Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paddle Steamer B L Nairn, the Fifie, a paddle car ferry.  (Read 2897 times)

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
Paddle Steamer B L Nairn, the Fifie, a paddle car ferry.
« on: July 10, 2018, 09:51:10 pm »

I've built a few paddle steamers, and living in the town of Dundee on the banks of the Tay, one is always being asked the question by the side of the pond, is that a Fifie?  That's one of the old car ferries that used to cross the Tay before 1966 when the road bridge was built.

In fact the two ferries operating at that time were motor ships operating with Voith Sneider units that made them very manoeuvrable.  In reserve was the old steam ferry the B L Nairn, last of a long line of roll on roll off ferries that had existed since the turn of the century.  It dated from 1929, and was pretty manoeuvrable itself having independent paddle wheels

Now I have thought this would be a lovely topic for a build.  A double ended car ferry, one end a vehicle deck the other a passenger saloon, the bridge in the middle and a tall smoke stack doubling as mast in the middle.  A nice wide stable paddle steamer.

I've posted a picture at the bottom of the boat, and a copy of the plans I've drawn up - now the originals are in the Dundee City Archives and I was kindly allowed to examine them and photograph them.  I could have had them scanned, at a price, but actually I like the challenge of drawing up the plans, as as I do it makes me think how the model is going to be constructed.

So 1/48th scale, but with a few changes to make a better model.  Slightly deeper draught, to be more stable, slightly larger paddle wheels, to give a little more power, and a simplified hull shape because the original was little more than a barge with pointy ends.  And no rudders, because all the steering can be done with its independent paddle wheels - I realised this from my Director class paddle tug.

I was told my a fellow modeller last week that the Heng Long tank gearboxes and motors make excellent drives for paddle boats ,and so I quickly and cheaply acquired one from that well known auction site, and it fits very neatly inside the plan.

So here goes, and wish me luck, as I start off on this new venture, a Fifie, or paddle driven steam car ferry.....

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Paddle Steamer B L Nairn, the Fifie, a paddle car ferry.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 03:18:54 pm »

Hi Edmund, if you are going to follow club tradition you will have to make it from aluminium sheet. We have had two fifies so far, both built by Findlay from alloy.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 04:06:26 pm »

Hi Jim,

I think a break from tradition is required!  This Fifie’s going to be a wooden one!

Mackenzie

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 01:39:19 am »

Hi Edmund, good to hear about your next project. I will have look to see if have some pictures from Dad's build. You are aware Dave Ellis donated both to transport museum. Keeping up tradition the both have to sink on maiden voyage. Re Jim

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 08:52:53 am »

What an interesting subject, and a really good looking boat! That drawing you are making is a piece of art in it self :-))
One question, on the original is it the wheels or the wheelhouse that is positioned in the middle of the vessels length? Can't really tell from the picture.
All the best
Hama

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 09:11:15 am »

Hi Hama,

The half way point of the hull is the break between the salon and the car deck. This puts the wheels well into the salon section and the bridge slightly forward of the centre line. One side of the funnel is on the centre line.

Thanks for the comments on the drawing. I've always enjoyed making plans for ships. Look closely and you'll see scribbled out mistakes. These are working plans!

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 09:16:00 am »

Hi Jim McM,

I know the models in the transport museum, even seen one on the water. And you know my boats- I always take a bit of the pond home with me as a souvenir.....

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 11:20:10 am »

Ok that makes sense, its where the mast is then :embarrassed:
Hama

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 05:50:58 pm »

Edmond, your my kind of modeller. I also like paddlers. I have two Duke of Devonshire & Glen Usk, I am now building Totnes Castle. West country boats. All three have steam plants fitted T.C.s not working yet though. I shall be following your build.

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 09:53:53 pm »

Hi Hammer,

What a lovely model you have built there!  I love these early paddle steamers and yours actually steam!  That is way beyond my capabilities!  I built a model of the PS Forfarshire - though the build log I think names it PS Sirius - its a generic early 19th century paddler, which paddles really well with a full rig.  You can search for it here or on YouTube and if I can pull a photo out of it I'll perhaps post it in this build log.

Today I popped into the McManus Gallery in Dundee (local museum) and took a few photos of the half-model of the B L Nairn that they have there.  I came away deciding that I might be simplifying the hull but I would build in a shear to the hull.  It would look so much better.   

So the build has started and when the glue has dried I might be able to post a first few pictures of the hull.  For the moment though a few pictures of the half model - useful because the builder's drawings are not clear as to quite how the boiler housing was shaped and this gives a clear view of the shape and of the front view of the saloon - also not contained on the builder's drawings.

But how it is placed in the cabinet in the museum , behind other models, doesn't make it at all easy to photograph....

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 11:10:42 pm »

So a little time in the workshop and the strangest hull I have ever made has been put together.  I have simplified it slightly , though actually its not so different to its original drawn lines, and I have made it a scale 18"s deeper than the original.  It allows for slightly more ballast and battery and should make it a little less tender in sailing - paddle steamers have that tendency to list for every and no reason.

Construction is plywood deck and bottom and 1/8" balsa sides.  It makes a strong light hull. 

You'll notice larger timbers around the paddle shafts.  This is half inch marine plywood, to make the hull sides and another block to take the centre bearing of the paddle shaft.  These were drilled for the paddle shaft and then glued in position with a tube lining them up, so no drilling needed later.  Its important that the paddle shaft is well supported.  It takes a lot of forces.  And one picture shows the Heng Long tank motors which I plan to use as the power unit to the independent paddles.

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 04:51:17 pm »

And a coat of resin, and the supports for the outrigger decks made up of garden wire.

That will be the underside complete - next turn the hull over and start on the exciting stuff - paddle boxes

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2018, 05:04:33 pm »

So I've been away a few days but just back and putting a few more bits together with the Fifie.  I've made a start on the paddle boxes and the cabin front separating the car deck from the saloon and the upper deck is cut out but not yet glued in place.  The tank motor set up fits very neatly in place.  The belts and pulleys are a little wide but this won't notice in these inner corridors of the boat. 

The next stage will be the start of the fun stuff - putting the saloon cabins together and beginning to wire up for lighting.

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2018, 01:50:24 pm »

Now the fun starts.....  the main saloon has been started, and the smoking saloon at the very stem/stern of the ferry.  When these spaces have the upper deck glued in place there will be no access, so that's why the passengers are already gathered in place and a little paint work has been started.  Bulwarks and the fo'c's'le are in place.  It is beginning to look like the finished article.  She's a strange looking boat....

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 10:11:14 am »

Well, I must admit to being rather naughty and just getting on with the build and not posting anything here!  So ninety per cent finished and I gave B L Nairn a test sail at the club last night.  I attach some photos.

So remember no rudders, but who needs them with independent paddle control as per the real ship.  She turns on herself speedily and is highly manoeuvrable with two sticks on a radio control system.  Interestingly though double ended and able to run either direction, having the car deck forward is much easier.  This means the paddles are nearer the stern, and steering is easier.  I think the real ship tended to run in this direction also.

So usual teething problems with a new boat.  Leaks - identified as water coming through the paddle bearings.  Tilting - a usual paddle steamer problem, but having a heavy cargo of buses and cars on the deck doesn't help added to water slopping round the bilges.  However independent paddles helps.  Start the paddle on the higher side and the paddle will dig in and bring the boat to an even keel.  After a while one of the paddles stopped turning.  This was a broken split pin.  I always create a weak link on a paddle driven boat to stop damage to gear boxes/ motors/ paddles.  But paddle boats have tremendous torque in the paddles.  Nothing apparently fouled the paddle but the pin sheared and not having another pin with me I attempted various temporary replacements but each broke in turn.  All lessons to learn!

Oh and how do you stop Corgi toys driving themselves around the deck and capsizing the ferry?  My wife came up with the brilliant idea of blutack under the axles.  Just enough stick to stop them moving about, but without any damage to boat or vehicle.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2018, 10:37:17 am »

Nice seeing her on the water, looking really good! I like the epoche bus you got on her deck  :-)
And I was just about suggesting BluTack for your cars when reading your post, but your wife beat me to it  :-))
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 21 queries.