Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Rother Class Lifeboat "RNLB Duke of Kent"  (Read 29585 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Rother Class Lifeboat "RNLB Duke of Kent"
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2018, 11:56:04 pm »

those look handy bits of kit Derek……….have you got a link by any chance.

cheers,

neil.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2018, 12:04:08 am »

Neil.....these will be available worldwide  %) ...I have the plastic set which can distort, however the stepped metal set are certainly superior  :-)) in their clamping ability..Derek

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjCr9-3iIncAhVY_GEKHakQCpQQFgg_MAc&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hobbytools.com.au%2F10-piece-planking-clamp-set%2F&usg=AOvVaw28gM48f9NrnLS5l7VuYsGG
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2018, 11:17:46 am »

Those planking screws look ok if you are fixing longitudinal planks, and have nice thick frames to screw into. In my case they would have to screw into my very thin Stringers, which wouldn't be strong enough. So i will stick with the G-Clamps i think.

2 things i have learned so far, 1) i need a lot more clamps, and 2) i must soak the planks in hot water for a few minutes, otherwise they won't take the bend, and will snap.

Once my new clamps (from ebay) arrive, i can plank both sides simultaneously. Which might mean i get the first layer finished before Christmas :-)

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2018, 02:46:09 pm »

This book is well worth a read, for anyone interested in Rother's. They often come up 2nd hand on eBay or Amazon, for a knockdown price.

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2018, 03:22:29 pm »

This is the Rother that is for sale in Denmark. I believe this is ex 37-31 RNLB J Reginald Corah, which served at Swanage.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10210570438961979&set=gm.1963529250354419&type=3&theater&ifg=1

is this the Rother that is for sale and has been for some years now but at a ridiculously high price......something like around 15 grand, but the chap won't take a penny less..
what price for match wood and kindling,

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2018, 05:23:15 pm »

Cheers Charlie,...….I think my eyes are probably deceiving me, but that boat, from the boot topping white lining looks to be hogsbacking...……..ten grand for a boat that's bent in the middle like a one string fiddle, doesn't inspire a lot of future for her...…….he'd have been better selling for that price a long time ago before she descended into this awful condition.....sad, but what a mess. >>:-( <*< <:( <:( <:(

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2018, 05:38:00 pm »

Hi Charlie - I was going to ask what you were using for the planking but I see from the first post that you are using lime. Is this deemed to be the best timber to use? What thickness are you using and are you double planking?

Cheers, Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2018, 06:06:18 pm »

Hi Chris - i am using Lime. See discussion here:

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,61101.0.html

My planks are 6mm x 1.5mm, and i will be double planking.

Latest update: 16 planks now fitted. That Aliphatic Resin is very strong; i've found that it sticks my metal clamps to the wood so strongly, that when i try to remove the clamps, parts of the timber will come away stuck to the clamp. So now i'm using some packing pieces between clamp and planks.

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2018, 06:21:53 pm »

You're right Neil, it is very sad to see a once immaculately maintained Lifeboat be allowed so suffer such a sad demise. This was a photo i took of the J Reginald Corah back in 1989 or 1990, which shows how well she was looked after.

Cheers Charlie,...….I think my eyes are probably deceiving me, but that boat, from the boot topping white lining looks to be hogsbacking...……..ten grand for a boat that's bent in the middle like a one string fiddle, doesn't inspire a lot of future for her...…….he'd have been better selling for that price a long time ago before she descended into this awful condition.....sad, but what a mess. >>:-( <*< <:( <:( <:(

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2018, 07:21:28 pm »

You're right Neil, it is very sad to see a once immaculately maintained Lifeboat be allowed so suffer such a sad demise. This was a photo i took of the J Reginald Corah back in 1989 or 1990, which shows how well she was looked after.

I just cannot understand someone with such mentality as to allow such a thing to happen.

your model looks superb, Charlie....are you finding the planking an easy task or hard going, and are you steaming the planks at all.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2018, 11:00:09 pm »

Thanks for the information Charlie.

Yes, the a/resin glue is brilliant stuff, it's the only glue I'm using at the moment. Bit slow going though as I tend to leave it clamped up for quite a few hours and usually over night.

Forgot to ask, did you draw up the plans yourself?

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2018, 12:16:58 am »

Cameras can play terrible tricks  >>:-( .....'broken back or hogged'?...........I would not put 10 cents on a bet that this vessel has a broken back.....without seeing complimentary evidence of such hull mechanical distortion.............Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2018, 11:05:05 am »

Hi Neil - the planking is pretty straight forward, you just need a large dose of patience :-)
I give each plank a 5 minute soak in hot water, and then they are flexible enough to bend. No steaming required.

Hi Chris - i glued 2 pieces of Lime together using the Resin Glue, and left to soak in water for 5 days. When i took them out, they were still firmly glued together, with no softening. So it's definitely good stuff. I managed to obtain a set of RNLI Plans, which i then reduced on a photo copier from 1/12th down to 1/15th scale.

Charlie

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2018, 12:11:10 pm »

Hi Derek - i would wager good money that you are not now, nor have ever been, a gambling man! {-)

Cameras can play terrible tricks  >>:-( .....'broken back or hogged'?...........I would not put 10 cents on a bet that this vessel has a broken back.....without seeing complimentary evidence of such hull mechanical distortion.............Derek

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2018, 05:41:07 pm »

Not too much progress to report today, so i'm going to share some Rother Trivia. I just picked up these 2 Magazines on eBay. The Feb 1980 edition of Model Boats Magazine contains part 1 of 2, of a Rother Build at a scale of 3/4" to 1ft. Plans used to be available from the Model Boats catalogue, to go with the article. I also picked up this Feb 1980 edition of the Model Engineer, which has a photo of the Duke of Kent on the cover. Sadly there is no more info inside.

Charlie

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2018, 07:19:05 pm »

Just passed my unmade one on with plans and write up.
Had it for some twenty years and just could not find the time to make her.
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2018, 09:28:06 am »

Hi Fred - would that be the Metcalf Rother kit you had? They can build up into a nice model. This was one i saw at the LBES Meeting at Knightcote.

Just passed my unmade one on with plans and write up.
Had it for some twenty years and just could not find the time to make her.

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2018, 10:55:46 am »

Todays bit of Rother Trivia: There are actually 2 Rothers in private ownership, which are used as trip boats.

The former Walmer Lifeboat RNLB The Hampshire Rose, Operational Number 37-32 is now based at Ilfracombe. I have a photo of this boat when she was running trips from Gunwharf Quay in Portsmouth Harbour, from a few years ago

YouTube clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVNg8kwB5XE

The former Hoylake and Rhyl Lifeboat RNLB Mary Gabriel, Operational Number 37-29 is now based at Tenby.

YouTube clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfwldLp7cjQ

At some point I hope to have a trip myself, on one or both of these Lifeboats.

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
Rother Class Lifeboat "RNLB Duke of Kent"
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2018, 02:41:28 pm »

More planks fitted today. If i get my timing right, i can fit 3 pairs per day :-)

typhoon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2018, 06:31:44 pm »

jeeeez thats looks painfully tedious but i take me hat of to you it seems you doing a grand job  ,  me i think ill stick to fibreglass hulls as i havent got the patience or the  skills for that planking lark.

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2018, 07:29:41 am »

Hi Fred - would that be the Metcalf Rother kit you had? They can build up into a nice model. This was one i saw at the LBES Meeting at Knightcote.

Sorry but I have no idea were the hull came from I picked it up at an R.N.L.I. bring and buy sale back in 94/95,

All the best

Fred
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2018, 10:16:20 am »

To keep the hull symmetrical, i have made a start on the Port Side planking. I think this side is going better; some of the earlier planks on the other side were straightening out between stringers, so what i have now started doing is pre-bending the planks around a baked bean tin! to give a bit of curvature before stretching them over the stringers. Seems to be working a bit better and giving a smoother profile. I have also bought a load of these Clamps, which due to the plastic clamping face, don't get stuck to the hull.

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2018, 12:14:23 pm »

Steady progress has been made with the Planking. I have now applied the first 5 Planks into each Tunnel, but the next ones are going to be quite challenging due to the amount of twist required.

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2018, 01:52:00 pm »

Did you know, there is a superb 1:12 scale model of the Duke of Kent, in the Eastbourne Lifeboat Museum? It was one of 3 Rother models made for the RNLI for display, by the late Brian King, master modeler.

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2018, 08:37:58 pm »

I've done approx 70% of the first layer of planking now. Tunnels are starting to take shape.
Took a drive down to Eastbourne to view the Full Size Duke of Kent today, looking for a bit of inspiration. She needs a lot of work doing, so I'm not sure whether it will be the model or the full sized boat that will be afloat first!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 23 queries.