Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Boats Magazine  (Read 7814 times)

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
Model Boats Magazine
« on: June 30, 2018, 03:44:13 pm »

Just a quick question - Has anyone else had difficulty in obtaining the Model Boats Magazine since April?

I normally pick my copy up from WH Smiths - but finding a copy has been unusually difficult. (Inverness, Elgin, Aberdeen, Perth, Dundee,  Kirkcaldy, Livingston, Edinburgh, Glasgow, and Dunfirmline - I have managed to pick up copies in Stirling though)

(I am not currently a subscriber as me subscribing to a magazine seems to be the kiss of death)

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Model Boats Magazine
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 05:24:23 pm »

Not available on Merseyside either, as far as I can see; sad really as one of the major contributors lives a couple of miles from me. I'm only able to see the magazine when he brings his copy to our weekly coffees.

Lets hope therefore that the new editor and the management are able to pull things around but, I'm not very hopeful, the best that can be done is a managed decline until it is no longer viable.

The reasons for this are many and varied, I just like to think that the World has changed and that many of the older generations have not, or are not, able to keep pace and that includes me!

LB

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 05:42:00 pm »

Pulling out of subscribing might
save me a Bob or two but I would
rather have the magazine.
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 06:33:15 pm »

As far as I am aware the magazine is fuctioning normally with a healthy readership, especially since the demise of MMI. Our new editor Martyn Chorlton is on top of the job as you can see from the latest issue contents:
https://www.modelboats.co.uk/news/article/model-boats-august-2018/26429

However, the health of niche magazines generally does depend very much on subscriptions rather than the casual purchaser. As always, it is a case of use it or lose it.If you check out the subscription offers you will see that the print copy works out at £3.38 each, less than a pint of beer! The digital edition is just £2.20 a copy. So what is there to complain about? I think people need to get a sense of perspective and look at it in line with other personal discretionary expenditure. The news stand copy costs more because W.H Smith etc. don't stock it for nothing!

Some people do seem to be very quick to play the doom and gloom card and that really doesn't help things. We should be supporting the hobby, not running it down.
Colin

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 07:24:56 pm »

Colin - At the moment buying from newsagent is a better option for me as I can normally pick up a copy anywhere in Scotland - I am currently spending significant time away from home for work -

In the long term I may opt to subscribe

It is unusual to have difficulty in obtaining a copy - Normally the two big WH Smiths (Glasgow - Sauchiehall Street and Argyle Street) do cater to the more niche market particularly in the tourist season.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 07:44:32 pm »

I have enquired if there are any current distribution issues.
Colin

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 07:52:07 pm »

I have enquired if there are any current distribution issues.
Colin

Thanks

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 08:09:27 pm »

As far as I am aware the magazine is fuctioning normally with a healthy readership, especially since the demise of MMI. Our new editor Martyn Chorlton is on top of the job as you can see from the latest issue contents:
https://www.modelboats.co.uk/news/article/model-boats-august-2018/26429
Some people do seem to be very quick to play the doom and gloom card and that really doesn't help things. We should be supporting the hobby, not running it down.
Colin

I am, and admit that I am, biased to a certain extent, but I have seen a copy of the latest model boats magazine and can honestly say that in the very short tenure of the previous editor who moved over to a sister magazine and Martyn Chorlton who is now the present editor, I have myself seen a vast improvement in the magazine in the few short months, and it was like going back in time to the days when John Cundell, who was a lovely and very approachable man, was editor of the mag...…...and I have started buying the magazine again, as the layout and content is both diverse but interesting once more

RST

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2018, 08:40:35 pm »

Rather strange. I live in Culloden. I never struggle for an issue -Tesco on Airfield way (Inshes never does it)  is best but both there and John Menzies (sorry, Smiths) on the high street always have a copy (I have them all so far this year).  But they come out almost a week later.  It's when I go out of town -central belt (homeland) you would think you can pick up a copy anywhere else but not so. It did pain me last month though, cellophane wrapped with more rubbish which ended up in the bin.  Need to stop that MB else I wont keep buying!!!!

I have never struggled for an issue of MB here but I have elsewhere in Scotland.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2018, 09:06:06 pm »

Yes Neil, I think you are a bit biased  %) but I would agree that there is nothing wrong with a new Editor putting their own imprint on the magazine content and I would be disappointed if it were otherwise. Both Graham Ashby and Martyn Chorlton have aimed to build upon the foundations set by Paul Freshney and before him John Cundell and more power to their elbow. The revised format will appeal to many and hopefully carry the previous readership with it. I have worked with both Graham and Martyn and they are very committed to making the magazine appeal to as wide a readership as possible. It is the only national magazine we have left so it does deserve our support. Do remember that however well intentioned the Editor is, he can only publish the material that is available so it is important that people do make an effort to contribute articles. This does involve a bit more effort than simply posting stuff on internet forums but it does reach a much wider readership to the overall benefit of our hobby.

Colin

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2018, 11:05:03 pm »

Rather strange. I live in Culloden. I never struggle for an issue -Tesco on Airfield way (Inshes never does it)  is best but both there and John Menzies (sorry, Smiths) on the high street always have a copy (I have them all so far this year).  But they come out almost a week later.  It's when I go out of town -central belt (homeland) you would think you can pick up a copy anywhere else but not so. It did pain me last month though, cellophane wrapped with more rubbish which ended up in the bin.  Need to stop that MB else I wont keep buying!!!!

I have never struggled for an issue of MB here but I have elsewhere in Scotland.

I have struggled since April and it has been more miss than hit in Inverness - but at the moment I am away quite a lot so relying on WH Smiths in other locations.

John Menzies  :(( - blast from the past - Still remember the 99p matchbox plastic model planes back in the late 80's or picking up Model Mart in the days before the net.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2018, 04:28:00 am »

Doesn't seem to be readily available in Brisbane newsagents.

The latest issue available at my library, which has a subscription, is March 2018.

Thought it had also gone down the chute as did Military Modelling?
Gunna build those other boats one day.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2018, 08:03:16 am »

Some Tesco's stock it.
Downloaded digital version 3days ago. Waiting for hard copy.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2018, 10:10:27 am »

Menzies   brings back memories lived about 100yds along our street from it .As a If our wee newsagent did not have a comic  could go along there and use their own counter inside

Dave Cook

• Cookie
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Keep on Rockin
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2018, 10:23:25 am »

Get mine from Tesco Leyland  every month no probs  :-)
Dave

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2018, 12:37:11 pm »

Tescos at Bidston Moss were supposed to sock it I believe, but I've never seen it there, anyway I'm not prepared to do a 9 mile round trip just to buy a magazine - any magazine.

On another point, if the magazine wants contributor's then they had better start paying them properly, not with the washers that they have done in the past and continue to use.

LB

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2018, 12:54:45 pm »

Should be done for love and promotion of the hobby with a little reward. Increase payments to contributors will result in the cost of the magazine price going up and up which will result in every one complaining about the cost of said magazine and reduced purchases which in turn will lead to the magazine folding. 

Gee people are so short sited. %% %% %%

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2018, 01:34:10 pm »

Ifyou are having trouble getting the magazine why not feed this information back to my time media.I am sure they would appreciate your feedback.Its o.k. to complain about problems getting the magazine but without feed back nothing will change. Personally I have no problems taken out a regular subscription arrives every month my thoughts on this matter only

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2018, 01:46:17 pm »

Ifyou are having trouble getting the magazine why not feed this information back to my time media.I am sure they would appreciate your feedback.Its o.k. to complain about problems getting the magazine but without feed back nothing will change. Personally I have no problems taken out a regular subscription arrives every month my thoughts on this matter only

Have done - I was trying to find out if there was a bit more widespread - and it seems to be.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2018, 03:59:36 pm »

None of the newsagents round my neck of the woods stock it any more. I was never a susbscriber, and only purchased the occasional issue, usually if there was a plan feature that caugh mye eye, and I used to like the Brian King articles as I found those educational, sadly he’s now long gone.

In all honesty i’ve always found books to be of more value to me in the hobby

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2018, 04:41:20 pm »

WHS have never stocked the magazine at all their branches, my local one has never carried it. When I was editing the special issues a few years back I discovered that they would only be stocked at those branches where WHS thought they would be able to sell at least five copies from their historical analysis of sales. They probably do the same for the main MB magazine. So if there are perhaps only two or three model boaters who visit the branch and these only buy it occasionally then they will give it up as a bad job - use it or lose it again!
Obviously people have different model boating interests but the idea of the magazine is to try and provide something for everyone although the amount will vary from issue to issue depending on your particular favourite subjects. It's the same for all magazines. Generally I find that at least 75% of the magazine to be worth reading, often more, and that sort of proportion makes a subscription worthwhile. If you are just buying the odd issue for a particular article then yes, that is an expensive way to do things.
LB is well aware that there is no magic money tree. Niche magazines like MB may be perfectly viable but operate on tight budgets and the payments to contributors reflect this. I'm sure that if he were to contribute to Hello! or Vogue then he would be rewarded with the sums he believes his expertise entitles him to.  ok2
The key to all this is subscriptions as these provide a reliable income and the margin is much better than on newstrade copies where WHS are taking close to half of the cover price.
Colin

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2018, 05:07:30 pm »

Take out a subscription save all the hassle and save money also. If you are away often just think of all that reading when you get home in this world of doom and gloom it would surely make you feel better.

Stan. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2018, 06:33:25 pm »

Hi SJG001, You say you move abut a lot for work, but do you have a base where your post goes to? I ask because whie waiting for the first few magazines would be frustrating, taking two or three magazines back out with you after collecting them from your home base would make a subscription more practical. It's just that initial wait for some magazines to read!

When Martyn took over the editing of Mil Mod, He injected it with new blood and reinstated some old features such as a letters page and reader's models. I cannot say whether the previous editor was bored or did not have the feel for Military Modelling as much as Ken Jones or Martyn, but I did notice a dip in the magazine during this time.

On seeing Graham take over Model Boats, I got the feeling again of fresh blood in such things as the spread of articles and also the editorial piece at the beginning of the magazine which I believe is the place where the editor can discuss things he may have been approached about or indeed is passionate about, a sort of editorial equivalent of Glynn Guests's Mooring Post.

With the new editor taking over, I have experience in his previous work (see above) and reckon that the magazine will continue to do well providing we buy it where we can.

My local newsagent orders Model Boats in for me, and while more costly, I like to support my local newsagent as much as I do my remaining favourite hobby magazine. Given the issues that Milmod had, would having a small monthly charge for using the forum help fund the magazine?
Pond weed is your enemy

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2018, 08:14:01 pm »

I will be taking out a subscription later this year.

However the advantage for me at the moment is being able to pick up a magazine in a newsagent and be able to read it in a hotel.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2018, 08:14:23 pm »

People expect forums to be free, a charge would kill it. One of the problems with Military Modelling is that the free forum was popular but the participants didn't buy the magazine, well, not enough of them anyway. So the tail was wagging the dog. You can't run a commercial magazine on that basis and so both were lost.

The forum was there to support the magazine and it is the same case with Model Boats. If you want a model boating magazine to be available then people need to buy it, whether in hard copy or digital format. You can't expect it to always be there whenever you might occasionally choose to buy a copy but some people seem to expect just that.
Colin
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 22 queries.