Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Help a Newbie Please?  (Read 17147 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Help a Newbie Please?
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2018, 07:22:57 pm »

Supaboat,
It's not so much about wasting people's time as giving them the information they need to give you helpful advice. We all want to encourage you in your efforts but it's better if things can be focussed a bit.

Colin

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 09:06:12 pm »

Don't worry Supaboat, we're raring to help you.

If going for what sounds like a displacement hull (Tug, Merchant chip, Tanker, Support ship etc) rather than a speedy affair like a cabin cruiser or a fast electric boat, then the stresses put on the rudder and propeller are less so you do not need such powerful servos or motor.

The size you quote also helps with making it easier, and potentially cheaper to build. A Tanker/merchantmen model say six feet long will weigh up to seventy-100 pounds (?) and need a motor that can stop and start that with matching ESC, and a servo to keep the rudder in the path of the prop when turning.

So, you should be able to go for a lower amp ESC and smaller motor in the '200' range and a standard servo. You could run it on 6 volts. All this should save you money.
Pond weed is your enemy

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2018, 09:38:22 pm »

And do not forget you have to get it into a vehicle easily
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2018, 09:42:50 pm »

The best advice for a Newbie is not to be too ambitious. Get something manageable under your belt and the world is your oyster. Too many people try to be too ambitious at first and this leads to disappointment.
Colin

supaboat

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2018, 10:25:37 pm »

Thanks guys.Would a servo like this one do the job?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/power-hd-lw-20mg-servo.html

I think I would prefer to bite the bullet right now and run on 12v so I can add lights etc as I become more knowledgeable in this field. Any suggestions out there? Thanks guys.

supaboat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2018, 10:28:09 pm »

I also meant to ask ballastanksian

what a 200 motor is? Thanks

Font enlarged.

supaboat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2018, 10:30:05 pm »

Sorry guys, whats a 200 motor?

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2018, 11:19:44 pm »

Brushed (classic can shaped) motors usually come in size/power classes from wee ones to monsters such as 800s or 900s down to little 100s. This page on Howes shows a range, but it is only one example of loads of different makes. Here: https://howesmodels.co.uk/product-category/radio-control/motors/brushed-motors/

For a cargo or working vessel of your proposed size, one in the 200s size would be good possibly up to a '300'. There people here who know shedloads more than me, but you hear motor sizes mentioned time and time again and you get the feel for what turns a sedate boat into a speed machine and vis versa! Check out the voltage range of the motor and get a battery with a voltage within that range. You can see that they are not that expensive even from the UK.
Pond weed is your enemy

supaboat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2018, 08:20:21 am »

Thanks for that. The link is very helpful. Back to the drawing board.At least I'M ENJOYING IT.

supaboat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2018, 10:15:56 am »

Could you guys tell me if this transmitter and receiver are suitable and provide a certain amount of future proofing?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-9x-9ch-transmitter-w-module-ia8-receiver-mode-1-afdhs-2a-system.html?___store=en_us

Thanks again...supaboat

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2018, 11:02:49 am »

Yep that'd be suitable for small scale electric boats. In that price range though for definite future proofing I'd go for the new Jumper. It works on just about every 2.4ghz protocol, and runs on open source software so you'll be able to do way more with it. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/t8sg-v2-m2.html
That servo you linked is way overkill for a small cargo ship, it'd be fine with just a bog standard HS-311 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hitec-HS311-Servo/263738946632?epid=12009495751&hash=item3d6810f448:g:q9YAAOSw8mpbFqsg

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2018, 11:26:35 am »

Looking at the specs for the Jumper, DSM2 and no mention of LBT protocol so not legal to use in europe. Unlikely to be CE passed.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2018, 12:18:43 pm »

Just because it has dsm2 doesn't mean you need to use it... A quick google search shows it has LBT and an EU mode. Supposedly it's been sent for FCC and CE certification but not yet passed due to 'issues in testing'

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2018, 06:21:13 pm »

The fact that it is a new transmitter with DSM2 means that it is illegal in europe whether it is used or not.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2018, 09:58:56 pm »

Supa Boat, go for a transmitter package you can afford that has no vices or concerns.

In all honesty, looking at their web site, Component shop would probably advise you on what you need regarding motor and servo (if not much else you need) if you Email them with a description of what you are after, I.e, 50cm model of a merchant ship with single shaft etc.

Their prices are good especially for the specifications you are after. https://www.componentshop.co.uk/
Pond weed is your enemy

supaboat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2018, 11:10:28 am »

Ok, I need to draw on your guys expertise on the following issues please;

I think Im going to buy the following transmitter and receiver from Hobbyking. I'm not sure which is more suitable,Mode 1 or Mode 2.

hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-9x-9ch-transmitter-w-module-ia8-receiver-mode-2-afdhs-2a-system.html

A member suggested I run a 6Vdc system wich I think is a good idea for a newbie such as myself. Could you guys please help me on the selection of the ESC,battery and motor. I dont get the importance of cell matching with the ESC unless I have completely misunderstood all this. Guys, thanks a lot for your advice.

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2018, 02:08:32 pm »

Mode 1 is ratcheting throttle on the right, mode 2 is on the left. 90% of people go for mode 2.
For a cargo ship, you'll be looking at a 6v sla, available from Component shop, suited in size and weight for your model, then a 400 motor and 20 amp esc. It wouldn't be worth going for a brushless setup in something like this

supaboat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2018, 06:53:00 pm »

Hi Andyn.What is a SLA? Also, what are the rules when matching ESC,battery and motor together? Are there any guidlines worth sticking to. I'm sure there must be. I was told that a ESC should always be rated 15 to 20% higher amps than your motor.Any truth to this?

Lastly, if you use a brushless motor must the ESC be specifically designed for brushless motors.

Absolutely finally, can you explain the sensor relationship between the ESC and MOTOR is please. Thanks a lot.

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2018, 02:32:04 am »

Sealed lead acid, traditionally used in model boats for their high capacity and weight, eliminating the need for lead ballast.
An ESC's rating should be higher than that of the motor's highest draw yes. If you're going for a brushless motor then you'll need a brushless esc, though if you say you're building a cargo ship I'd still reccommend against it. You'd need a very low kv motor (rpm per volt) and possibly gearing to get fine low speed control.
Sensored brushless motors are available and cost a lot of money, and are largely unnecessary on model boats. Generally speaking they're used on rock crawlers.
I'd side with the 400 route with an ACTion esc. very simple for a begginner, very little to go wrong. Still, having not seen any boat designs, any advice giver should still be taken with a pinch of salt...

supaboat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2018, 08:15:12 am »

Thanks a lot.Thats cleared up a few things for me so I can hopefully move onto the next stage. Thanks very much.

supaboat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2018, 11:55:01 am »

Could somebody be kind enough to advise me on the best method on installing my iA8 Turnigy receiver please. I know it should be kept away from metal,motors etc but what about the aerials.How should they be positioned for best reception? Can they be inserted into a small plastic tube for protection against water for example? I also see the binding loop,attachment has a small pin like device on it, what is this for?

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2018, 11:58:25 am »

Previous post text

would somebody be kind enough to advise me on the best method on installing my iA8 Turnigy receiver please. I know it should be kept away from metal, motors etc but what about the aerials. How should they be positioned for best reception? Can they be inserted into a small plastic tube for protection against water for example? I also see the binding loop,attachment has a small pin like device on it, what is this for?
Don't Assume Check

supaboat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2018, 12:07:46 pm »

Thanks dougal99, seem to be having trouble posting.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2018, 07:21:10 pm »

Hi Dougal
Don't worry too much about the position of the receiver as 2.4GHz Rx are not very sensitive to any probable electrical interference from motors etc. The bits that do need to be kept clear are the ends of the aerials. Try and keep them as high as possible to give them a clear view of the signal. Plastic tubes are perfect to put the aerials in as they do not block the radio signal. Try and keep the aerials at 90 degrees to each other, one vertical and the other horizontal is good. An alternative is both at 45 degrees to horizontal will give good reception with the Tx in any position. Try to position the transmitter aerial so it doesn't point at the boat as this gives the poorest signal.If you look at the receiver box it will have a small hole in the bottom or the side of the case. Under the hole is a small push switch which is used during the updating of the firmware in the receiver. The pin is to push this switch.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

supaboat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2018, 08:35:06 pm »

Thanks JimG, that sorted it for me.Thanks very much for your time.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.