looking for advice on building it.

I'm building at a scale of 1:12 so it will be 27 inches long.

As you can see the hull is based on a ship's lifeboat and due to the curves I'm assuming that plank on frame is the way to go which will be a completely new experience for me. I've no idea on the size of planks to use, whether single or double planking is required and what is the best timber. I know that this type of construction can be very time consuming and fiddly but I'm seeing it as a longer term project alongside my other simpler boat builds.

Any advice will be appreciated and if there are any similar builds I can be pointed at or any drawings for similar sized/designs of boat it will be most welcome.

Thanks, Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Building Advice Sought
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 02:38:31 pm »

It might be worth looking at the Lifeboat websites, to try to identify the donor type of lifeboat. Then search for model builds of that type of lifeboat. I doubt that there is a lifeboat type that has not been modeled and the build documented. Maybe even on here.

Also post in the lifeboats section on here http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/board,163.0.html asking for advice on identifying and building a lifeboat hull. Someone may even have the hull lines and frames drawn up.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 04:46:49 pm »

Most wooden ship's lifeboats were clinker built, this one appears to be smooth - is a steel or GRP one?

If you know the length it may be possible to work out what type of ship it came from.

Colin

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 05:07:52 pm »

27 ft methinks 8) 8)

[size=0px]I'm building at a scale of 1:12 so it will be 27 inches long. [/size]
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

CJ1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 05:38:49 pm »

Hi Chris,
This is a Fairly Fisherman, built by Fairey Marine in the 60s. It was conceived as a lifeboat hull, but put into production as a motor sailor instead. It was built using hot moulded diagonal planked wood, so smooth skinned. It's 27 feet long.
Plenty of info and photos of the real boat if you Google "Fairey Fisherman".
For a 27inch boat, 3mm thick balsa or cedar strip over planks will work well, although the transom area may need to be solid balsa because of the tight tuck-in to the rudder post.
Or to do it really well, look at the lovely diagonal planking in Charlie's post in Lifeboats
Re: Rother Class Lifeboat "RNLB Duke of Kent"
Chris

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 05:45:20 pm »

you can go either of 3 ways depending on how adventurous you are

1] if you fancy making a grp boat...….check out any of my step by step grp hull builds in my lifeboat builds in the lifeboat section or the masterclass section.

2] if you want to go down plank on frame of a longitudinal planking type......I.e. planks running the length of the hull, a search of the model sections including the masterclass sections will be needed, or...

3 if you want to go down the way of double diagonal planking which is a somewhat easier [ although sounding much more complicated way of planking] have a look at the masterclass section or the lifeboat section for Gribeauvals lifeboat builds of the earlier double ended classic lifeboats.....

the information you will need to make up your mind is held within those sections. good luck, and best wishes...….she looks a nice "sailer trawler" as they were classed as. this type of boat were built by Fairey Marine.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 05:50:13 pm »

It might be worth looking at the Lifeboat websites...

Careful! There was a spell where ship's lifeboats (not RNLI lifeboats) were converted to sailing yachts, as the Board of Trade stipulated a maximum lifetime for the boats, which would then be sold on out of 'lifeboat' service. Dulcibella (from 'The Riddle of the Sands', and a boat owned by the author of the book) was an ex-lifeboat, converted to a centreboard yawl. She was diagonally planked carvel, for strength and long durations out of the water - looks like carvel, but unable to leak at the lands.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 06:08:16 pm »

heres your beastie...….definitely a Fairey.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 09:21:42 pm »

Thanks for all the replies, really useful advice and pointers to other information, just what I wanted.

As said this is going to be a longer term project and I will enjoy reading up on the various methods and builds. Obviously I need to produce the drawings before I can start building which is why I need to know/work out what thickness the skin will be.

You are spot on with it being a Fairey Fisherman (though the name of the JPEG should have been a big clue!) and yes the hull being of hot moulded timber as per many of the other Faireys. Reading back I should have said based on a life boat hull rather than just a life boat because as CJ1 says it was conceived as a life boat but was too expensive (cheaper alternatives were taken up) and rather than waste the hull plug they decided to use it as the basis for the Fisherman 27.

Decided to have a go at this because it's a Fairey, plank on frame (new to me) and it's got sails as well as the motor (again new to me) so it ain't going to be a quick job! Wouldn't be surprised if I have to have more than one go at the hull!  :-)

Thanks again, Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 09:40:34 pm »

just a final from me...…………...if you join the modelboatmayhem Facebook group there is a gent called Peter Kunst WHO builds beautiful small scale yachts POF have a look at his work, for technique and procedure...…...an excellent idea from a superb modeller.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2018, 10:58:11 pm »

Thanks Neil

I shall check him out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.