Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Micro Models.  (Read 932 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Micro Models.
« on: July 11, 2018, 11:40:26 am »

Came across this Facebook page today. Some lovely 3D printed models there but the prices are astronomical.  This ferry is 1:200 scale and around 1100€  :o :o

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
Re: Micro Models.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 01:16:12 pm »

It's about £970 quid. A lot of money, but if you consider the work that's gone into the design,  that's only 129 hours at minimum wage and I bet it took many times that. Add in the cost of the 3D print, another big bill, and it doesn't sound so bad.

It all depends how much you want a model like this. If you don't have the skill to do the job from scratch, and want such a boat really badly, it's possibly worth a go.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 01:24:21 pm »

We're still in 'generation 2' of 3D printing, prices will come down ......     {:-{
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 01:31:46 pm »

Not for a long while for the things we need. 3D printing, or rapid prototyping, isn't going to replace injection molding in a hurry.

You can produce superb stuff in resin, BUT the cost is horrific. Or you can have a lower cost and lower quality and just pretend you don't mind that it looks like it's made of sand and you didn't want smooth sides.

Ultimately, it will become just another tool in the modellers box. We'll use it when appropriate but not all the time. See also etching, laser cutting, whitemetal casting etc. etc.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 22 queries.