Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crew size for 1700 to 1750 60' Fishing Boat  (Read 1623 times)

Borden

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Crew size for 1700 to 1750 60' Fishing Boat
« on: July 21, 2018, 07:37:46 pm »

Building as 2' long model of an east coat of north america 2 mast fishing boat. NS, NB, PEI and Main area has room at back with ladder/stair into it and a storage at front that has lower compartments and with two hold compartments for cargo and fish. This is not a live hold ship from the period. At 60' thought maybe side net and possibly some lines? Will not plank in an oval on one side to show interior. First time doing the inside of a ship. so want to add people and furnishings. The plans only show floor layout and general construction. Also what cargo would they take?

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Crew size for 1700 to 1750 60' Fishing Boat
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 12:24:06 am »

you might be better fishing for the answer on this site...…...some great historians on there...…...American based site.

https://www.rcgroups.com/scale-boats-55/

Borden

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 03:10:42 pm »

you might be better fishing for the answer on this site...…...some great historians on there...…...American based site.

https://www.rcgroups.com/scale-boats-55/
Turns out the model is a square top sail schooner they were 52' to 100', popular build in PEI and latter in the 1800's the design was referred as Baltimore clipper.  Many were built for export to England. They liked it for fishing as it required a smaller crew, that way everyone got a better cut of the catch. Minimum of 6 in crew still have to figure out how to outfit the storage and sleeping arrangements and other details but making progress. 

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 03:55:46 pm »

If you know the boat was a given length, which you may be able to deduce by comparing your plan with online photos. If you have the name of the model, you can often find out what boat it was based on, and that will give you the size of the original.
Once you know the size of the original, and the size of model, you can work out the scale. After that you can work out the height of the figures you will need for crew. Bear in mind that people were smaller back then, compared to today. The average height of an English male was 5'5" in the 17th and 18th centuries. I would not expect Americans to be very much different at that period of history.

If it was a Grand Banks Schooner, it could easily sailed out of Gloucester Massachusetts. There is a maritime museum in Gloucester that may well be able to help you with your enquiry as to the inner plans of the boats. I also did a quick Google image search of ‘Grand Banks Schooner plans’, and a couple of images showing inner layouts did come up.
From what I have read in the past, I got the impression that they did not use nets. The main attraction of using schooners is that they were fast, and a boat could get out to the Grand Banks, fish, and get back quickly with the catch and get straight out again.
The schooners would carry a number of dory boats, perhaps up to 12. Grand Banks dorys were simple flat bottomed boats that could be stacked on deck for transport (lots of plans online). The seats would then be dropped in and the boat lowered into the water with usually one fisher man, some food and long lines. The dorys would be left out for up to 3 days, before the schooner returned to pick up the fishermen and their catches. Then the schooners would race home.
I would imagine that as much room as possible would be given to hold space, and very little room for creature comforts, like bunks.
If you look on line there are many photos, and documents related to the life of Grand Banks Schooners, especially those out of Gloucester, Massachusetts. Here is a link that may help, the drawings are from the Library of Congress http://www.themodelshipwright.com/prototype-shipbuilding/the-hull-the-heart-of-a-ship/.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Borden

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 11:49:57 pm »

If you know the boat was a given length, which you may be able to deduce by comparing your plan with online photos. If you have the name of the model, you can often find out what boat it was based on, and that will give you the size of the original.
Once you know the size of the original, and the size of model, you can work out the scale. After that you can work out the height of the figures you will need for crew. Bear in mind that people were smaller back then, compared to today. The average height of an English male was 5'5" in the 17th and 18th centuries. I would not expect Americans to be very much different at that period of history.

If it was a Grand Banks Schooner, it could easily sailed out of Gloucester Massachusetts. There is a maritime museum in Gloucester that may well be able to help you with your enquiry as to the inner plans of the boats. I also did a quick Google image search of ‘Grand Banks Schooner plans’, and a couple of images showing inner layouts did come up.
From what I have read in the past, I got the impression that they did not use nets. The main attraction of using schooners is that they were fast, and a boat could get out to the Grand Banks, fish, and get back quickly with the catch and get straight out again.
The schooners would carry a number of dory boats, perhaps up to 12. Grand Banks dorys were simple flat bottomed boats that could be stacked on deck for transport (lots of plans online). The seats would then be dropped in and the boat lowered into the water with usually one fisher man, some food and long lines. The dorys would be left out for up to 3 days, before the schooner returned to pick up the fishermen and their catches. Then the schooners would race home.
I would imagine that as much room as possible would be given to hold space, and very little room for creature comforts, like bunks.
If you look on line there are many photos, and documents related to the life of Grand Banks Schooners, especially those out of Gloucester, Massachusetts. Here is a link that may help, the drawings are from the Library of Congress http://www.themodelshipwright.com/prototype-shipbuilding/the-hull-the-heart-of-a-ship/.

GREAT! help thank you

The Nova Scotia marine museum also helped they showed me the same schooner it is a gaff rigged 2 mast fishing schooner in winter configuration with all the help I am ready to start my next model.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.