Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Help a Newbie Please?  (Read 17264 times)

supaboat

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Help a Newbie Please?
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2018, 07:07:30 am »

Would it be OK to use American lime Basswood for the sides, bottom and decking. Is about 3mm thick correct or will this be difficult to bend? If I use 5mm for the ribs is this also ok? Just trying to think it all through. Thanks guys ......

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2018, 01:16:17 pm »

IMO 3mm is overkill for the deck, 1.5mm is all that's needed. 5mm for frames is OK. Are you planking on a round bilge or building a hard chine boat? 3mm planks will bend with some help (steaming) but it will be difficult to bend 3mm sheet. I would go with 1.5mm wood and either double up or use thin fibre glass cloth as a top coat. I have built a couple of boats using this latter method on planked hulls with no problems.

My Anglian Sovereign
Don't Assume Check

supaboat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2018, 11:08:55 pm »

Great looking boat.Thanks for the advice. Once the planking has been laid and secured, does the wood need to be treated in any way before I apply the fibreglass cloth. Is there any grade of cloth that is best to use? Thanks again

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2018, 12:38:04 pm »

Obviously you need to sand the planking smooth and ensure any gaps are filled. (I do this by covering the outside of the hull in ordinary paper masking tape and forcing car body filler through any gaps from the inside. The tape cuts down the amount of remedial sanding required.) The glass cloth can then be applied direct to the hull with resin. I use cloth intended for model aircraft at 17-20 gms per square meter.

Good luck with your build.
Don't Assume Check

supaboat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2018, 07:23:41 am »

Thanks very much for the advice.

supaboat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2018, 08:05:08 pm »

Could somebody explain to me the purpose and importance of a "stuffing tube" for the propellor shaft. I would also like to know when using a "stuffing tube" how one prevents water entering into the boat hull? Thanks a lot....Supaboat

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2018, 08:31:10 am »

Hi Supaboat,

Stuffing tubes are primarily used to prevent water ingress and also to hold the prop shaft in line. Some better quality ones have ball bearings while others just have brass or plastic bearings that also form the ends of the stuffing tube. The tube can then be filled with grease, light oil, silicone grease or a blend of lubricants that help to reduce water ingress and help prolong the life of the bearings. Many model boatists add oiling tubes to their stuffing tubes (Worth searching for in the archives via the search bar above) so they can top up lubricants, but it depends on how much use the model will get.

They can be bought in various diameters and lengths to suit the size and power of the model. Look for them at various sites such as Cornwall Model boats, Deans Marine, etc.
Pond weed is your enemy

supaboat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2018, 09:05:29 am »

Thanks very much.So if I have a 5mm prop shaft it would go inside the stuffing tube with grease and then rotate on the bearings in the stuffing tube.Do I understand it correctly?

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2018, 12:34:26 pm »

I realise this is a 15cc FSR-V race boat, not a small cargo ship but this should illustrate it well %)

In the first image, from left to right we have the prop, then a skeg which supports the end of the shaft. Not all propshafts have a skeg, but I'm dealing with 8 horsepower so it's needed. inside the skeg on the prop end is a bushing to support the end of the shaft. At the other end is the end of the shaft outer tube, the stainless steel part. The shaft outer is supported in the skeg by some brass, and in this boat goes through the hull through a brass tube which it's not glued to, so the outer is removable without ripping a hole in the hull, as none of the assembly in this boat is glued in, other than the brass tube through the hull.

In the second image, you can just make out the brass bearing block under the manifold where the other end of the shaft is. This bearing housing contains a shaft retainer and two bearings, coming off the top of this is an oil feed, which at the top right corner you can see the oil cup for.

This is far above what you'd need in a cargo ship, but essentially the same. You have a main shaft with a bushing at each end, and ideally some form of shaft oiler.

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2018, 12:42:12 pm »

Have a look on The bang good site Plenty of Transmitters and Receivers a t great prices. Loads of  other models and modelling stuff :-)) O0

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2018, 03:43:11 pm »

A great help in bending wood is household ammonia. The harder woods like pine ,obeche, cyprus, lime need a little soaking time but balsa just brush it on. Try a solution first but if not enough use straight from the bottle. Works like magic.
    Good luck. :-))
P.S. Health & Safety. :police: [size=78%] Wear goggles and use outdoors or stink the house out[/size] :P

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2018, 03:51:23 pm »

Have a look on The bang good site Plenty of Transmitters and Receivers a t great prices. Loads of  other models and modelling stuff :-)) O0

Receivers are not a problem as long as they use the same coding as the transmitter.

Transmitters are more difficult. Every 2.4ghz transmitter has to carry a CE sticker saying that they have been tested & approved in the EU. It is against the law to use a transmitter that is not carrying the sticker. I somehow doubt that many Banggood transmitters have been officially tested in the EU. Note that the USA has a different legal spec to the EU and the USA is a much bigger market for Banggood etc..

I guess that Hobbyking transmitters sold out of an EU warehouse comply but I do not know for sure. 

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2018, 04:49:10 pm »

Oh yes and use gloves too O0 ?

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2018, 05:29:30 pm »

Oh yes and use gloves too O0 ?

There are very good reasons for the power limit imposed by the EU. To ignore it is illegal, irresponsible, and could possibly cause a serious accident if your transmitter swamped a legal one.

I hope that this forum would not encourage you to go there.

PS If you are using an illegal transmitter you can forget any insurance cover.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2018, 08:16:12 pm »

I guess that Hobbyking transmitters sold out of an EU warehouse comply but I do not know for sure.
I would not always rely on the equipment sold by Hobbyking complying with the regulations. They are facing a large fine in the US for selling transmitters especially 5.8GHz FPV ones which did not comply with US rules.The Eu has other rules apart from power output that need to be followed, especially with the format of the radio transmissions. Transmitters must use LBT (listen before transmit) protocols so Spectrum DSM and DSM2 and Futaba Fasst transmitters can be no longer sold legally.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

supaboat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2018, 09:01:08 pm »

Thanks guys, the info on the stuffing tube clears a lot up. Thanks very much for the photos as well.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2018, 02:50:40 am »

supaboat, why dont you go to edinburgh or glasgow richmond boat club. im sure both will give you sound advice, and to be honest, viewing what you are asking would be more beneficial to you as you can seee al the bits in operation and ask many questions that lead on to that
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

supaboat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2018, 08:56:11 am »

Hi Klunk, I will do that but do have various restrictions with movement at the moment so I'm trying to do as much online research as possible for the time being. I would enjoy visiting a boat club greatly.

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2018, 05:06:24 pm »

Jim G Does that apply to all DSMx/DSm2 Txs P.S. I think BG now have a UK or EU  warehouse so the kit probably will comply with the directives now. We could ask them. They seem ethical/honourable.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2018, 05:16:20 pm »

You cannot buy them, but if you have one,
you can use them.
If you send a Tx for repair that was DSM2/DSMX, it
will come back with the DSM2 disabled.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2018, 05:32:47 pm »

In that case can The Rxs for DSM2 be converted?

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2018, 10:09:46 pm »

I doubt if a DSM2 Rx can be converted to DSMX. Most receivers are not able to be updated with new firmware.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

supaboat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2018, 08:41:54 am »

Hi Folks, I have decided to heed the advise given to me by you guys and start off with a simple kit instead of trying to reinvent the wheel as one member wisely advised me.

I've bought a small kit from Cornwall Models. Its a Aeronaut Mowe 2 which appears to be within my capabilities at the moment. So thanks to every one who helped me to this stage. Unfortunately I am expecting a short term of lodging at our local hospital so this will delay me somewhat. I dont think they will tolerate balsa wood dust flying around the ward so I'll have to wait a bit before the build begins!!!  :(( :(( Thanks again guys and no doubt will need your help in the not to distant future.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2018, 09:07:50 am »

Good choice of kit, you will learn the basics with that one.   Good luck with your little holiday, hope you come out raring to use the scalpels you may have scrounged from those awfully nice people in the B&B :-)) .   A Springer next ? O0
..well can you land on this?

supaboat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2018, 10:00:56 am »

Thanks Arrow5, the scalpel suggestion is a good one and I'll put in a request. Cheers
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.