The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Lifeboats

Rother Class Lifeboat "RNLB Duke of Kent"

<< < (26/26)

17-09:
Charlie,
 I would personally go down the fabrication route, the shape of the upper plates would be built onto the hull giving you the perfect shape of your hull and a good strong joint, you could use wood or plastic to make these. The vertical section with all the detail could then be added from whatever material you prefer, I think again would use a thick styrene, easily machined or constructed with normal hand tools, drill/filed, this would be  followed by the skid, again from bent styrene or even metal section which could be easily pinned to the vertical plate because it has a good cross section thickness.
My skid, the part that runs on the cradle, had a round section where yours has it square which is easier to attach. Moulding one in resin or white metal would be good but you have to make a master anyway.
 Regards  17-09   (Alan)

Charlie:
Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions, it is much appreciated. I will mull over my next steps, and hopefully (if the temperature warms up in the shop) make some progress. I will of course provide an update here when I have anything to show.
Charlie

Charlie:
A little progress to report. Fore and Aft deck beams are now fitted. The steering gear is sorted, and the mould for the GRP Wheelhouse is progressing.

Capt Podge:
Looking good Charlie - this is another one for me to catch up with - I'm off back to page one for a memory jogger  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version